View Poll Results: up calories? to what?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay there, youre good.

2 20.00%
  • 1800-2000

4 40.00%
  • 2000-2500 (specify in post)

4 40.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am i eating too LITTLE? page 4

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If lack of food the body must get energy from some where to cover its demands, but you seem to imply that the body in a energy deficit convert incoming food to fat for storage? This seem very awkward when the body anyway is in demand of energy, so my question above is where do the body take its energy from when incoming food is stored as fat because the body feel treatened that there will not be enough food?
    This is how I interpret this:

Say an active, weightlifting person is eating their daily required calories, which is 1,800.

That person then drops to eating 1,400 calories/day.

Maybe they will lose some fat, but it's also possible that instead of requiring 1,800 calories, the body will downregulate some processes so that it only needs to expend 1,400 which allows the body to regain homeostatis. For example, immune activity may decrease, hair may not grow as fast or full, fertility/virility might be reduced, body temperature might be lowered, etc...

Now the person's daily requirement is 1,400 calories, and returning to the previous requirement of 1,800 may produce fat gain.

Or, maybe while eating 1,400 calories, the person has less energy, and therefore reduces activity levels (from reading Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition articles, this is extremely common, and most people aren't even aware that they are being less active).

Now the person has a calorie requirement of 1,400 calories, but this is based on previous activity levels, which have unknowingly decreased. This leads to fat gain because there is a surplus when the person is assuming there is a deficit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    This is how I interpret this:

Say an active, weightlifting person is eating their daily required calories, which is 1,800.

That person then drops to eating 1,400 calories/day.

Maybe they will lose some fat, but it's also possible that instead of requiring 1,800 calories, the body will downregulate some processes so that it only needs to expend 1,400 which allows the body to regain homeostatis. For example, immune activity may decrease, hair may not grow as fast or full, fertility/virility might be reduced, body temperature might be lowered, etc....
    Yes, but I think people are exaggerating the amount of energy the body is using on these activities, and I am not sure if it happens to any degree before people getting extremely lean either. Downregulation of physical ACTIVITY I fully agree can play a significant role though, but some of the arguments above and among many dieters, is that even when you exercise more and harder and eat less, still it is not possible to lose weight.

Now the person's daily requirement is 1,400 calories, and returning to the previous requirement of 1,800 may produce fat gain.
    Not according to several people on this thread and otherwise, that claim that eating more and also exercising less make you overcome a stall and start losing weight again!

Or, maybe while eating 1,400 calories, the person has less energy, and therefore reduces activity levels (from reading Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition articles, this is extremely common, and most people aren't even aware that they are being less active).
    Yes, there you have the main reason for stalling among most dieters in my opinion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234