Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Plank? page 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Hmm, not sure - although I have been thinking about writing something for Outside Magazine, which I believe is available there. The link to the magazine is here:

Welcome | Outdoor Fitness Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post

Do you know if that's available outside the UK? I'm wondering if I can find it in Canada.
    I am pretty sure is it at our local libraries.

Sorry should have checked first - not in the library
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-24-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I am pretty sure is it at our local libraries.
    That's awesome! It's a pretty big magazine so I wouldn't be surprised.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Thought it was but it isn't...I think I am going to request that it is brought in.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Thought it was but it isn't...I think I am going to request that it is brought in.
    Sad face. Definitely think you should put in a request!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    That bag looks pretty good - the handleless bags are awesome for grip strength too. I just use basic coarse sand - £1.58 for 25kg from Homebase.
    Best bet is to take someone old to B&Q on a wednesday for 10% off day, it gives them an outing, though I have a trade card anyway so don't need to
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Best bet is to take someone old to B&Q on a wednesday for 10% off day, it gives them an outing, though I have a trade card anyway so don't need to
    Yep - that works!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I liked your article Coach Palfrey!

I used to do planks, on occasion, but I've come to believe that the key to worthwhile core strength (meaning the type we want to develop to become more functional humans) is to teach ourselves to maintain healthy spinal posture while doing other exercises, especially exercises that mimic things we might do in real life. So I consider maintaining excellent spinal posture during squatting, deadlifting, OH pressing, farmer's walks, carrying a sandbag on your shoulders, doing a kettlebell clean, etc, to be the key to developing truly useful core strength.

I guess I'd say that one should be "doing abs" throughout the entire workout, without ever doing a single exercise that most would consider an ab exercise.

This is counter-intuitive in our current fitness culture. Thanks for bringing it up and making us all think about it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I liked your article Coach Palfrey!

I used to do planks, on occasion, but I've come to believe that the key to worthwhile core strength (meaning the type we want to develop to become more functional humans) is to teach ourselves to maintain healthy spinal posture while doing other exercises, especially exercises that mimic things we might do in real life. So I consider maintaining excellent spinal posture during squatting, deadlifting, OH pressing, farmer's walks, carrying a sandbag on your shoulders, doing a kettlebell clean, etc, to be the key to developing truly useful core strength.

I guess I'd say that one should be "doing abs" throughout the entire workout, without ever doing a single exercise that most would consider an ab exercise.

This is counter-intuitive in our current fitness culture. Thanks for bringing it up and making us all think about it a bit.
    Completely agree!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, not sure - although I have been thinking about writing something for Outside Magazine, which I believe is available there. The link to the magazine is here:

Welcome | Outdoor Fitness Magazine
    Outside Magazine is available here--I've picked it up a few times at Mountain Equipment Coop and it's been good. I hope you end up writing for them! I may have to look around and see if anyone brings Outdoor Fitness in here. We used to have a good international magazine shop that I liked, but they closed down, and I haven't looked for a replacement. Maybe Dirlot and I just have to start lobbying our public library for it!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Outside Magazine is available here--I've picked it up a few times at Mountain Equipment Coop and it's been good. I hope you end up writing for them! I may have to look around and see if anyone brings Outdoor Fitness in here. We used to have a good international magazine shop that I liked, but they closed down, and I haven't looked for a replacement. Maybe Dirlot and I just have to start lobbying our public library for it!
    Yep, fingers crossed. I'll probably aim for it in the new year - my to do list is about a mile long right now! Definitely think you guys should lobby the library for it, my editor would love that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123