Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dining with family and friends page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

dining with family and friends

Shop Now
    How do you manage?

My husband and I cook and eat most meals at home. He doesn't enjoy restaurant food much, and we both do our best to avoid vegetable oils, preservatives, etc. We're going to visit and stay with my family soon for a couple of months, and they eat most meals out (Chinese food), and for meals at home, cook with vegetable oil, soy, sauces with preservatives. Almost everyone we know like all the foods we avoid. What do you do when with company and you don't want to eat what they are eating? Especially if there's not much other options.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    80/20 and when there choose the best options you can. It is not idea but if you are at a friends house and they have cooked in veg oil you will live.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    1. Be a thoughtful houseguest. Offer to cook for them and buy all the food.

2. Be a polite houseguest and eat what's on the menu, unless you have a severe allergy/intolerance. Eating out means you have some control over what ends up on your plate.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

2. Be a polite houseguest and eat what's on the menu, unless you have a severe allergy/intolerance. Eating out means you have some control over what ends up on your plate.
    for the win!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    wow---you need to adhere to their food for a few months? I would def. offer to cook and take over that responsibility or at least try to cook for yourselves whenever possible.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

paul900 Guest
    don't adhere to their food. buy your own and cook your own. this is your health we are talking about here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    80/20 and when there choose the best options you can. It is not idea but if you are at a friends house and they have cooked in veg oil you will live.
    Lol, true! I always thought 80/20 would be for things I want to cheat on, not forced to!

I know a few times here and there won't kill me, but not daily, which may be the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

Thanks for this reminder

I would offer to cook, but most members of my family don't care for home-cooked food. They use things like hoisin sauce, char sui sauce, etc liberally, and like food to be very tasty. My mother can't stand coconut oil or butter. And they say very frankly they won't eat what I make (I love them anyway)!

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    wow---you need to adhere to their food for a few months? I would def. offer to cook and take over that responsibility or at least try to cook for yourselves whenever possible.
    Thanks! This seems to be the best solution, just cooking for my dh, dd, and myself as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by paul900 View Post
    don't adhere to their food. buy your own and cook your own. this is your health we are talking about here...
    The last few visits I've just gone along and eaten their food. The convenience of free food and not having to cook grows on you after awhile, especially in the big city where they live, where eating out is cheaper than cooking at home! But I do wish to stop this, and try to make a greater effort to make my own food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast