Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dining with family and friends page 2

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    you might just mention that you would like to stick to eating as close as you do at home to avoid tummy issues so you all can enjoy your visit more. Perhaps phrasing it diplomatically with family and how you would hate to be a downer by not feeling 100% they will understand and the vacation will not revolve around food. Just a thought
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

2. Be a polite houseguest and eat what's on the menu, unless you have a severe allergy/intolerance. Eating out means you have some control over what ends up on your plate.
    Actually, dining out Chinese-style isn't like the western way where everyone can order their own appetizers and entrees. Food is ordered as a group and shared in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    you might just mention that you would like to stick to eating as close as you do at home to avoid tummy issues so you all can enjoy your visit more. Perhaps phrasing it diplomatically with family and how you would hate to be a downer by not feeling 100% they will understand and the vacation will not revolve around food. Just a thought
    LOL, I mentioned something similar to my sister, and she replied, "But you've had preservatives your whole life!" and in reply to my not allowing her to feed my daughter cookies, "Don't you think she should grow up with normal food?"

Luckily, the last visit proved that my husband really is intolerant to the stuff they use in cooking, so that reason is valid

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    How do you manage?

My husband and I cook and eat most meals at home. He doesn't enjoy restaurant food much, and we both do our best to avoid vegetable oils, preservatives, etc. We're going to visit and stay with my family soon for a couple of months, and they eat most meals out (Chinese food), and for meals at home, cook with vegetable oil, soy, sauces with preservatives. Almost everyone we know like all the foods we avoid. What do you do when with company and you don't want to eat what they are eating? Especially if there's not much other options.
    offer to cook
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    How do you manage?

My husband and I cook and eat most meals at home. He doesn't enjoy restaurant food much, and we both do our best to avoid vegetable oils, preservatives, etc. We're going to visit and stay with my family soon for a couple of months, and they eat most meals out (Chinese food), and for meals at home, cook with vegetable oil, soy, sauces with preservatives. Almost everyone we know like all the foods we avoid. What do you do when with company and you don't want to eat what they are eating? Especially if there's not much other options.
    set up pylons around the bathroom and explain that a change in diet will result in more bathroom time
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    1. Be a thoughtful houseguest. Offer to cook for them and buy all the food.

2. Be a polite houseguest and eat what's on the menu, unless you have a severe allergy/intolerance. Eating out means you have some control over what ends up on your plate.
    Yeah, making poor health choices to appease other people is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mostofthetime7 View Post
    Yeah, making poor health choices to appease other people is awesome.
    Thanks for this perspective!

Eating more primally seems to counter 'enjoyment of regular food'. Probably all restaurants use vegetable oils in their food, the only way is to cook at home. I don't care for most restaurant food anyway (except really good steakhouses or sashimi), just enjoy the company.

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Thanks! This seems to be the best solution, just cooking for my dh, dd, and myself as much as possible.

I would do this as well. If anything, you could make a list of "Will eat", "Will Not Eat", and "Will eat in moderation" and go from there. If someone would have shown up with a home made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, I probably would have had a slice seeing as how they made it from scratch...but there are certain things I will not fold on and am quite stubborn about (fast food being one)...

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    set up pylons around the bathroom and explain that a change in diet will result in more bathroom time
    hand out numbers and take the first 50 hahahahah
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Neely is offline Member
    A couple of months? Jesus. I can't stand family for more than a few hours. How do you do that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast