Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Palate tickling after eating eggs page

  1. #1
    Drlove's Avatar
    Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    203

    Palate tickling after eating eggs

    Shop Now
    Hey,
    Occasionally when I eat eggs I get this weird tickling in my palate. Any ideas why?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Kochin's Avatar
    Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    920
    It may be a mild allergy/sensitivity. Egg allergies are actually very common and you don't have to be born with an allergy: you can develop an allergy to any food you're currently eating, regardless of how often or how much you eat.

    The tickling sensation may be minor swelling and sensitivity. Maybe go and have it checked out by a Dr?

  3. #3
    Drlove's Avatar
    Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    It may be a mild allergy/sensitivity. Egg allergies are actually very common and you don't have to be born with an allergy: you can develop an allergy to any food you're currently eating, regardless of how often or how much you eat.

    The tickling sensation may be minor swelling and sensitivity. Maybe go and have it checked out by a Dr?
    I don't think its severe enough to be checked by a Dr. It only happens occasionally.
    Do you think I should avoid eggs though? that'll surely be a bitch lol.

  4. #4
    Silvergirl's Avatar
    Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    480
    Sounds like a sensitivity or allergy to me. I had no idea I had a problem with eggs and dairy, but after cutting them out I can't go near either anymore. Just be prepared......

  5. #5
    Drlove's Avatar
    Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Sounds like a sensitivity or allergy to me. I had no idea I had a problem with eggs and dairy, but after cutting them out I can't go near either anymore. Just be prepared......
    I looked at the allergy symptoms, none of them seem to fit.

  6. #6
    EyeOfRound's Avatar
    EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    377
    I agree with allergy symptoms; I would definitely have tickling in my mouth/throat when I had allergies as a kid.
    Maybe it just depends on how thoroughly the egg is cooked, e.g. sunny-side-up might cause a reaction, whereas a hardboiled egg might not. I know for me, when I used to be allergic to apples, I never had a problem with things like baked apples or pasteurized apple juice, because whatever protein I was allergic to must've denatured during cooking.

  7. #7
    Kochin's Avatar
    Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    920
    Allergic swelling can be complete (your thoat aches and your breathing is inhibited), or partial. Fugu, for example, causes tingling as the traces of letover poison are numbing the muscles in your mouth and making them tense up. Tickling sensations are usually seen as a precursor to full-blown swelling.

    If you want to carry on eating them I'd suggest seeing a Dr. If it's came on suddenly, it could still be getting worse. You don't want to have an egg in two days and have your throat swell fully w/o an epi-pen, if you may need one. (People are, apparently, usually allergic to the white, not the yolk, if you want to try just that, btw.)

  8. #8
    Drlove's Avatar
    Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    203
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I agree with allergy symptoms; I would definitely have tickling in my mouth/throat when I had allergies as a kid.
    Maybe it just depends on how thoroughly the egg is cooked, e.g. sunny-side-up might cause a reaction, whereas a hardboiled egg might not. I know for me, when I used to be allergic to apples, I never had a problem with things like baked apples or pasteurized apple juice, because whatever protein I was allergic to must've denatured during cooking.
    It does make sense. I think it usually happens when I cook the eggs less thoroughly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Allergic swelling can be complete (your thoat aches and your breathing is inhibited), or partial. Fugu, for example, causes tingling as the traces of letover poison are numbing the muscles in your mouth and making them tense up. Tickling sensations are usually seen as a precursor to full-blown swelling.

    If you want to carry on eating them I'd suggest seeing a Dr. If it's came on suddenly, it could still be getting worse. You don't want to have an egg in two days and have your throat swell fully w/o an epi-pen, if you may need one. (People are, apparently, usually allergic to the white, not the yolk, if you want to try just that, btw.)
    I've had this tingling sensation in the past. And I've been eating eggs for a fair while. I don't think it will cause such severe allergic reactions as you've stated above. It came when I ate the eggs, and stopped immediately when I stopped eating the eggs.
    I do admit you have a point. But since I don't really feel like giving up on eggs, I need to think this through.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •