Thread: Bone broth questions page

geostump is offline Senior Member

Bone broth questions

Shop Now
    Do you absolutely have to add vinegar to bone broth? The last time I did that, it turned nasty and I had to throw it out and this was after I added only 1 teaspoon.
    Georgette

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Not necessary but apparently routinely recommended. If you are cooking the bones for a full day you are getting out what you want to get out. Try cutting the pieces into 2-3" chunks to expose more of the bone surface and add some lemon juice instead of vinegar (the acid is the key; not specifically the vinegar). I kind of like the thought behind some acid being needed to extract more minerals from the bones but I've seen some say it isn't necessary... cook the hell out of them, though.

If you used white vinegar that could have been the problem. What do you mean by nasty? Just the taste? Apple cider vinegar is a better choice. Or the lemon juice.

enjoy

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember if I used white vinegar or ACV when I made it. Like I said, its been well over a year since my last attempt. Figured I would do this with the turkey bones leftover from tomorrow. I think I tried it with beef bones the last time and it just didn't seem very beefy. I remember there being a bitter taste, but that's it.
    Georgette

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You may've added too much vinegar. You only need a couple glugs for a 6 quart crock pot.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome