Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need quick, no cook/heat, meal/snack ideas page

carrieann0413 is offline Junior Member

Question need quick, no cook/heat, meal/snack ideas

I am doing good with planning my main meals but if I end up needing a snack in the afternoon I am lost. I don't always have time to prep and or cook/heat something at this time. I need something I can just grab and eat. I am trying to lose weight so I am not eating a lot of fruit right now, especially dried fruit which both would be great snacks. My only idea right now is to pre package some small salads to have ready to go but I'd like some variety and not a salad every afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas for quick snacks I could have on hand for when afternoon hunger strikes?

Thanks,
    Carrie

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Carrie

One option would be to increase the size of your lunch, especially more fat and protein.

Nuts are a good snack option. I'm not finding a definitive primal list of good and bad nuts, but you can probably find one if you look around.

After being on primal a while longer, you may not need a snack. I probably don't need one, but I do snack, usually on nuts.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

waterjen is offline Member
    Snacking... I like to have easy snacks on hand that can double for meal components. They may take a bit of up-front time, like making brekkie or dinner, but a five or ten-minute investment on Sunday is still providing snacks on Thursday. For me, this is important, as my week gets progressively nuttier. I try to keep my snacks protein- and fat-based so they have staying power.
    If you take dairy, cottage cheese is an easy one. For me, cottage cheese may be a quick brekkie on a harried morning before work. Or it may be a mid-day snack on a Saturday as I handle chores around the house.
    My mom used to make these little meat roll-ups that were basically ham slices with a filling of chive cream cheese. I make those maybe once a month -- varying the meat as desired (say you have left over thinly sliced roast beef or turkey you'd like to use instead of deli ham), and sometimes mixing my own flavors into the cream cheese for variety. If I know they don't need to last in the fridge for days, I even sometimes add things like jalapeno slices or pimentos or pickles my sister makes and cans and passes out at the holidays. It's like a little sandwich without the bread and can be customized to your heart's desire. Again, it takes not 5 minutes to slather a few slices of meat with a thin coating of cream cheese and roll it up, and stick all those meaty little roll-ups into the fridge. They are usually still good a week later (if you don't add fresh veggies to them, that is). If they last that long. They never do in my house, which is why I don't make them toooooo often.
    Egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, roast beef salad, and so forth are all goodies. Not just good ways to use up leftovers, but also something that can be prepared ahead of time and enjoyed cold. I usually try to have something like this in my fridge at all times. I polished off the egg salad today at lunch so will have to make some sort of turkey salad on Friday as I recover from the holiday festivities. Add an avocado half to your protein salad and you've got a snack with quite a bit of staying power.
    Speaking of avo, guacamole is another great snack. It can be as simple as mashing an avo with some salsa or much more complex (down to mincing fresh cilantro leaves). Eat it with a fork, not a chip. Yum.
    If you don't mind cold bits of meat, simple slices can be a satisfying snack. Or even cold leftover meatballs.
    I also keep small bags of nuts around. Actually, I prepare 5 or 6 bags, and keep all but one of them in the freezer. The one goes in my purse so it's available when I'm in a true state of need. (Putting nuts into a single-serving bag keeps me from mindlessly snacking on high-cal nuts.) The bag of nuts may include 5-8 almonds, a Brazil nut or two, a couple of macs. Whatever nuts I have on hand. Sometimes when I divvy out the nuts into bags I add a very few bits of dried fruit. Sometimes I add coco flakes. Sometimes I add cacao nibs. Custom trail mix is yummy. I find this a great emergency snack, and it often gets pulled out on long car trips, but not so often on office days.
    One guy in my office eats a tinned bit of fish every day for his mid-day snack. Tuna, Sardines, whatever. He opens the can, drains, and eats. Stinks the office up a bit, but the boy is buff.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by waterjen; 11-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem awhile back, and always ended up with yogurt, nuts, milk. Nuts are addictive for me so I'm trying to avoid them.

Anyway, I recently made beef jerky and pemmican for the first time, stored them in glass jars, and found this to be a great snack. Very satiating, and definitely better than a few handfuls of nuts (I can never stop at one...). Pemmican is much more effective at quelling hunger than jerky for me.

Also, making both jerky and pemmican was SO much easier than I expected. I used 2kg of beef and ended up around 250g jerky and 500g pemmican. I think it may last me a month?

Yes, ideally don't snack, but from my experience, it's not so easy to just quit snacking. Having good snacks around helps the transition. Since eliminating most grains and upping fat in my meals, the urge to snack is gone. Yet, sometimes for breakfast when I don't want to make something, there's always jerky or pemmican.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieann0413 View Post
    I am doing good with planning my main meals but if I end up needing a snack in the afternoon I am lost. I don't always have time to prep and or cook/heat something at this time. I need something I can just grab and eat. I am trying to lose weight so I am not eating a lot of fruit right now, especially dried fruit which both would be great snacks. My only idea right now is to pre package some small salads to have ready to go but I'd like some variety and not a salad every afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas for quick snacks I could have on hand for when afternoon hunger strikes?

Thanks,
    Carrie
    Why do you NEED a snack exactly? Hunger??

If you're always hungry in the PM, eat a big bigger lunch, with more fat.

Otherwise, if you're just occasionally hungry...BE hungry until your next planned meal. It won't kill you. Hunger isn't something you need to fear, avoid or cure. And you might find that those first twinges of hunger go away after 10 or 15 minutes.

If you've cut out grains, sugar and refined carbs, you're going to notice that primal hunger is different than sleepy, crabby, jittery low-blood-sugar hunger. Its really quite manageable.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I am also dependent on convenient snacks in the afternoon. The best solution I have found is sardines. I never ate them before switching to Primal eating. They are inexpensive, quick and convenient and give me TONS and TONS of energy. Plus, they are not the kind of thing that I am likely to eat too much of. I have received a few complaints about my breath afterward, but the cats don't seem to mind.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Beef Jerky, tins of Fish, nuts.

Or, learn what hunger is and how it won't kill you to wait a couple of hours running off your body fat for fuel.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JenniRose is offline Junior Member
    I discovered that almonds are a great snack and very healthy. Usually I keep a bunch of them in my bag. A nice add-on are carrots.

campagman is offline Junior Member
    Just make friends with Mr Hungry.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nuts are convenient but so hard to stop at just a small serving size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast