Thread: I still can't believe that we are given such bad nutritional advice! page

jonnyhollis is offline Junior Member

Question I still can't believe that we are given such bad nutritional advice!

Primal Fuel
    I'm talking about the advice peddled by governments and health professionals. Seriously, at least once a day, I find myself stunned by this and it has turned me into a bit of a preacher.

The most staggering aspect of these guidelines is that they are almost exactly wrong. If you were to list the main nuggets, you'd be better off doing the polar opposite. In fact I'll give it a go:

Some of the official guidelines (and the last lot my doctor gave me were sponsored by Flora):

• Get most of your calories from starchy carbs, not fat and protein
    • Don't eat much saturated fat
    • Low fat / high sugar is best
    • If you've got diabetes, eat 'healthy' simple carbs, especially grains
    • The 5 a day thing making no distinction between sugary fruit, sugary fruit juices and veg
    • Do several hours of intense cardio a week
    • Low fat spreads made by bubbling hydrogen at 200c through oils, being 'healthy'
    • Animal fats being unhealthy
    • Red meat is bad
    • Vegetarian and vegan diets seen as healthy
    • No acknowledgement of a high carb diet being almost impossible to keep under control because of the cycle of sugar rush - insulin spike - carb crave
    • Low carb diets being branded as unhealthy
    • The old drink loads of water for no reason - this is probably not going to hurt anybody but it's still nonsense
    • Our friend the super-duper healthy high fiber breakfast, such as your muesli
    • 'Natural' sugars somehow being seen by the body as somehow different from other sugars, which is largely untrue
    • Obesity is caused by eating too much fatty food, too much sugary food (true) and inactivity and not by carbs and the fat storing effects of insulin

Then there's the misconceptions about saturated fat causing heart disease through atherosclerosis and not through a high carb out of control diet. Then the related misconceptions about raised cholesterol levels being the root of all evil including global terrorism.

I am a recent convert, 1 year in, so I'll get over it. At least I hope so because I've got very boring and also quite lean. Yeah! F you health officials! I'm going to sell your statins on the blackmarket and spend the money on lard and beef dripping!

I hope they carry on though, because I'll have no soap box to stand on if the nutritional advice revolution comes.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking the same thing. It's such that I can't even have a rational conversation about nutrition with anybody without being scoffed at...

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Several years back I had to have surgery on my knee. I spent a week on a surgical ward which happened to have a lot of really ill people. I befriended an older nurse and we would talk of medicine and treatments and such. One thing she said to me and it really stopped me in my thought process. I commented that many of the patients on the ward were not being cured, merely treated for symptoms and management of their conditions. She laughed and leaned toward me and said, "honey, there is no money in cure".

And that's why things are the way they are in CW food and medicine...there is a LOT of money to made off sick people. It will never change because enabling a healthy and well informed lifestyle is an individual act of responsibility which the majority of people are incapable of executing.
    Last edited by Moochy; 11-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Enokai is offline Junior Member
    As a nurse I have to assist patients with "dietary education" and the stuff they get in our handouts, from the nutritionist and doctors is horrible. Its just shocking, but I cant fight it either; usually I just tell patients that I believe in a diet that is the least processed as possible (veggies, natural plant/nut fat, nuts, fruit, and meat) and recommend limiting all processed food, including things like pasta and bread...

Its kinda my only happy medium, since I cant really say, hey go eat primal! although i've told people to look into it & its how I eat.

@moochy- exactly, dead people dont make us money. (thats what we say at least) in my line of work we save a lot of dying people to keep them alive and so they are trapped in the medical system: too sick of leave, but we "saved" them so they cant die. ugh.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    i used to discuss nutrition but i don't bother to anymore. my hubby is sick of hearing about it and everyone else think i'm irrationally insane. i eat my way and don"t give a darn what anyone else thinks. Feast your eyes on this healthy body and keep wondering what you are doing wrong.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Few years back DH had "elevated cholesterol". Something like 210 total. He was given a print out with which foods are okay to consume and which to avoid. I remember avocado was towards the top of the forbidden foods list..... WTH!

I wish I had known better back then. Anyway that family doctor (which was a total bitch btw), is now fired anyway.

And yes, this
    And that's why things are the way they are in CW food and medicine...there is a LOT of money to made off sick people. It will never change because change is an individual act of responsibility which the majority of people are incapable of executing.
    is one of the reasons, if not the main reason we are being fed all the CW crap. We all need to be our own advocate when it comes to health and nutrition.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    i used to discuss nutrition but i don't bother to anymore. my hubby is sick of hearing about it and everyone else think i'm irrationally insane. i eat my way and don"t give a darn what anyone else thinks. Feast your eyes on this healthy body and keep wondering what you are doing wrong.
    +1

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I figure we can well afford the better grass-fed meats/butter with what we are saving on medical bills...

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    I figure we can well afford the better grass-fed meats/butter with what we are saving on medical bills...
    Absolutely.

My animals are all fed a species appropriate diet (raw meat, bones, and organs). My young dog was having a lot of medical problems, and when I switched diets, they didn't disappear 100% but that young dog is now old and doesn't look it or act it.

And the same CW still stands.... "Raw meat is bad and will make them bloodthirsty. Bones are dangerous". No, chemically laden sugar air popped crap is dangerous...my vets always comment on how well my dogs look, but then turns around and tells me how I'm killing them by not feeding a grain based diet. 'K...

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    Speak of which, ads for The Biggest Loser are starting on tv. I hated the premise of the show before going Primal, something in me knew it was wrong. Now that I am primal, I just pity the participants. It doesn't have to be that painful!