Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beauty's Journal, from the beginning! page 2

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Beauty- your story could almost be mine, too! I'm also coeliac and did the vegan thing and have similar spiritual beliefs to yours.

FabMandy is offline Member
    Beauty, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease a few years ago. Within a month of that, I was also diagnosed with endometriosis - which isn't across-the-board thought of as autoimmune, but there is a faulty-immune-system component in that with a healthy immune system it is supposedly able to clean up the wayward endometrial cells. I also have some sort of vestibular/inner ear disorder, which no docs have been able to put a label on, liver issues (also no label - just funky lab results), and allergies - which I think are the "first" autoimmune disorder people experience in a lot of cases.

Thank you for sharing about Finland. It's one thing to visit, another thing to live there, I guess! Not that I have done either (one day!). So you said that a large part of the population are Lutheran, which does not encourage treating anyone as special? Sounds like it makes for a seemingly cold mindset. At the same time I love little culture quirks like that. Maybe not to be around it for long periods of time, though!

With adrenal insufficiency, I think it's good to keep protein adequate. I do think keeping a calorie deficit might be perceived as stress and just create more problems in that area, but I don't think you need 200g of protein per day either. Was your fat lower when the protein was higher? And that's when you gained weight, with the higher protein? (Sorry if I missed the explanation of this somewhere!)

The ice cream recipe sounds delicious. Let us know if you try it out
    Last edited by FabMandy; 04-18-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Hi FabMandy,

Yeah, actually I wasn't counting my protein intake at the time that I gained all that weight, but I reckon that it was too much. But with the thyroid antibody tests coming back positive, I'm guessing that Hashimoto's has more to do with the weight gain than anything. I'm also breast feeding so need a little more protein than most women, but still, how much?

So I tried the ice cream! I whipped up 250mL of double cream and added vanilla bean paste and a little ground coffee, and then I froze it. It was yummy, but it could use some zing, like maybe shredded lemon peel or orange oil. I ended up eating all of it in one go. I felt no adverse effects, but I noticed that 100mL is about 500 calories, so I just consumed over 1250 calories!!! But really, that was mostly all fat, and under 10 carbs. Also, I experienced zero stomach upset, and I felt a calm increase in energy and clarity.

It will be a light dinner tonight, probably some haddock and salad. For breakfast I had two whole eggs plus one egg yolk made into an omelette with chopped chorizo sausage (a little bit), plus a BAS. I'm about to go for an hour long walk in the hills. I'll probably do some core work and stretching when I get home.

So, I've been investigating Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) every chance I've had. I read the book by Dr. Kharrazian, and at my doctor's appointment yesterday, I gave it to my doctor! I was surprised she took it! She said she could refer me to any endo as long as they work within the National Healthcare System (or I could go private). I'm hoping to avoid all the frustrations I've read of other's by asking endos straight up what kind of procedure they are willing to follow. I sent out an email so far only to one endo in our region. I don't expect that I should be so lucky that she's on board with Dr.Kharazian's regime, or one that is similar, but I have my fingers crossed anyway. I've read horror stories of people trying to get adequate thyroid help in this country. I dread going back to Finland at the end of May, where the language barrier will mean extreme difficulty in getting the right treatments. It's my goal to at the very least get the tests done that I need here, and to take the results back with me to Finland.

Today I went to a Chinese medical doctor to get another perspective. I've gone to Chinese med docs before with some success. He spent an hour listening to me about every single trouble, including emotional, that I've been having. I was given two needles, one just below each knee, to work on the spleen meridian (nothing to do with the spleen). He explained that according to the eastern perspective, my spleen and heart chi are depleted. The spleen is fed by nourishment through food, friendships, and spiritual connection. The spleen then feeds the heart chi, which is the seat of the soul, the physical heart, and other things. He found it interesting that I am affected by coffee as I am. Caffeine is used medicinally as a heart tonic, so it's okay in moderation, but I've got these underlying deficiencies that need to be dealt with. I am to lie down for 20 minutes every day between 1 and 3pm, to spend as much time outside as possible, eat cooked broccoli, and to come back for more accupuncture next week. I love how Chinese medicine incorporates all aspects of health. His explanation make sense. Hopefully he can help me prepare for our upcoming transition at the end of May: our move back to Finland.

Enough time indoors! I'm out for my walk!

I've been waking up groggy for the last couple of weeks. The back of my head and neck are tense, and my eyes are puffy and dry. I've been consuming dairy since my last post. I wonder if dairy is the cause, but at this point, I'm keeping with the dairy, since we're moving in a month, at which point I will stop.

Last night the usual lower back pain was worse than most nights, and I even had a dream about it: I was playing hockey and did a slap-shot which thru my back out. I didn't mention before that I've seen a chiro twice in the last month. On my last visit he said things were moving great, but my lower back still hurt. It's this niggly, pinching kind of pain that comes and goes every few seconds.

I've been learning more about Hashimoto's and it's slowly sinking in what I may be facing as the years to come, especially if I don't get the right treatment. Weight gain, mental fog, being cold, depression, lethargy... It makes me all the more determined to get the right treatment now, before things gets worse. And I am trying hard to treat myself with love and to listen to my body more and more. It's weird to realize that you have a disease. Once in awhile I go through denial, thinking that the test results could have been wrong. Other times I think why do I even bother with the exercise, if I'm going to gain weight anyway. But most of the time I think that this poses an extra challenge, and I can and will overcome it! I will loose 10 pounds of body fat this summer. I will have energy to spare on a daily basis. I will write a master's thesis! Yes, yes, yes!

Foods I've enjoyed recently:
    -salt-free sausages (100% meat)
    -stewed pork ribs (so soft and succulent!)
    -duck
    -lamb's liver and onions
    -double cream in my coffee

Exercise:
    -hour-hour and a half long walks in the hills
    -Excellent ashtanga yoga (it helps me the most)
    -Kundalini yoga
    -Playing with my two-year old (pure happiness)

This is a rant coming from nowhere-since I have not written in my (online) journal for so long... here it is:

Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for by way of responses... maybe a little sympathy, maybe explanations, maybe encouragement, maybe advice? Probably perspective.

I've written elsewhere that I've got some health problems that are yet unresolved: low thyroid, digestive difficulties, weight gain, exhaustion, etc. In the past week I've had diarrhea and extreme exhaustion.

In efforts to loose some weight, I've been eating around 1700 cals a day and keeping a sharp eye on my protein staying close to 100g/day for the past month. I seem to have lost about 3 pounds. Note that I'm breastfeeding and in any moment that I am not exhausted, I try to lift weights, do yoga, anything to get the blood moving properly!

I had a couple weird spells of almost panic, anxiety, dizziness and increased heart rate today. Something is quite wrong.

I recently found a wonderful lactos-free organic edam cheese. Tonight, after noticing I was hungry, and also that fitday was showing that I had only eaten about 1400 cals, I gorged on that cheese!!! I ate at least 350 g of it in one sitting. You know what? I feel better. I feel like I can do some vacuuming. I also now ended up eating 2176 cals and 161.6 g of protein! 1,155 or more of today's calories came from that dang cheese!!!

Well, now that I've written it down for all to see, I'm realizing it's not such a big deal to go off once in a while. I just wonder if maybe I was in need of more protein generally. That's one thing I'd like to know more about is: how much more protein should a breastfeeding mommy (of a 2 yr old) need?

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to go over test results. Here's hoping for answers! Or more tests.

farmerjess is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauty View Post
    This is a rant coming from nowhere-since I have not written in my (online) journal for so long... here it is:

Okay, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for by way of responses... maybe a little sympathy, maybe explanations, maybe encouragement, maybe advice? Probably perspective.

I've written elsewhere that I've got some health problems that are yet unresolved: low thyroid, digestive difficulties, weight gain, exhaustion, etc. In the past week I've had diarrhea and extreme exhaustion.

In efforts to loose some weight, I've been eating around 1700 cals a day and keeping a sharp eye on my protein staying close to 100g/day for the past month. I seem to have lost about 3 pounds. Note that I'm breastfeeding and in any moment that I am not exhausted, I try to lift weights, do yoga, anything to get the blood moving properly!

I had a couple weird spells of almost panic, anxiety, dizziness and increased heart rate today. Something is quite wrong.

I recently found a wonderful lactos-free organic edam cheese. Tonight, after noticing I was hungry, and also that fitday was showing that I had only eaten about 1400 cals, I gorged on that cheese!!! I ate at least 350 g of it in one sitting. You know what? I feel better. I feel like I can do some vacuuming. I also now ended up eating 2176 cals and 161.6 g of protein! 1,155 or more of today's calories came from that dang cheese!!!

Well, now that I've written it down for all to see, I'm realizing it's not such a big deal to go off once in a while. I just wonder if maybe I was in need of more protein generally. That's one thing I'd like to know more about is: how much more protein should a breastfeeding mommy (of a 2 yr old) need?

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow to go over test results. Here's hoping for answers! Or more tests.
    Hi beauty, I also have a similar history (though veg for 15 years). I am also nursing a toddler (20 months) and have hypoT.

With the weird heartrate and exhaustion, it really sounds like you need to get your thyroid medicated. Have you started any hormones yet?

As far as protein and calories in general I wish I knew the answer. I am getting 1600-2300 cal/day and 65-100 gram protein. I definitely feel better at the higher protein level.

Have to run now but will be checking yr journal for updates. I have one too.

Thought I'd post these results here in my journal, too.

Here are the results which are out of range (reference ranges are in parentheses): 28th June 2010:

Thyroid:
    S-T3-V (FT3) 3.4 pmol/l (3.5-6.5)
    P-TSH 1.86 mU/l (0.3-4.2)
    P-T4-V 13 pmol/l (9-20)
    30/03/2010: Thyroid peroxidase antibody level POSITIVE 43Gd.00

Blood:
    B-Leuk 3.5 E9/l (3.4-8.2)*
    B-Eryt 3.9 E12/l (3.9-5.2)
    B-Hb 115 g/l (117-155)
    E-MCHC 319 (320-363)

*This has gone down from 5.5 in Aug.08. Still just in normal range, but it's interesting because it might indicate the type of anemia I have.

Lipids:
    P-Kol (I think this means total cholesterol) 6.0 mmol/l (<5)
    P-LDL lask 3.6 mmol/l (<3)
    fP-Trigly 0.4 mmol/l (0.5-2.6)

6 July 2010

S-T3-V (FT3) 3.3 pmol/l (3.5-6.5)

So, it looks like I'm hypothyroid, I have anemia, and I have high cholesterol. I'll be seeing my doctor about these results next week, but I have a few questions from the wise and informed people on this forum:

Indeed, I have antibodies to my thyroid. Anyone know what 43 Gd.00 means?!

I'm breastfeeding and I lift weights. Am I making the anemia worse? What are people's experiences with anemia?

What's up with the low triglycerides? Is it a problem??? Do they somehow balance out the high LDL?

So, I saw the (private) doctor today. He does sport's medicine but has experience with thyroid patients. He also has a PHd. He's the first doc I''ve seen who really listens and does not judge me for my weird diet and extended breastfeeding. He even did an in-office ultrasound check of my thyroid and parathyroid. He shakes my hand before and after our (2) visits. I seem to have more knowledge pertaining to my particular ailments than he does, but he admits to what he doesn't know, and so does not patronize me.

That being said, he's starting me on thyroxin tomorrow, a very low dose to begin with. The reason for this is because one must deal with a plethora of beaurocracy to get either Armour or Cytomel here in Finland, and his vacation begins tomorrow, so it won't get done until end of August. Best to try thyroxin in the meantime. Well, I've got nothing to loose, really! Also, the doc theorizes that it's possible that once my hormones have normalised, my other problems may get better too, such as the anemia and digestive difficulties. I'm just so so glad that if the thyroxin doesn't work out we can go the other route!

So, I have hope.

Dinner tonight is moose stew and chanterelles! Yay!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. If I'm going to re-introduce dairy for good in my diet I need to be responsible!!!

The other day it was the cheese. Now, Sh*t! I drank a full litre of (raw)milk straight from the container with the fridge door open all in one go, after eating what would have been a responsible number of calories for one day. Man! That was 2,742 cals, 159 carbs today!

On top of it all, I've got a nasty headache and massive gassy bloated belly. Love to myself, and start again tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12