Thread: Hi, I'm Kendall -- Cyclist from Florida, looking to clean my diet up page

Bogman is offline Junior Member

Hi, I'm Kendall -- Cyclist from Florida, looking to clean my diet up

Shop Now
    Hello folks,

I probably have a pretty typical story for new people here. I'm a masters cyclist, mid 40s, my fitness is pretty good and my weight is stable thanks to my riding. I am trying to clean up my diet and get leaner, both for health reasons and to jump up a step in my cycling performance (and let's be honest, to look better, that's always a factor).

I eat pretty well in general but I have a lifetime of food habits centered around bread and dessert, my weak points. I also drink ridiculous amounts of Diet Mountain Dew, and I have been unsuccessful in quitting that.

I'm going to ask for some ideas -- what do you do for a quick primal lunch? I go out for lunch most of the time, and the cheap/quick options are all centered around bread. Subway has been a staple of mine for a long time because I could get lots of veggies on a sub. Take the bread away though.. and :-(

The dessert thing I can deal with -- right after I finish the chocolate covered coconut balls leftover from yesterday!

Regards,

Kendall

P.S. I was having difficulties registering for the forum, and couldn't get my preferred username (kendallf) to work. I tried another browser and typed 'bogman' just being stupid, and that worked..hope I can get somebody to change it later.

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Hi. When eating out you can order a salad with some meat/chicken in it, just be careful with dressings balsamico or olive oil is the best. I also order fried eggs with bacon or an omelet without the bread. If you bring your own food boiled eggs are great or dried sausages with some carrots. Also a piece of cheese if you tolerate dairy.

There is a special book Paleo for athletes that might benefit you.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hate to say it, but most restaurant salads bore me; I feel rather bovine munching away on tasteless lettuce. If I have my druthers, I'd pick a steamed veggie mix or a stir fry. I like the sausage idea, and I think breaking eggs out of the 'breakfast only' mindset is a great idea also.

I have the Paleo diet for Athletes book; I like it, feel like it makes sense. I'm more looking for consistency in implementation these days; I know it'll do me good, I just have to tell that to my stomach more regularly!

Neely is offline Member
    Great stuff. What bike have you got? I'm a keen cyclist too, amateur. I used to have a road bike/racer but had to swap that for a hybrid because of the practicalities of where I live and commuting etc.

Anyway, I was going to also add the suggestion of boiled eggs. I go through about 30 a week myself, boiled and scrambled and they make a great snack/meal all round. You could also try to swap the diet soda for fizzy water/sparkling mineral water. You may find that this is easier to swap to because you still get the 'fizz' but not the excess carbs or crap sweeteners. Other on the go food could include any cooked meats or nuts or maybe bananas or fruit smoothies?

I have a bunch of bikes..they seem to multiply around here. My race bike is a Van Dessel that we got a team deal on last year; they even did custom stickers for our team (Velobrew Racing). Here it is earlier this summer:2012-07-23_18-02-56_764.jpg

Regards,

Kendall