Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puffing up not losing weight page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I don't have any comment on the amount of food you list because I have to eat very low calorie myself just to maintain my weight, something the men on this site often fail to understand about females.

However, if the bloating you're experiencing correlates to the increase in salads (raw veggies), I'd experiment by eliminating all raw vegetables for a while to see if that's the problem. I've known people who cannot tolerate a large portion of their diet raw.
    Something the men on the site may fail to understand about some females. Others of us do much better without severe calorie restriction. Saying that all women need to be very restrictive about calories is just as silly as the men who think it doesn't matter at all. I think some women do restrict too severely and run into problems losing because of it. That's not to say one shouldn't be conscious about calories or that restriction doesn't work for some, but I wouldn't dismiss concerns over intake based solely on gender.

However, I also agree that if salads have caused this issue in the past, they are a likely culprit now, and experimenting with eating cooked vegetables instead is a good place to start troubleshooting. If salads are easy, I suggest going with vegetables that you can pre-cook and heat or that can be cooked fairly quickly (greens, for example, are very quick to prepare and cook) so that you keep the fuss to a minimum.

Additionally, raw nuts are not ideal for everyone. Is there another option you feel you could turn to for snacks?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu can last several weeks for some people. Also, I have noticed that when I eat a lot of salads or a lot of veggies, I tend to be very bloated as well. I think for some the veggies can be hard on our system and more difficult to digest. I personally have cut veggies way down, basically I have two servings a day now, usually spinach or kale and my stomach is much happier. My tummy is actually pretty flat now, and I don't have any gas or bloating anymore, and my bowel movements have improved a lot (meaning, they are no longer loose every day).

I think I was just eating too many veggies before. But it's a really individual thing. Some folks do fine eating a ton of veggies, and some don't.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    until you can eat at least you BMR per day, you will be telling your body, "There isn't enough food, stay fat so we don't die."
    This is very true. And Owly is right, too. Not all women need to eat 1100 calories a day to maintain our weight. There seems to be a sweet spot for me above which I have all the energy needed to be very active, very happy and cheerful, smile and be friendly to people. When I go below this level (and honestly I don't even know what calorie count it really is, but it's way more than 1100 that's for sure), I get sluggish, dark, sleepy and spend more time just sitting under a down blanket.

Try eating more fats from animals and from avocados. You may find that adding fat in makes you spontaneously consume fewer calories (because you snack less) and it might help your inflammation and your digestion, too. And I agree with the cooked vegetables. Lightly steamed may be enough to make them easier to digest.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

SAGrokette is offline Junior Member
    :0) Thank for the reply. Its amazing to hear from those with experience .

:0)) That makes so much sense Knifegill. Thanks. I am working on increasing my intake. I have never been a foodie, I dont look forward to mealtimes. I eat to live, but clearly not enough to thrive!

Aaaaah thank you everyone. Yes, the raw food maybe too often too much. Its just so easy! LOL!

I had a blood test done for sensitivities a while back. Eggs and all diary came up the worst foods for me. I tried some cream cheese and the next day I had a migraine from hell. I also tried organic gouda, and that made for a awesome snack but I felt nauseated.

So I will be trying peppers and cucumbers (peeled) for a salad option. Baby spinach lightly steamed. Broccoli , cauliflower and carrots steamed. I have been eating some avocado with each meal. I love butternut but want to keep my carbs around 50 g.

I Love the idea of bone broth!

Salmon and mackerel are proving to be too rich for my stomach if eaten too frequently. So I am going with ostrich as its guaranteed antibiotic free and free range, I choose the lean mince because its free range. I have found free range steaks and free range lamb, but they are costly, so will need to be for treats. I would like to eat more, but my budget is tight. I cant squeeze any more into my food budget so I am doing the best i can with what I have. Its all good.

I think the nuts and salads may be the issue for me, so I will cut back on them next week, and choose different foods for next week and then see.

:0) I dont feel so exhausted this week. It could have been PMS last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12