Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cyclical ketogenic and carb loading page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I have a carb re-feed from time to time, but I don't set a date for it, ie; once a week, ect...I do it when I feel stagnated.
    I think it's a good idea to throw a curveball in there every now and then. It seems to give me a new setpoint to work foward from. Sort of resets my system for a renewed push towards better body composition.
    I think the refeed is what was missing for me when I was LC/HF, and why weight loss stopped. I do okay with a 3 way split also, so not really a need to refeed doing that, but I try to really watch where the calories are coming from so I don't get stuck in the same rut.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

CS56 is offline Junior Member
    By 3 way split do you mean fat protein and carbs? I thought its generally better to consume more fat in proportion to carbs especially? I also wonder whether fat adaption is permanent, Mark has said that part of the idea here is to make your body able to consume whatever you can "find" so if it means higher carbs your body should be able to handle that without losing it's fat adaption? Can someone explain this to me further? In an evolutionary sense wouldn't those living further south or in more tropical climates be used or adapted to eating large quantities of fruit?

Yal I actually shoot for anything less than 40% fat, and usually end up with a 3 way. I got my info from here. Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

Maintenance may look entirely different. Maybe up to about 60% fat. I can still lose at 60% fat even up to about 70-75, it is just slower. Just my n=1

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's important to mix everything up, especially net calories in/out. Our nervous systems cannot possibly estimate calories out anywhere near as accurately as calories in. This is where being active and exercising and doing the minimum of 5 hours low-level cardio a week comes into play.

Creating a calorie deficit 2-3 days a week on average through targetted activity has enabled me to lose a lot of fat and gain muscle without having to decrease my calorie intake or go hungry. If anything I'm consuming more calories daily than when I started. PB explains how this is possible ... i.e. avoid CW chronic low-calorie dieting.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Creating a calorie deficit 2-3 days a week on average through targetted activity has enabled me to lose a lot of fat and gain muscle without having to decrease my calorie intake or go hungry. If anything I'm consuming more calories daily than when I started. PB explains how this is possible ... i.e. avoid CW chronic low-calorie dieting.
    I am thinking that is why the LC/HF didnt work so hot for me. Because I was full on way fewer calories. For many months. As soon as I switched up the macros, and was hungrier too I guess, I started losing again. And some days, I was on the upper end of my "range" for weight loss, but still lost weight whereas I was stalling while chronically on the low end. Now I am trying to do more zig-zagging. Some high days, some low days. I know some ppl carb cycle. I havent really fine tuned it that much, though naturally some days are more than others.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am thinking that is why the LC/HF didnt work so hot for me. Because I was full on way fewer calories. For many months. As soon as I switched up the macros, and was hungrier too I guess, I started losing again. And some days, I was on the upper end of my "range" for weight loss, but still lost weight whereas I was stalling while chronically on the low end. Now I am trying to do more zig-zagging. Some high days, some low days. I know some ppl carb cycle. I havent really fine tuned it that much, though naturally some days are more than others.
    You are one switched on lady.

Zig-zagging is the way to go for avoiding suppression of basal metabolic rate.

Avoid doing just about anything chronically over the timescale of more than a few days and you will reap the benefits.

I don't carb cycle very much - I eat low carb in line with PB (around 120-150 g net carbs a day on 2500 cals daily energy intake, active lifestyle). I cycle calories out/calories in much more so than carbs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

This is going to be difficult to adapt to, how do people who are primal, or fit for that matter keep their body fat levels constant once they have initially gotten their body fat levels down? I'm in ketosis right now, and the intention is to be primal after that, but don't really know how I will maintain whatever my ideal body fat level is. There are the normal bodybuilders(even competition eaters-furious pete) and athletes who do consume grains and don't follow primal diets who maintain very good bodies, at least good looking. I know they must work a lot to keep those levels low but I would really like to put in minimum effort when it comes to working out since there will be many times where I'm not able to. My main concern here comes from the fact that I am a teen, but with a lower metabolism, not obese or fat, just kind of normal and even with exercise previously, my fat seems EXTREMELY stubborn even with large amounts of cardio during track season, which is why I am resorting to ketosis.

Also, on another note, not sure if I should start a new thread for this but, I've read that on high fat, low carb diets, levels of IGF-1, despite the idea(not sure if its true or debatable) that HGH and testosterone should be higher when there is less insulin, go down which bothers me not only because I want to gain muscle mass, but also because my major goal is to try and increase my height while I still have better chances of growing. My growth spurt was early and since then I haven't really had another "spurt". Not sure there have been topics on this, but if anyone can help by pointing me to articles or another thread that would be great.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I keep my bodyfat levels down (now that they're pretty low), by engaging in solid bodyweight training a few times a week, tossing in some lifting every now and then, long walks, and some light cardio maybe once a week.

I also continue to fast because it makes me feel good (it is detoxifying and all), and I'm sure that has a very beneficial effect on my ability to stay lean without losing TOO much muscle (since fasting is inherently sparing of muscle unless you overdo it).

Anyone? To make the last question simpler, if you're on CKD which many claim to increase IGF-1, HGH and Testosterone, does that increase come only during the refeed or does it effect you the whole "normal" part of the week?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast