View Poll Results: up calories? to what?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay there, youre good.

2 20.00%
  • 1800-2000

4 40.00%
  • 2000-2500 (specify in post)

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am i eating too LITTLE? page

Bischov is offline Junior Member

Am i eating too LITTLE?

Hi, my problem is that my weight loss has stalled despite regular activity, sprints, and a large deficit. Sixteen, 6 foot, and 195 lbs. (Down from 250!) My kcal intake is about 1500-1800 a day, mostly protein and fat. Should I add more since im stalled? I lift 3/week, sprint, attend school where I'm walking across a rather large campus, and walk briskly maybe 7 hours a week. Up calories?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Have you got a picture?
    The reason I ask is that I don't think 195 is heavy for 6ft, but obviously that depends on body composition.

It also depends on your goal, are you trying to build muscle or lose fat? The two may not be mutually exclusive, but having one as a priority may effect whether you stay in what sounds like a calorie restricted state to me, or add calories.

Just a thought and probably not too helpful, sorry.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Bro, eat & lift. Just work on your body comp, 195 @ 6' is great if your body comp is good.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    FYI I eat 4000-5000 kcal/day. But I'm gaining weight.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

emmie is offline Senior Member
    How are you defining 'stalled'? Dr. Atkins used to say that 'stalled' is at least 6 weeks with no change in scale number or measurements. Too many people expect daily or weekly losses (on the scale), and our bodies often don't operate like that.

The idea that eating too little will 'stall' you is an urban myth, popularized even by people who should know better like Dr. Oz. If that were true, then anorexics would never lose weight.

At 16, please don't become obsessed with your weight.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    If I understand you correctly, you are not losing weight at this point, presumably because your energy and repair needs are being met by your diet. So, your proposal would be to add energy to a system that is demonstrably at energy equilibrium, because a surfeit of energy will somehow induce this system to convert mass into yet more energy rather than converting the energy surplus into mass.

Does that sound about right? Further, does that sound to you like a successful strategy? You would be violating all sorts of fundamental laws of physics if you could pull that off. But if you can, I would happily invest in your perpetual motion machine.

Some things to try, in no particular order: eat less, train more, change your macro nutrient breakdown.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, eating too few calories leads to stalled weight loss. I WAS averaging 1200-1400 calories (5'3, ~135 at the time), very active, solid weight plateau for well over a year. A sports nutritionist convinced to me increase my caloric intake by more than 50% and the pounds started falling off again. It happens. My diet was as clean as possible at the time (as clean a CW low-fat diet can be) and the only thing I changed was my daily calorie intake.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You're 16. YOU'RE STILL GROWING. Your body is probably hanging onto every calorie because it NEEDS it for growth. Teens probably burn 1800 cal just getting up and walking to the fridge. EAT for optimal health, MOVE for optimal body comp. Disregard the scale.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I am a female, 31 yrs old, 5'7", 175 lbs. I eat about 1800-1900 calories. I'm done growing, you're not. I think you may be undereating. If you increase, be sure to choose good quality nutritious foods.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are 16 and still growing. Eat more, lift more, and let your body grow...just not so much horizontally.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast