Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really genetically similar to the paleo men and women? page 5

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    This is easy – no records needed. Look at estimates of historical world population. The number of humans on our planet stagnated for hundreds of thousands of years. Ask any evolutionary biologist what happens to a population that has a food surplus and no major predators to keep population in check. As soon as agriculture and domesticated animals come around, population booms due to the food surplus – even with the increase in infectious disease that came along with it.
    This does not mean that some populations of paleolithic people didn't overeat.

This is just silly. We have detailed first-hand accounts of observations of hunter-gathere peoples that survived with their traditional lifestyles intact into the last several centuries. These populations range from the inuit in northern North America, to previously uncontacted South American tribes, to aboriginal Australians. They all moved and exerted themselves much more than we did. Hell, people in western countries were far more active than us just a few centuries ago before cars and mechanized farm equipments were available. So whether we are talking about paleolithic people or early neolithic people, or even late neolithic people up to the 19th century, there is an abundance of evidence that they were far more active than we are. Nobody needs archaeology to prove this.
    Who is us?

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post

Who is us?
    Just trolling for some fun today?

The Scientist is offline Member
    It means they didn't overeat consistently over extended periods of time and over multiple generations. This is the only scenario that natural selection can act on. If the point you are trying to prove is that a few people may have over-eaten at some point, that is probably true, but why is it significant at all?

Who is us?
    People in modern industrialized communities falling within one or two standard deviations of the mean for the amount of physical activity they engage in.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Just trolling for some fun today?
    He needs something to do on the holiday weekend.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    It means they didn't overeat consistently over extended periods of time and over multiple generations. This is the only scenario that natural selection can act on. If the point you are trying to prove is that a few people may have over-eaten at some point, that is probably true, but why is it significant at all?
    Maybe it's not significant, I don't know, I was just saying that it could be a possibility.

People in modern industrialized communities falling within one or two standard deviations of the mean for the amount of physical activity they engage in.
    Thanks for clarifying. I am not trying to be argumentative but I have noticed that people are voicing themselves as if they were the majority and most of the time from a western-centric perspective without giving any credence to the global community at large.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    I am not trying to be argumentative but I have noticed that people are voicing themselves as if they were the majority and most of the time from a western-centric perspective without giving any credence to the global community at large.
    Sheeeesh!

The Scientist is offline Member
    Maybe it's not significant, I don't know, I was just saying that it could be a possibility.

Thanks for clarifying. I am not trying to be argumentative but I have noticed that people are voicing themselves as if they were the majority and most of the time from a western-centric perspective without giving any credence to the global community at large.
    Your are probably right. In the future, I'll try to be more aware of all the non-westerners that come to visit this English-only forum dedicated to finding ways not to be fat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Personally I am writing from Ecuador, South-America, so I must belong to the perspective of "global community at large" then, and not "a western-centric perspective"???

Paleobird Guest
    Dear The Scientist,

I adore you and your well educated, informed, scientifically accurate, and articulately written posts.

A hearty Primal welcome to you. Please stick around. This forum could always use more folks like you.

Robin

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Dear The Scientist,

I adore you and your well educated, informed, scientifically accurate, and articulately written posts.

A hearty Primal welcome to you. Please stick around. This forum could always use more folks like you.

Robin
    Couldn't have said it better myself. His last post totally won me over, 110%

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast