Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puffing up not losing weight page

SAGrokette is offline Junior Member

Puffing up not losing weight

Shop Now
    Hi

I have been on Primal for over two weeks now, very focused on keeping carbs around 50 g for the past week now. Have done a few IF's. Exercise is Primal. Getting a decent amount of fat in.

Been very fatigued this week and my mood very low. I am finding that my face is puffy, my sinuses flared up, I am very tired especially in the afternoon and very thirsty all of the time. At first I felt like I was more defined, but now its seems not so.

Did anyone experience low carb flu symptoms like this? Did anyone puff up a little in the beginning?

My diet pre-primal was not the SAD. My exercise was walking and interval training. The only thing I was eating that could contribute to weight was milk chocolate ...daily .. or most days.

I would have thought just cutting that out for three weeks I would see a drastic change. But I haven't. I weigh about 67kg, the last time I had a body fat test I was 26%.

In the past when I eat salads, I tend to bloat and gain water. I have been eating lots of salads as its easier to prepare. I would hate not to be able to eat raw food.

I am really at a loss here. Any ideas? I am starting to feel demotivated and the carrot cake at the coffee shop looks more and more enticing (I never enjoyed cake before!) ... seeing that Im not seeing results.

If I had energy, a clear head, better mood ... it would be easier to stick to this even without fat loss. But thats not happening either.

SAGrokette is offline Junior Member
    I didnt mention what i was eating:

2 tbsp coconut oil in coffee or green tea, tbsp xylitol (birch tree extract)

Lunch: 100g or so of fish / lamb / lean beef
    salad
    1 tbsp fenugreek sprouts
    1/4 avocado

Snack: pecans or macadamia or almonds - all raw

Supper 6pm or even earlier: Same as above

No alcohol, no diary

I tried eating the Leptin Rx, but 50 g of protein is just too much for me. I found that it was stretching my stomach, not what i want for myself. LOL

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member
    What exactly do you eat?
    What is a decent amount of fat? What kind of fat? What are you getting at the coffee shop? You shouldn't be fasting yet. What are your "salads"? If you are thirsty, drink. You will have "carb flu" or whatever, yes; your body will be changing and reacting to the food and changing drastically hormonally for the next few months.

Edit after the second post: You are doing well. Possibly increase saturated fat intake. Eat more diverse vegetables, especially greens. Do not expect anything and take up a hobby to distract yourself for the next few months.
    Last edited by Cavebot 3.0; 11-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    That's not much food. I am not trying to lose but I'm eating way more than that. Everything looks great, it's just that you don't seem to be eating very much unless you're eating a huge quantity of nuts and not realizing it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Excess sodium intake maybe?

50g of protein too much? How is that possible? You should be eating around 150g (100g on the low end) a day, give or take.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It seems people who have destroyed their appetites don't do well on Primal. I know of more than a few journals that cosistently drop ,"Today I ate a bean sprout and three grapes. This is going to make me fat." These anorexic people will never eat enough to heal their bodies. Until you can eat more, your body will be falling apart. Don't blame Primal for the fact that you need to eat more. Work up to it if you have to. But until you can eat at least you BMR per day, you will be telling your body, "There isn't enough food, stay fat so we don't die." Sorry to be blunt, but I see this over and over and over. Just stuff your face. Eat until you are BLOATED for about six months before expecting to see any changes. I GAINED like 15 pounds at first, stuffing my face with nuts while my body slowly became convinced that food was abundant. Then it melted off, in the next year and a half of consistently eating large, fatty, nutrient dense meals with lots of liver and cooked greens every week. Just do it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any comment on the amount of food you list because I have to eat very low calorie myself just to maintain my weight, something the men on this site often fail to understand about females.

However, if the bloating you're experiencing correlates to the increase in salads (raw veggies), I'd experiment by eliminating all raw vegetables for a while to see if that's the problem. I've known people who cannot tolerate a large portion of their diet raw.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    x2 on very little raw food. Mostly cooked sits best with some people, myself included. I mean, apples, berries, etc seem to be okay, but greens in large amounts just don't digest at all.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAGrokette View Post
    I didnt mention what i was eating:

2 tbsp coconut oil in coffee or green tea, tbsp xylitol (birch tree extract)

Lunch: 100g or so of fish / lamb / lean beef
    salad
    1 tbsp fenugreek sprouts
    1/4 avocado

Snack: pecans or macadamia or almonds - all raw

Supper 6pm or even earlier: Same as above

No alcohol, no diary

I tried eating the Leptin Rx, but 50 g of protein is just too much for me. I found that it was stretching my stomach, not what i want for myself. LOL
    I agree with everyone above. You likely need to be eating at least twice this amount. Here is what I would suggest:
    - Try a few eggs in the morning
    - Increase your protein intake to 150g with each meal and no need to limit yourself to lean meat. Try to eat some animal fats. It doesn't have to be much but even skinless chicken legs or a bit of fat on a pork chop can help.
    - Cooked veggies to help you digest

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Make a huge pot of hearty bone broth, and drink that throughout the day, whenever you feel like.

Don't worry about people telling you that you are not eating enough. Let your body adjust to the diet and your digestion to heal. Eat clean foods, but whatever feels appealing, otherwise you will run yourself into the ground. If you are looking longingly at coffee shops, try baking a banana or a sweet potato with cinnamon. I would take salmon and meats over the nuts and sprouts while your stomach is adjusting as it is easier on your system. You might try easier to digest vegetables, like zuccini or tomatoes. And, if you can tolerate dairy, and a bit of greek yougurt in the evening.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast