Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Are we really genetically similar to the paleo men and women? page 8

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    Please do quote it! I may even write an article at some point, since it seems to be such a persistent myth. There's a huge pressure on scientists to make BIG DISCOVERIES...so archaeological findings are frequently, um, exaggerated.

I'm glad you find my articles valuable!

Note that you'll have to buy an actual book if you want to read The Gnoll Credo. Despite what some pirate/torrent websites claim, they don't have the full book available for download - just the teaser you've already read.
    No, no, JS. I wasn't talking about pirating it. I meant a Kindle download. Is it available on Kindle or only as a physical book?

And we really could use your input around here. Another persistent bit of archaeological mis-information is about the so called "Venus" statuettes somehow proving that lots of women were obese back then. Hello? They were fertility symbols, not literal representations.

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefox View Post

Anyways, The Scientist you're a PhD in Cell Bio, and you work in a lab? Do tell (aspiring researcher/medical student here, though I'm an undergraduate. My sister is applying for PhD programs in cell bio or biophysics right now, in fact, so any insights into the Life of Sci would be cool).
    I started a new thread in the research section responding to this.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, no, JS. I wasn't talking about pirating it. I meant a Kindle download. Is it available on Kindle or only as a physical book?

And we really could use your input around here. Another persistent bit of archaeological mis-information is about the so called "Venus" statuettes somehow proving that lots of women were obese back then. Hello? They were fertility symbols, not literal representations.

...and thinking of the Venus of Willendorf as a fertility symbol is also speculation. Educated speculation, but still a guess.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    ...and thinking of the Venus of Willendorf as a fertility symbol is also speculation. Educated speculation, but still a guess.
    In his book, The Fat Switch, Dr Richard Johnson MD, University of Colorado, talks about speculations that the headdress on these figurines represents a beehive. Their lab thinks fructose triggers the body to put on fat for lean months (through increasing intracellular uric acid). Honey being high in fructose would have added fat gains. The speculation in the book was that maybe some of the girls were feed honey for putting on weight to get through lean periods and famine. That weight would aid in childbearing during such times. I don't know anyone could prove without a written record.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    What I find reasonable is that the artists that made realistic figures like that, must have seen some obese persons to model their art...

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What I find reasonable is that the artists that made realistic figures like that, must have seen some obese persons to model their art...
    Of course that's reasonable, but it's not reasonable (not that you did - I haven't read all of your posts!) to assume that there were a lot of obese people. Perhaps a couple of elites? Or a priestess/medicine woman of some kind? The point is that we don't really know.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

otzi Guest
    Of course that's reasonable, but it's not reasonable (not that you did - I haven't read all of your posts!) to assume that there were a lot of obese people. Perhaps a couple of elites? Or a priestess/medicine woman of some kind? The point is that we don't really know.
    Maybe those statues are educational aids for obesity. Some day they will find our displays of fat and think we worshipped lumps of fat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If not a fertility godess, maybe it was just a profane female sexsymbol? Grok's personal pin-up that he carried with him when going hunting...

otzi Guest
    If not a fertility godess, maybe it was just a profane female sexsymbol? Grok's personal pin-up that he carried with him when going hunting...
    So...chub chasing is primal?

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast