Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any thoughts on split training or whatever it's called?? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

any thoughts on split training or whatever it's called??

Primal Fuel
    i was thinking Monday: sprints, Tuesday: back/ biceps, Wednesday: legs, Thursday: more sprints, Friday: chest/ triceps. and saturday: core/ abs. sunday i'd rest. is it better to do full body workouts 2-3 times per week? i like the idea of split training because i can really focus on a certain muscle group and feel like i'm getting a better workout too.

Chaloney is offline Member
    Your body doesn't function as individual muscle groups, why would you want to work out that way?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I've done splits, whole body, you name it for years and years, and I've found that I can have very good results with just lifting heavy whole-body 3x per week. I've seen no appreciable difference than when I was doing a 6-day split routine. On my off days I do whatever random--go for a hike or sprints or play a sport. Saves a lot of time, too; I'm only in a weight room 3-4 hours a week now and am as strong(er) as ever.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Short story the only people who should be doing isolation splits are advanced bodybuilders making pretty muscles. Not a IFBB Pro? Get your butt in a squat rack with heavy weights.

"Feel" doesn't matter, numbers on the bar does.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    thanks guys, i guess i'll just stick to my normal routine of full body workouts w/ calisthenics, three times a week then.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    I found if i hit ruts with whole body routines, I would switch to splits or add some splits after my normal routine and it helped me #1. pass a plateau and #2 look sexier.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Breetbree-
    Seriously, pick a program and stick with it for the next few months- at least three.

Whatever you can do consistently will help you get ready for basic training. Getting ready for basic training really isn't necessary, because
    1. many people will enter the military with no training whatsoever.
    2.. the training is designed to take you from zero to passing in 9 weeks.

Jumping programs constantly, looking for new ways to do things- these are unnecessary, waste time, and slow you down. Pick a program and stick with it.

Whole-body lifting or calisthenics will be far more effective for your preparations than any kind of split.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Jumping programs constantly, looking for new ways to do things- these are unnecessary, waste time, and slow you down. Pick a program and stick with it.
    That pretty much defines "Fuckarounditis."
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I've recently got back to split training because I like the way it feels and also find its the best way for me to really sculpt the body. Also I can put a lot of intensity into the workouts as they tend to be shorter. Here's my 4 day schedule:

Day 1 - Weights - Back, Chest, Legs, Abs
    Day 2 - Sprints - 10X100 meters - Then weights - Shoulders and Arms
    Day 3 - 3 to 5 mile run or hike
    Day 4 - Rest Day

Works great for me, but I like to change up my approach every couple of months so I don't get stale. I should mention I also do High Power Yoga and have recently added meditation into my routine three times a week.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Split training isn't necessarily a bad thing but body-part training is just plain weird if your primary goal is strength or improved movement function. If you must break things up by category why not something like push/pull?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast