Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Beef Cake) page

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Beef Cake)

I have been tracking my progress in Daily Burn, but thought I would share it here as part of my primal journey to a healthier lifestyle.

I will start with Mark's recommended format:

1. "Dailies". Simply list the Primal meals you've eaten throughout the day to track your own progress and to share your choices with other Grokkers.

B: IF - 20 hours (last nights dinner was Prime Rib, mushrooms sauteed in butter, green beans, horse raddish and red wine.)

S: Green Tea and 1 tsp. honey; 20 ounces water

S: handful of walnuts to end IF at 4 p.m. (20 hour IF)

D: Prime Rib French Dips. Yes, I used bread (non-primal), but also included 8 ounces of prime rib, provolone cheese and horseraddish.

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done in an Intermittent Fasting ("IF") state.
    Cardio Exercise Time Distance Mets Incline Heart Rate Calories
    Recumbent Bike 00:30:00 8.1 - 7.0 120.0 405

Weight Exercise / Sets / Total Weight Lifted /Calories
    Dumbbell Biceps Curls / (12x10lbs, 10x15lbs, 10x25lbs, 10x20lbs) / 720lbs / 29
    Dumbbell Triceps Kickbacks /(12x10lbs, 12x15lbs, 10x25lbs, 10x20lbs) / 750lbs / 30
    Dumbbell Side Raises / (12x10lbs, 10x15lbs, 10x15lbs, 10x10lbs) / 520lbs / 29
    Dumbbell Flyes / (10x20lbs, 12x25lbs) / 500lbs / 15
    Dumbbell Chest Press / (12x25lbs, 10x30lbs, 8x40lbs, 10x40lbs) / 1320lbs / 27
    Reverse Crunch / (15x0lb, 12x0lb) / 0lbs / 18
    Swiss Ball Ab Crunch / (15x0lb, 12x0lb) / 0lbs / 18
    Weight Training Totals 3810lbs / 166 Calories

3. Any other musings regarding your challenge, your choices and achieving your goals.

My energy level was surprisingly good for being in an IF state upon waking and exercising. My strength increased from last week and I lifted 810 lbs more this workout than in the previous workout.

My cardio was done as part of my "rest" between sets. I peddled at 75 rpm, 120 bpm (heart rate) for 60 seconds and then move onto the next set of weight exercises. The total workout took 46 minutes and I felt energized afterward. My muscles were tweaked, but not exhausted.
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-14-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added IF time (20 hours)

1. "Dailies". Simply list the Primal meals you've eaten throughout the day to track your own progress and to share your choices with other Grokkers.

B: Smoothie (True Whey protein, frozen strawberries, flax seed, 1 cup Kefir, ice)
    2 slices of bacon

S: 20 ounces water

L: 3 Pastured boneless chicken thighs (with skin); 1 pastured skinless boneless chicken breast; 1/4 cup cooked organic brown rice; Diet Dr. Pepper

D: Ribeye Steak (approx. 10 oz. - cut from left over Prime Rib), Cauliflower mashed with butter, sour cream and heavy cream.

S: Jack and Diet Coke; 1 glass of red wine

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:45 a.m.

Recumbent Bike 5 minutes to warm and wake up.

Weight Exercise / Sets /
    Dumbbell Sraight-Leg Dead lifts / (12x25lbs, 8x30lbs)
    Dumbbell Step Lunges /(12x10lbs, 12x15lbs, 10x25lbs, 10x20lbs)
    Dumbbell Squats with military press / (10x30lbs, 6x25lbs)

Weight Training Totals 1890 lbs.

3. Any other musings regarding your challenge, your choices and achieving your goals.

4. Sleep - 8 hours.
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.

B: Latte (3 shots espresso, sugar free hazlenut, steamed milk); 2 slices of bacon

S: Free Starbucks coffee (for Tax Day promotion) with cream.

L: Ribeye Steak (approx. 12 oz. - cut from left over Prime Rib), Cauliflower mashed with butter, sour cream and heavy cream; Diet Dr. Pepper

D: Intermittent Fasting (IF) - I was not hungry for dinner...so I did not eat.

S: Jack and Coke (2)

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:45 a.m.
    Recumbent Bike 30 minutes at 75 rpms, 118 heart rate, 8.5 miles at a No. 7 resistance level.

Got a double-take, smile and compliment from a very HOT female while standing in line at Starbucks.

4. Sleep - 7.5 hours at night; 30 minute nap today
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-16-2010 at 08:43 AM.

B: Latte (4 shots espresso, sugar free hazlenut, steamed milk); 2 slices of bacon
    smoothie (2 scoops True Whey - from Grass Fed cows, frozen Strawberries and Blueberries, ground flax, milk, ice, honey)

L: Prime Rib, Black Grapes and Greek Yogurt

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:45 a.m. and ended at 6:15 a.m. I did did recumbent bike during my 60 second rest between sets.

Cardio Exercise
    Recumbent Bike 12:00 minutes; 115 (heart rate); 75 rpms

Weight Exercise / Sets / Total Weight Lifted
    Dumbbell Biceps Curls (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x25lbs, 8x15lbs) 700lbs
    Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x25lbs, 8x15lbs) 700lbs
    Reverse Dumbbell Flyes (12x10lbs, 10x15lbs, 8x20lbs, 8x20lbs) 590lbs
    Dumbbell Pullovers (10x40lbs, 10x35lbs) 750lbs
    One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (10x25lbs, 10x30lbs) 550lbs
    One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x25lbs, 10x30lbs) 880lbs
    Weight Training Totals 4170lbs

Very energized this morning. My workout was intense and sweat was pouring off me like crazy. I finished a hot shower with a COLD all over rinse and really feel great right now.

My weight is now at 185 and my waist is trimming up very nicely. I put on some fresh jeans from the dryer...and they were not tight at all. The size on the jeans says 32 inch waist x 32 length. The v-shape in my back (from lats) is also re-appearing and my "tone" is improving. I am on the cusp of looking good naked.

4. Sleep - 7.5 hours at night
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-16-2010 at 01:49 PM.

After reading the "On-Men-and-Leanness post, I am feeling a bit anxious. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...nd-Leanness...
    My initial reaction is to hit the "gym" and reduce my calories like crazy to strip bodyfat. Taking a deep breath now and refocusing on becoming primal instead of going back into my old ways of working out and exercising.

I also realized when I started this Journal, I did not really tell much about me, where I came from and where I am going. What drew me to MDA was looking in the mirror and realizing I had let myself go over the last 3 years. My avatar shows me in 2005/2006 when I was in pretty good shape at between 6- 8% bodyfat. I worked out with weights 3 days a week and did cardio the other 2 days. I ate 5-6 meals consisting of lean protein, vegetables and complex carbs. I typically aimed for 3,100 to 3,400 calories in a day to build muscle. I always felt like I was eating all the time and it was driving me nuts.

I pretty much stopped working out in 2007 when I took my current position and I instead opted to work 60 to 80 hours a week in a sedentary environment while snacking on "snack food." In 2008, I had gained 20 pounds and topped the scales at 200 lbs, but I looked like crap and felt even worse. In late 2008, my son was diagnosed with cancer and over the next year, my life felt like it was not mine. As my son got better, I took a long look in the mirror and decided me being out of shape and eating poorly would not solve any problems and if my son was to live, a healthier lifestyle was needed for all of us.

I played with diet and working out, but I was not serious until my sister had a heart attack at age 41 in January of this year. I immediately went to get my full lipid profile and paid quite a bit of money to get a full body scan indicating where any blockages may be in my own body. Luckily, my overall cholesterol was 133, and the HDL/LDL and triglicerides were all in the "normal range" The doctor did comment that he would like to see me get back down to at least a real 32 inch waist and to drop my bodyfat under 10% to counteract a family history of Coronary Artery Disease.

After looking at different options on the web and getting my old workout and eating logs out, I came across MDA. After much reading and purchasing the book, this made sense to me. I compared it to my success in the past with a low fat diet and 6 day workout schedule and I thought this could work for me. I need to learn to play more. I have dealt with my stress a little and really try to limit my workweek to no more than 50 hours, although with trials coming up it may jump back up to 80 or 90 per week. I have cleaned up my eating considerably going grass-fed and pastured as much as I can find and buying local and organic veggies and fruits. My exercise still resembles my old routines, but I am incorporating more pushups and pullups and utilizing functional weight training. Instead of just doing squats, I do squats with dumbbells or a barbell, but add in an overhead press at the top of the squat.

I feel almost desperate to get back to something similar to my 2005/2006 body...or better. I really miss having six (almost eight) pack abs because of the functional strength it gave me to participate in almost any sport with some degree of proficiency or at least enjoyability. I also miss being strong. It always surprises people how strong I am compare to how I look. Pushing 1,000 to 2,000 pound cows and horses around was nothing for me. I want to get back to that person. I want to get back to riding my mountain bike on the dirt/mud trails. I want to play with my boys (6 and 4) and not get winded or tired if they want to keep playing. Mostly, I want to be a good role model for them as to what a true man is and how he lives his life through strength. The world does not have enough "men" anymore and I want my boys to have a good example.

Anyway, that is a generalized idea of where I am coming from and where I am heading. I want to do better, I know I can do better and I am doing better.

28 days in...

Trying to post pics and will update when I figure it out.
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-20-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Still trying to post updated pics. You will see how soft I am now compared to my avatar picture. It is amazing how fast it goes away and how body composition changes with a sedentary lifestyle and a bad diet. A spur that disgusted me was a picture that was made with Mike and Mike from ESPN for a promotion concerning childhood cancer awareness. I didn't realize how bad I let myself go until one of my colleagues asked how much weight I had gained during 2008.

The torso pictures are from this morning and show my progress 28 days in on an ~80% primal lifestyle. I am looking very soft, hairy and untanned. I am embarrassed to take my shirt off outside to get some sun right now, especially since I think I still look like my avatar in my minds eye. When I catch a glimpse in a reflection of a mirror or other surface, it just makes me sad to see how bad I let it get. It is telling to see how spending 60-80 hours a week at my office has trashed my body.

Granted, I am already seeing results by going primal and this feels better than a low fat, high protein diet. It also feels more sustainable as a lifestyle rather than obsessing over eating 5-6 meals equally spaced and making sure I get the correct macro and micro nutrients in each meal. The maintenance phase on the Primal Blueprint seems to be more manageable as a lifestyle than CW for building and maintaining a ripped physique.

Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.

B: Smoothie (True Whey protein, organic frozen strawberries and blueberries, flax seed, 1 cup Kefir, ice)
    1 slice of bacon (my son ate the rest before I could get some more)
    1/4 avocado with black olives mixed in

L: Taco Salad (red and green butter lettuce, grass-fed ground beef with taco seasoning, 1/2 avocado, Rotel, black olives, sour cream)
    Diet Dr. Pepper

S: Nestle Fudge Bar (I know...not primal...but I factor this in as part of the 20% rule) - My office was passing them out as an afternoon "treat." It contained 21g of carbs with 15g coming from sugar.

D: 8 slices of bacon (not planned, just turned out that way) and 2 glasses of Cabernet. Bacon and wine actually taste really good together. They compliment each other very nicely. The bacon tasted meatier and the wine had more depth.

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:35 a.m.

Recumbent Bike 5 minutes to warm and wake up.

Weight Exercise / Sets /
    Dumbbell Sraight-Leg Dead lifts / (12x25lbs, 10x30lbs, 8x35)
    Dumbbell Step Lunges /(12x20lbs, 10x25lbs, 10x30lbs, 10x25lbs, 8x30lbs, 8x30lbs, 8x30lbs)
    Dumbbell Squats with military press / (10x30lbs, 10x35lbs)

Weight Training Totals 2920 lbs. (1,000lbs. more than last Wednesday)

I'm feeling very positive today with lots of energy and focus. I keep marveling at how satisfied I feel. I played basketball with my son (6 yr. old) last night and had a great time "playing."

4. Sleep - 8 hours. 30 minute nap (after eating the Nestle Fudge Bar).
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-22-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Updated dinner

B: Smoothie (True Whey protein, organic frozen strawberries, flax seed, 1 cup Kefir)
    (I thought about bacon, but after 8 slices for dinner last night, I was concerned that might be too much sodium)

L: Chicken (skinless and boneless breasts) in butter and garlic (part of an office lunch); salad with Italian dressing.
    Diet Dr. Pepper

S: Pastured Chicken breast with skin; black grapes

D: Pastured Chicken with skin; store bought mushrooms and organic red bell pepper sauteed in butter. One glass of Cabernet.

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:35 a.m.

Recumbent Bike 30 minutes at 76 rpms, 116 heart rate, level 7

I woke up not motivated to lift anything heavy...so I rode my recumbent bike for 30 minutes. I plan to play or take a long walk this evening with my boys (6 & 4). I have been feeling very horny for the last two weeks and it is driving me nuts. I have fleeting mini-fantasies pretty much all day and night. It seems to be related to my body changing and feeling better. Interestingly, I have been getting quite a bit of attention from random females...and even a couple of males (which is odd since I am not gay)...so I'm not sure if I am sending out sexual energy, emitting pheromones or what.

4. Sleep - 7 hours. 20 minute nap
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-23-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: updated dinner

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

B: Latte (4 shots espresso, sugar free hazlenut, steamed milk)
    4 slices of bacon
    smoothie (2 scoops True Whey - from Grass Fed cows, frozen Strawberries and Blueberries, ground flax, milk)

L: Pizza (office party - had to partake...OK, I was weak. The pizza was screaming "EAT ME." I had a salad with Italian dressing as well.

S: Black Grapes

D: IF (work induced)

2. Exercise routine
    Exercise was done upon waking at 5:40 a.m. and ended at 6:10 a.m.

Cardio Exercise
    Recumbent Bike 9:00 minutes; 106 (heart rate); 68 rpms

Weight Exercise / Sets / Total Weight Lifted
    Dumbbell Biceps Curls (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x25lbs, 8x15lbs) 700lbs
    Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x25lbs, 8x15lbs) 700lbs
    Reverse Dumbbell Flyes (12x15lbs, 10x20lbs, 10x20lbs) 580lbs
    Dumbbell Pullovers (10x40lbs, 10x35lbs) 750lbs
    One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (12x30lbs, 12x30lbs, 10x35lbs, 8x40lbs) 1390lbs
    Weight Training Totals 4120lbs

A friend complimented me last night saying “Wow, have you lost weight? You are looking like a movie star.” Granted, he is often overly dramatic and has complimented me in the past for my choice in clothing and tailoring, but this time his wife even chimed in saying that my clothes hung on me like I was a Hollywood stud. I have not seen either of them in a month or two…so maybe more changes are happening than I realize.

This morning while working out, I contemplated this journey and contrasted it to the last time I was at 8% body fat and “fit.” Many of the food items are the same. I still each chicken, fish, beef or some type of real protein (meat) as the cornerstone of each meal. Although, I do not take of the skin or worry about the fat content as long as I am eating grass-fed or pastured meat. I still eat copious amounts of veggies prepared with olive oil. I have gone to locally grown and/or organic for my veggies. I no longer include a complex carb (brown rice, sweet potato or oatmeal) with my meals. I have actually noticed a huge difference in the way I feel and I have not had heartburn once since dropping the complex carbs (although I think the heartburn may have been related to bread products.)

What is significantly different is my new found love of things like bacon and coconut oil. Bacon used to be evil incarnate in the eyes of every trainer or nutritionist I have hired in the past. I was so convinced bacon was bad that I would even pass up green beans if bacon was used to flavor them while cooking. Luckily, I do not have a trainer or nutritionist guiding my decisions and I must say that I am feeling much freer than in transitions past. I am not strictly adhering to macronutrient composition of 20% fat, 40% protein and 40% carbs like in the past. Eating has become simpler. I focus on eating real food, plain and simple. I start with a good source of protein (meat) and then decide which veggies would compliment the meat and my tastes at the moment. Preparation of meat is a no brainer…grilled is my first choice, griddle or iron skillet with butter or coconut oil is my second and broiling is my third option. Slow cooking in a dutch oven or crock-pot is also up there with grilled, especially with things like pulled pork.

When I do plug in nutrients to get an idea of where my percentages are, I am coming in around 60% fat, 30% protein and the rest in veggies. The main thing is, I don’t stress about it like I did before. I eat when I am hungry and I stop when I feel satisfied. If I am still hungry after feeling satisfied, I eat more.

My clothes are fitting and hanging very well these days (even only being on PB for 30 days). I am getting compliments from friends, co-workers and even strangers. My attitude is positive and upbeat and I don’t feel beat down like when I was following previous eating and workout plans.

Workouts are still pretty CW as you can see from above, but I do find adding play into the mix is becoming more frequent as warmer weather is here. Basketball with my boys is becoming an everyday thing. I am seriously contemplating getting a paddle board from Costco to take out to the lake. It looks like great fun.

Some people are getting angry with me as well. I am actually used to that since every time I have gotten into “great shape” people come unglued. It seems they are afraid of facing their own demons as I conquer mine. This time it may even elicit more aggressive anger after they find out what my diet is. Seriously, how do you explain to someone that by increasing my fat intake from 20% to 60%, it allowed me to shed the body fat faster than going on a low fat high protein diet. Granted, they don’t have the entire story that I also cut out most grains and focus instead on getting carbs from a variety of veggies.

I guess you could say I am a closet PB’r. At some point someone will want to know exactly what I am doing, but for now, they understand my desire to eat real food starting with grass-fed and/or pastured meats as the cornerstone and fresh locally or organically grown veggies as my vitamin and carb source. When asked about grains, breads, etc., I just tell them they don’t seem natural enough for me, so I just don’t really crave them. It will be interesting to see if someone can even come up with an argument as to why I should add processed foods into my diet. Other than convenience, there is no redeeming quality to processed food.

The one thing people do ask is how long I take to prep and cook my real food. At night, I need about 30 minutes to an hour, but I always make enough for lunch the next day. Lunch is easily re-heated in a microwave at the office. They also marvel at me making Big Ass Salads in the kitchen. More than one person has offered to pay me to make them a salad each day. I have a special bowl that I mix everything in and eat out of. I purposely picked a red bowl to highlight and accentuate the presentation of my salad. It drives people nuts, but they all look at their meal versus mine and it is as if their heart sinks as they unenthusiastically eat their cardboard lean cuisine’s or restaurant fare from in the tunnel. I on the other hand, thoroughly enjoy my meal with zest and feel energized all afternoon.

The offices solution to helping others eat like me was to buy apples and yogurt to stock in the fridge. I asked them when they would start stocking bacon, but they did not see the humor in that suggestion. They did buy some beef jerky though.

4. Sleep - 8 hours at night; 30 minute nap

5. Stress Stress levels have been through the roof since 5 p.m. Had an emergency come up at work and I am almost finished handling it. It is out of my hands now, but I am waiting for the final result, which should be about 30 more minutes. I sincerely hope it does not turn into an all night ordeal. Just sitting here waiting...
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-23-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast