My mom, who was ALWAYS thin before menopause, has just been slowly gaining weight and it won't budge! I tell her to go on these high protein, high fat diets and still nothing has worked. I spend a lot of time with her and I can definitely say that she eats maybe 1,000-1,200 calories a day. She is allergic to eggs and cow dairy, so she avoids those things, usually starts her day with goat yogurt, chicken sausage or maybe some smoked salmon. Lunch is always protein again, she loves to eat tuna out of the can on lettuce leaves, or sometimes just a can of sardines and maybe a salad. Dinner, roasted chicken, lots of roasted fish and some sauteed/roasted greens. She rarely eats starches, NEVER eats grains except maybe Ezekiel bread once or twice a month. She never overdoses on nuts (in fact she doesnt really eat snacks or anything too caloric) and very very rarely eats fruit.

In terms of exercise she runs up and down stairs all day long, does some light kettle bell training and walks on the treadmill 30 minutes a few times a week.

I seriously cannot figure it out for her and she is at a loss as well. Her thyroid is normal and everything else seems to be balanced. This is post menopause but still, you see people able to lose weight on this site all the time.

What else can she do? Is there anyone else that has experienced this and made some change that we haven't looked at yet? This is a healthy, active woman who needs to lose about 20 pounds.