Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Rate page

jonssi88 is offline Junior Member

Heart Rate

I am not sure whether I should be happy or concerned about this:

No matter how hard I seem to push myself, I can't get my heart rate past 155. Even when I am doing all out sprints it just doesn't break it. I am 22 years old and in excellent shape (IMO).

Am I simply not pushing hard enough, or is my fitness level that high, or is there a factor which I should be worried about?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Try doing walking lunges carrying 50 pound dumbbells in each hand, 3 sets of 10 each leg. It will go through the roof, I promise.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Or plyometrics. Or tabata sprints. Or crossfit...

What are you doing to "push" yourself?

I'm doing 10 tabata sprints: it doesn't matter if I do it on a bike or running, can't break that 155 level.

Geoff is offline Member
    WHOA!!! No disrespect to the other posters, but don't discount the possibility that your Max HR could really be in the vicinity of 155 bpm. The old 220-minus age formula has no scientific basis as a predictor of Max HR. Most other estimator formulas that you see out there in the wild world of www. are also subject to huge variations from person to person. Your Max HR could easily be +/- 20% (yes, twenty PERCENT) off of what those formulas would "suggest" is your true MHR. Case in point: me. When I was 35 I had a Max HR test done under the supervision of a cardiologist (long story not relevant here) I max'ed at 206. Obviously, my Max HR is on the "high" side for someone my age.

However, as long as you feel like you're "redlining" your efforts on your sprints and/or HIIT workouts you should be fine and shouldn't worry about your heart rate . Just push as hard as you can in those workouts and don't worry about the numbers on the heart rate monitor.

Also, just as there's no competition over who has the lowest resting heart rate, there's nothing special about having a higher max heart rate. If 155 bpm is where you "max out," don't sweat it. If you're serious about trying a real Max HR test, I recommend you do it under professional supervision - we don't need any Groks pulling a "Ryan Shay" - or you could try one of the low stress Max HR estimation tests like this one.

On a bike - even if you increase the resistance and stay at the same tempo after every rest period?

Yeah, I really give it everything each round...

Geoff is offline Member
    [Took this reply down because the moderators have allowed my post above (same substance as this one minus the link).]
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-14-2010 at 04:57 AM.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Geoff: I agree. We all have a different set of tools for the job of getting the most out of life. We should shoot for our own "numbers", not someone else's.

I don't check numbers. Never have. I figure that if I am breathing hard enough that I couldn't finish a sentence easily, then I am pushing just right. Maybe one day that would be somewhere different than on another day.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree for the most part and train with my lactate threshold rather than my bpm in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast