Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Turkey Day Kitchen Emergencies

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    121

    Turkey Day Kitchen Emergencies

    With one of the big American feast days looming ahead of us, I'm sure some of us will have urgent food-related advice.

    It would be greatly appreciated if some of the Paleo/Primal gourmets (yes, I'm looking at you Dr. Bork Bork and ChocoTaco (as well as others, of course )) on this forum would be willing to donate some time and their culinary genius to the cause.


    I'll ask my question first. Would this flavor combination work: butternut squash, carrot, apple, coconut milk, onion, bacon, garam masala? This is for a puree-style soup.

    Thank you!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

    "Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

    "Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Aw... thanks for thinking of me.
    Your soup sounds awesome (though I'm not sure about the garam masala, as I don't think I've ever tasted that before).

    Happy to help out today. Hubby always takes care of the turkey, so my hands may be a bit more free than others
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    684
    I think that soup would most certainly work except i'd leave out the onion and swap in red bell pepper and like dr bork said leave out the gram marsala and instead go with a bit a cinnamon/ginger/cayenne pepper.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,360
    I think your original combo sounds tasty. I love garum masala and think it would work well with the other ingredients just add a little at a time and taste as your go. How were you planning on incorporating the bacon?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by KotikBegemotik View Post
    I'll ask my question first. Would this flavor combination work: butternut squash, carrot, apple, coconut milk, onion, bacon, garam masala? This is for a puree-style soup.
    *NOM* I'm actually not sure about the bacon... and the way I love bacon, that's saying something! I agree with others that you might need some additional liquid for the right texture... yum!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    I'm not sure about the garam masala, as I don't think I've ever tasted that before
    really? a culinary genius such as yourself has not heard of the wondrous garam masala!? It's an Indian spice... kind of exotic and delicious... I LOVE it on roasted veggies... maybe with some sea salt and a spicy pepper tossed in. mmmmm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I think your original combo sounds tasty. I love garum masala and think it would work well with the other ingredients just add a little at a time and taste as your go. How were you planning on incorporating the bacon?
    ^ This!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    really? a culinary genius such as yourself has not heard of the wondrous garam masala!?
    Oh I'm aware of it, I've just never used it before. We don't do a whole lot of Indian cooking in our house. And, I know, shame on me after all the bragging I do about how proud I am to have such a well stocked spice cabinet!

    fwiw, bacon, apples, squash, and onion is pretty much a bomb-proof combination. GET SOME PIGGY IN THAT SOUP!
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Oh I'm aware of it, I've just never used it before. We don't do a whole lot of Indian cooking in our house. And, I know, shame on me after all the bragging I do about how proud I am to have such a well stocked spice cabinet!

    fwiw, bacon, apples, squash, and onion is pretty much a bomb-proof combination. GET SOME PIGGY IN THAT SOUP!
    take my word for it - it's amazeballs... I was ALL about garam masala brussels sprouts recently (and I will admit to seasoning decidedly unprimal stove-popped popcorn with it previously)...
    I'm guessing you have the ingredients for it - cumin pepper cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and mace (says my bottle of garam masala, anyway)
    and... bacon apples squash onion... *NOM* I think it's the garam masala that threw off the bacon for me. hmmm...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    I love the taste of garam masala with squash, and carrot, apple and onion also sound like good additions. I'd start by cooking the bacon and then adding the chopped onion, cooking until clear, and then building the rest of the soup from there. Are you adding some stock--I think you will need some, chicken stock probably so it doesn't overpower the other flavours. I think it sounds tasty.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Are you adding some stock--I think you will need some, chicken stock probably so it doesn't overpower the other flavours.
    I was picturing a super thick soup and was going to suggest adding some heavy cream to the mix after pureeing the other stuff down
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    I think that was the intent of the coconut milk? But I think one might need a little stock in there. I've done thick puree soups with coconut milk before, and I've found a bit of stock is necessary or it can get a little more like pudding than soup. Not that a savoury veg pudding would be all bad.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •