Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating More Vegetables than a Vegetarian. page 3

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen11 View Post
    Well, I've always loved and eaten lots of fruit and veggies, but even more so now. Today the veggies that I had (along with plenty of meat and fat!):

Breakfast: a big bowl leftover soup that included onion, celery, carrot, garlic, kale, tomato, zucchini
    Lunch: green beans cooked in coconut milk with slivered almonds, and a "throw-together" of chicken, peas, shallots and cauliflower
    Snacked on a couple dried apricots while making a dish for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast
    Dinner (will be): ground beef mixed with salsa, served over chopped romaine lettuce and topped with diced avocado and sliced radishes
    Yu-um!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Today's vegetable intake: one banana, one orange, one pomegranate, one tomato, some sticks of cucumber, a gigantic bunch of kale, and probably a bowl of the leftover mashed potatoes from last night's dinner.

However, I dispute the idea that mushrooms are nutritionally meaningless. They are a source of a number of important minerals including copper and selenium, and they're calorically almost non-existent so you can add them in for the nutritional value without much impact otherwise. Yes, they tend to be the basis of some vegan weirdnesses such as Quorn (seriously, WTF?) but that doesn't mean they aren't a good part of one's diet. But I agree, fungi aren't vegetables because, well, they're not plants.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I date boring men, but I'd rather go out with a fungi.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Most vegetarians are not true vegetarians. Most vegetarians eat waaaay too many carbohydrates and as such I call them "carbohydratarians". That's why a lot of 'vegetarians' are sick, overweight and unhealthy.
    I call them carbivores

otzi Guest
    Just noticed the OP spelled MOAR wrong in title...

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I eat more veges than anyone I know IRL.

Breakfast: Spinach, mushrooms, four pieces of bacon and four eggs.
    PWO: Can of tuna.
    Lunch: Canned salmon salad (tomato/capsicum/rocket lettuce/capers/gherkins/nori wrap)
    Afternoon tea: Two apples sliced into chips with cinnamon and cocoa powder (out of almond butter )
    Dinner: Two grass-fed sirloin steaks, kumara fries and two big nori wraps of asparagus and mixed salad.

Typically have a big-ass salad at least once a day - usually lunch, with a smaller one alongside dinner. Oddly, couldn't stand vegetables pre-Primal, but now... can't get enough of them.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I have a feeling most vegetarian diets are full of soy "meat" and other meat replacement products and snack/junk foods than vegetables themselves. I used to be one of them in my teens.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I have a feeling most vegetarian diets are full of soy "meat" and other meat replacement products and snack/junk foods than vegetables themselves. I used to be one of them in my teens.
    That's pretty much all my cousins eat. Never seen them even touch a vegetable.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    +1
    Why, if you have all the bounty of the world's fruit and veg, as many eggs and as much raw dairy as you like available to you, would you eat TOFURKEY or QUORN?!
    If you find meat truly gross, surely you don't want something that's trying its best to taste like it?

I mean, I know a few healthy vegetarians and one vegan who ISN'T insanely skinny and feeble (my little sister, she's a goddamn ox of a girl and the only non-skinny vegan in the family, healthy and strong). Every one of them eats the odd bit of tofu/tempeh, veggie take-aways and veggie junk-food as a TREAT and eats healthy, home-grown veg the rest of the time. Think of a vegetarian 80/20: healthy veg 80%, packaged rubbish 20%. I swear to the Gods, were any of these junk-food vegetarians to eat less rubbish, a lot of them could probably be as healthy as us (what with ready access to eggs and yoghurt as a protein and fat source). Hell, there may even be some more "vegan oxen" to be discovered. It kinda frustrates me as much as seeing someone not doing Paleo/Primal properly. They have the potential for excelent health, but settle for mediocrity and preaching about meats.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I call them carbivores

Grainitarians.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast