Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts page

PhilR is offline Member

Nuts

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this question, but I wanted to know if almonds slow down weight loss. Every time I have a question then I read it back it just seems like an obvious bad question. This may be one of those.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    They can because they're carby, contain lectins, and have high n-6 PUFA. Make no mistake, they're good for you, but you can definitely overdo it, and they aren't fantastic for weight loss.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I limit them for the sake of their omega-6 content, but I know others who occasionally indulge with no problems. Some people on the forums who are looking to lose weight have found that eliminating all nuts and dairy has helped in reaching their goals.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    And they're really calorie dense and too easy to eat too many.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    I still eat them pretty regularly (macadamia's more so than almonds), but being in weight loss mode, I pre-weigh a small portion in the morning (usually an ounce, maybe two depending on how physical the day will be) and that's my allotment for the day. I'm sunk if I keep a bigger bag of them handy! Also, I'm prepared to give them up (hopefully only temporarily!) should my weight loss stall or slow way down (which I'm expecting to start happening soon as I get closer to my target...).

PhilR is offline Member
    They did raise my BG reading a little. Darn things are so good. Thanks for the input. I guess they get locked up for a while.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed soaking them reduces the chance of overeating, that's in my experience. Probably has to do with the absence of anti-nutrients and the nutrients actually activating satiety hormones.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    I've noticed soaking them reduces the chance of overeating, that's in my experience. Probably has to do with the absence of anti-nutrients and the nutrients actually activating satiety hormones.
    then there's the other problem... i like them more when they're soaked. ah well.

Ali
    Ali is offline Member
    When I cut out nuts inadvertantly (I couldn't make it to my fave store for a big bag for a few weeks) I noticed some weight loss. I think i was just in the habit of eating a handful at 10am each morning for no particular reason.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nuts are so easy to over-eat. I made a rule. No nuts in my house if they don't have a shell. The shells slow me down- lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast