Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a difficult time gaining mass while staying Primal page 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Go back to basics, with a good compound routine. SS SL or if you feel you are more advanced Madcow or another advanced routine. Heck you might even benefit from a month of 20 rep squats. before doing the above.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Koobs is offline Member
    If you want to gain mass you need to eat more. That's really all there is to it. I am in the same boat as you right now. Except I am stuck at 175lbs at 6'0''. To give you an idea of what a normal day of eating is for me.. I am eating 6 eggs and lots of bacon every morning. Dinners are usually a pound of meat and a pound of veggies. Lunch is a little under a pound of chicken, half pound of veggies. I also take two scoops of whey on my workout days. Plenty of snacks too to try to get more calories in. I haven't kept track of my calories since getting on this diet back in june, but I think I am eating about 3500-4000 cals a day easy. So like I said, if you want to gain some mass.. start eating!

Chaloney is offline Member

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    So I'm about 6,0-6,1 135 pounds. I go to the gym 3 days out of the week, Mon-Wed-Fri

I know how to lift, I got my workout routine down. I've hit a plateau though, and i've been stuck on this plateau for a year

I just don't know how to eat properly. I have an incredibly fast metabolism. I'm also an undergraduate student, and the food at my university is expensive for a small amount, its ridiculous.

Along with all this, I love eating my veggies. Broccoli, Cauliflower, bell peppers, etc. I like having a salad every meal, or at least in two meals out of the day.

With that being said, I'm having an incredibly difficult time meeting my caloric needs to gain mass. Going primal, that need becomes even harder to meet.

I'm what you would consider an "ectomorph."

Do you guys think I need to step outside of the primal diet to gain mass?
    Yes, you do buddy and I believe Mark would agree with me if he was being honest. For your goals plus your circumstances, age and metabolism going outside of PB will be required if you want to reach your goals. Just add some of the best carbs available (qunioa, brown rice, sweet potato, buckwheat, and so on) and have a cheatmeal once or twice a week preferably on heavy workout days so you at least get something from it i.e. extra calories which enables swifter recovery.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    chaloney ftw!

i'd tweak your workout routine (you should be gassed after the squats, not ready for leg presses), but i don't think it's the major issue.

it's the food & calorie intake. you need to eat big - salads do not count. you need dairy and fat and eggs. you should be pounding whole eggs, cheese and white rice or potatoes like there's no tomorrow. sometimes training is uncomfortable or hard right? take the same approach to eating.

lots of people would kill to be on your side of the coin, but the grass is always greener...

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Eat what you're eating now but add in an entire chicken per day... or a dozen eggs... or a gallon of whole milk.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    Eat what you're eating now but add in an entire chicken per day... or a dozen eggs... or a gallon of whole milk.
    I'm he'd be better off adding some decent carbs than eating that much protein and that much milk.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    We're all a little different, but I had a serious strength and fat-loss breakthrough when I upped meat to about a pound a day, minimum. So I'd also advocate an extra dozen eggs, slab of beef heart, etc. Can't vote for milk, though, unless you have raw milk locally. Carbs are not the devil, but for general health and fitness (AKA, not gladiator, fight to death workouts daily) the 50 to 150 gram range ought to be plenty - for guys like me. YMMV.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    I'm he'd be better off adding some decent carbs than eating that much protein and that much milk.
    OP may have to choose between being perfectly primal and getting up to a reasonable weight, then being perfectly primal thereafter. Milk has a great ratio of C:P:F for bulking up, even if it's not the most primal-approved option. I agree that it will be damnably hard to eat an entire chicken in addition to that diet. In any case, he needs far fewer salads, far more butter/steak/egg yolks/heavy cream/bacon/lobster/cheese/sweet potatoes.

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    If you've been doing the same routine over and over for a year matched with insufficient macronutrients then no wonder your not gaining

seriously, start switching your workouts, never do the same routine ever. You got to keep your body guessing otherwise it just goes "same old same old, nothing new required here"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast