Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon for $7.50 lb... Possible? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon for $7.50 lb... Possible?

Primal Fuel
    I stumbled upon some true wild alaskan salmon on Sunday... it was only $14.99 for 2 lbs. I have eaten wild alaskan salmon in the past, but it contained its own marinate on it. We all know how bad those can be. I want to marinate it myself! Or do what I want with it!

So, I simply went over to the fish area at my local supermarket. Yes, a supermarket. I must say, I am VERY impressed with Meijer - anyone else shop there?

Well, they have Icy Straights Wild Alaskan Salmon. You can by a whole salmon or one that is cut into nice patties. Both are simply salmon - nothing added to it. But, $7.50 per pound seems to be cheap... am I right?

Has anyone else had this brand of seafood? I can't wait to try it!!!!!

They also have halibut, spot prawns, herring, salmon caviar, blackcod, and king crab. Check out there website here: http://www.icystraitseafoods.com/

They seem to be very legit. If anyone buys this brand let me know!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't know that brand, but that's approximately what I pay for frozen wild salmon at my supermarket.

Well, when I showed my Dad he was really surprised. I was too. I wonder if anyone else has heard of the brand... I am so glad I found this though. I will be eating a lot more salmon now

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I used to shop at Meijer, growing up in MI. I miss it! I get wild pacific salmon (frozen sockeye) for very cheap at Trader Joe's. Thank goodness for TJ's!

Hey, a Michigander! Where in MI did you grow up? Where do you live now? I hope to move out of here soon... I also plan on traveling all over. Not sure where I want to end up though - I need to explore more

No Trader Joe's here... but we need one!

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually endorse WalMart (especially their produce), but they have frozen Wild Caught Salmon 2 lbs for $7. I've had it many times and it's very good.

2 lbs. for $7? Are you sure it is true Wild salmon? Is it Atlantic? If its the real deal then I need to stock up immediately. I am just beginning to realize how awesome salmon is for you.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    From what I've checked up on - it is. Caveat: It says product of China on the package. I've done the obligatory web search and, from what I've been able to find, it's caught in Alaska, shipped to China for processing/packaging, and shipped back to the USofA for sale at your friendly neighborhood (sarcasm) WalMart. Distributed out of Seattle. They advertise the Marine Stewardship Council’s (MSC) approval label on the package.

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/5910.aspx

Some reviews on the web are not positive, but I had it last night and it was very good. Then again – my wife is a wonderful cook.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Hey Dosenberry!
    I lived in Travese City until I was 11 and then in Grand Haven, so not too far from GR. I've been in Nashville, TN for almost 13 years, but I go to TC every summer and, when I can make it, in the fall (SO pretty!)

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    Distributed out of Seattle by way of China?
    Makes no sense what so ever.

Personally, I question anything out of China - for myself and my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    From what I've checked up on - it is. Caveat: It says product of China on the package. I've done the obligatory web search and, from what I've been able to find, it's caught in Alaska, shipped to China for processing/packaging, and shipped back to the USofA for sale at your friendly neighborhood (sarcasm) WalMart. Distributed out of Seattle. They advertise the Marine Stewardship Council’s (MSC) approval label on the package.

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/5910.aspx

Some reviews on the web are not positive, but I had it last night and it was very good. Then again – my wife is a wonderful cook.
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast