Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Are we really genetically similar to the paleo men and women? page 9

karatepig is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    god.jpgTouched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg
    Disclaimer: If this offends you, I really don't give a shit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post

I think I understand what you are trying to say J. Stanton, but do you really seriously think that a paelolittic artist that made such a naturalistic statue of an obese woman never had seen an overfat person before? He must have had a pretty good fantacy to make it so realistic then:

venus-willendorf.jpg

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I think I understand what you are trying to say J. Stanton, but do you really seriously think that a paelolittic artist that made such a naturalistic statue of an obese woman never had seen an overfat person before? He must have had a pretty good fantacy to make it so realistic then:

venus-willendorf.jpg
    Hoo. Boy! I should never have even mentioned it. This same mulberry bush has been circled way too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hoo. Boy! I should never have even mentioned it. This same mulberry bush has been circled way too many times.
    What's your opinion on this important issue then, do you belong to those that believes that nobody had seen a fat person before people started grinding grains?

canio6 Guest
    What's your opinion on this important issue then, do you belong to those that believes that nobody had seen a fat person before people started grinding grains?
    I belong to the group of people that think that sometimes symbols use extremes. I mean, perhaps there were a ton of men walking around with 2 foot penises or perhaps they were just statues of fertility gods. Perhaps they were smart enough to figure out that a pregnant woman would gain weight and some extra body fat was helpful and made their fertility goddess and extreme of this. Perhaps I should stop posting and go and eat 5 pounds of potatoes or 3 dozen eggs. Ah, the world is full of possibilities.

Paleobird Guest
    First of all, don't put words in my mouth. I never said that nobody was ever fat before the advent of the millstone. Secondly, the representations are of PREGNANT women, not FAT women. It's not about being fat, it's about being fertile. There are fertility goddess worship examples from all over the world. A woman about ready to give birth is the ultimate symbol of fertility which then also becomes a deity/object of worship in order to "pray" for the fertility of the earth i.e. good weather, good gathering, good hunting.

Anthropology 101. Yes, some of it is speculation but a lot is based on the study of the world's remaining hunter/gatherer societies as well. Looking at those statuettes now and saying "Look at the fat lady", is just us looking at it through our cultural biases.

First of all, don't put words in my mouth. I never said that nobody was ever fat before the advent of the millstone.
    And I never said so either, I asked about your opinion only.

Secondly, the representations are of PREGNANT women, not FAT women.
    Maybe fat AND pregnant then? I have seen some pregnant woman in my life, but nobody that fat though...

I
    It's not about being fat, it's about being fertile. There are fertility goddess worship examples from all over the world. A woman about ready to give birth is the ultimate symbol of fertility which then also becomes a deity/object of worship in order to "pray" for the fertility of the earth i.e. good weather, good gathering, good hunting.
    Well, I do not disagree that this is meant to be a fertility godess, thats the most probable explanation anyhow. But my point is only that the the artist that made it must have seen some fat people to make the statue so realistic. Some people on this thread seem to imply that paelolittic man was never fat, which I find very unlikely...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 11-26-2012 at 08:15 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I trekked in Nepal several years ago and I remember seeing a hugely obese woman in one of the villages. Note that in that part of the world there are no paved roads and the only transportation for goods and services is on the backs of humans or animals. They lived in stone houses or in houses woven of reeds. People mostly ate lentils, rice, greens, carrots, potatoes and yak.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleobird Guest
    And I never said so either, I asked about your opinion only.
    Maybe fat AND pregnant then? I have seen some pregnant woman in my life, but nobody that fat though...

Well, I do not disagree that this is meant to be a fertility godess, thats the most probable explanation anyhow. But my point is only that the the artist that made it must have seen some fat people to make the statue so realistic. Some people on this thread seem to imply that paelolittic man was never fat, which I find very unlikely...
    It's *symbolic* artwork, not literal. smh.

There probably were occasional individuals such as royalty or shaman who did not need to hunt and gather for a living who might have been larger than average. (The paleolithic counterparts to politicians and televangelists.) Everyone else though would have been in shape I think. If you couldn't run down a mammoth or outrun a saber toothed tiger, you didn't live to reproduce.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I belong to the group of people that think that sometimes symbols use extremes. I mean, perhaps there were a ton of men walking around with 2 foot penises or perhaps they were just statues of fertility gods. Perhaps they were smart enough to figure out that a pregnant woman would gain weight and some extra body fat was helpful and made their fertility goddess and extreme of this. Perhaps I should stop posting and go and eat 5 pounds of potatoes or 3 dozen eggs. Ah, the world is full of possibilities.
    hahaha - made me laugh
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast