Thread: a few questions from a newbie! page

juliebeannn is offline Junior Member

Question a few questions from a newbie!

Primal Fuel
    Helloooo -- I'm a Paleo/Primal newbie, with only about 3 weeks under my belt. Now that I've done it for a few weeks, I have a few questions.

1) Since I've started this new way of eating, I'm never super hungry but I also noticed, I'm never FULL. Is that normal? I still roughly count my calories and I've been reaching an average of about 1600-1800 cals a day (macro breakdown of 20C/30P/50F; 28yo female @ 135lbs). How am I never full? Is it just that paleo/primal-full is just a different feeling from grain-full?

2) I find that light-headed a lot. When I get up from sitting, I have to take a second for the light-headedness to go away to start moving. Sometimes, when I stand up from sitting for a while, my eyes completely black out for a second, which is a bit scary. I'm not sure if this is part of the carb flu, but other than the light-headedness, I feel fine. I'm not lethargic or tired. I slowly weened off of grains before starting Paleo, so I think overall, my body wasn't as shocked as going cold turkey from conventional American (or Asian) diet. Am I not getting enough carbs?

Any input on either of my above questions/issues, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    1. you're eating until you're not hungry anymore. that's exactly what you should be doing, and you're feeling exactly what you should be feeling. you won't feel as bloated with most primal foods, so "full" is going to have a different sensation. enjoy the satisfaction.

2. this happened to me a lot early on. it was also worse after exercise. it's likely a quick drop in blood pressure, which can make you a little dizzy. getting up slowly helps, and, if your experience is like mine, it will regulate with time.

keep doing what you're doing.

Penady is offline Senior Member
    1. When I first started, I had to readjust my definition of "full." I eat until I feel satisfied. If I eat beyond that point, as I did prior to PB, I start to feel ill. I find myself a lot more in tune with my feelings of hunger/satiation now.

2. It's normal to lose water weight in the beginning, which can mess up your electrolytes. Make sure you're getting enough sodium, potassium, magnesium in your diet. You also might want to consider a supplement, short-term. Eventually it passes. Be careful when you change positions, though (sitting/standing, lying/sitting) so you don't have too sudden a drop in blood pressure and pass out.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juliebeannn View Post
    Helloooo -- I'm a Paleo/Primal newbie, with only about 3 weeks under my belt. Now that I've done it for a few weeks, I have a few questions.

1) Since I've started this new way of eating, I'm never super hungry but I also noticed, I'm never FULL. Is that normal? I still roughly count my calories and I've been reaching an average of about 1600-1800 cals a day (macro breakdown of 20C/30P/50F; 28yo female @ 135lbs). How am I never full? Is it just that paleo/primal-full is just a different feeling from grain-full?

2) I find that light-headed a lot. When I get up from sitting, I have to take a second for the light-headedness to go away to start moving. Sometimes, when I stand up from sitting for a while, my eyes completely black out for a second, which is a bit scary. I'm not sure if this is part of the carb flu, but other than the light-headedness, I feel fine. I'm not lethargic or tired. I slowly weened off of grains before starting Paleo, so I think overall, my body wasn't as shocked as going cold turkey from conventional American (or Asian) diet. Am I not getting enough carbs?

Any input on either of my above questions/issues, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I just went through the blood pressure thing. Have your blood pressure checked. That is a classic low BP symptom. My BP has always been low (90/50s) but when it dips just a bit I get dizzy and uneasy. I found adding salt to my diet really helped. My guess is you are now very, very low salt as far as intake goes. Try some caffeine, too, if you need to raise BP. Exercise helps, but then will in the long run probably lower your BP as you become more conditioned.

Add more fat to feel fuller. I feel full to the point of nausea when I eat 1T roasted bone marrow! When I say eat more fat I mean really just eat FAT. Nothing better than a rib eye steak to fill you up for hours on end. I agree with PrimalRob that 'full' is going to need to be relearned for some.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

juliebeannn is offline Junior Member
    thanks guys! i noticed my difference in "fullness" pretty early on and thought, wow, is this what it's supposed to feel like?! i think i'm slowly readjusting and relearning the meaning of being full.

i'll definitely make note to add a bit of salt to my diet to stabilize my blood pressure. i normally have pretty low blood pressure as it is (90-100/60-65), so this could very well be the issue.

thanks guys!!!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    The fullness difference is real. Remember on a "normal" diet how after you eat a lot you have to kick back, maybe loosen that belt a notch, and get groggy for a while? The new full is just realizing you don't need to eat again for a long time, and going about your life.