Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: It's not working! :( page 5

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am not very overweight, I just used to be a lot slimmer and I want to wear those clothes :P I am about a US size 8 but I used to be a US size 4-6 not so long ago and I spent a lot of money on those clothes, so you see what my motivation is!
    The closer you are to your body's optimal range, the slower you will see the differences. MEASURE, don't weigh.

My salads were a big pile of salad, with some meat scattered on top and olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top. Is this the correct dressing to use?
    Yes. I make up a big batch of balsamic, olive oil, and a little dijon, honey, lemon juice, salt & pepper. YOur tastes may vary.

My friend basically told me that you can pretty much eat as much as you want as long it's got fat in it, so I went a little wild...oops! Now I know better (I will let her now what you've told me actually because it might help her too!)
    "As much as you want" means nothing. Does that mean you can eat as much as you WANT, regardless of your body telling you it is long past full?? Eat when you're not hungry, just because everyone else is? Binge on movie popcorn 'just this once?' NO. A better description would be "when you're hungry, eat as much primal food as it takes to satisfy and satiate you, without measuring portions or counting calories."

2. Start being more careful about portions, especially meat. @sbhikes - Thanks for the meal plan! I am going to follow it! I think I've been eating nearer to 8oz of meat...uh oh!
    Its true. You don't need to OD on protein. If you're going to cut carbs, increase FAT, not protein.

Increase the veggies I'm eating
    Only if your gut agrees. Too much fiber can have negative effects on some people.

5. Cut out snacks completely
    Absolutely. If you're eating satisfying meals, you won't need to graze. Don't snack because you're afraid of being hungry. Hunger is a natural state. Embrace it and be thankful that your body knows when its time to refuel.

Is it OK to be roasting vegetables or should I just avoid adding olive oil to things? Is boiling/steaming the best way? (ps, this diet is less fun than I thought, haha! That doesn't mean I'm going to give up though!)
    Either is fine. If I'm using the oven I roast, if not, I steam or microwave. Lots of butter or fat either way

I think I might take a picture every day to motivate myself and keep track of it.
    How about weekly? You dont' need to micromanage.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to start weighing myself?
    good lord no. MEASURE. If your goal is to fit into clothes, let your clothes be your guide, not the scale. The scale has no bearing on the size on your tags. And stop getting hung up on what the tags say. We all know all size 6s are not created equal. A good fitting 8 is going to make you look better than a poor fitting 6. If necessary, have your clothes tailored to fit YOU. That way nobody can wear it as well as you
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Romana is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for you suggestion, Silvergirl! I absolutely want to be like that - not finding new ways to eat the same essentially unhealthy food, but learning to eat in a different way. I will be looking up that book

Romana is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

good lord no. MEASURE. If your goal is to fit into clothes, let your clothes be your guide, not the scale. The scale has no bearing on the size on your tags. And stop getting hung up on what the tags say. We all know all size 6s are not created equal. A good fitting 8 is going to make you look better than a poor fitting 6. If necessary, have your clothes tailored to fit YOU. That way nobody can wear it as well as you
    Great advice, Sandra!

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to leave advice here. I really appreciate it

oxide is offline Senior Member

The "Why" of why we're harshing on you

Romana, the reason we're being harsh is that we've seen a lot of threads like this before: beginner Primal isn't strict enough and slips up with nuts/dairy and it's not working what gives? We get kinda impatient... here we go again, another newbie. We don't mean to hurt you. At least know you're in good company -- you're not alone in this!

The best book is Primal Blueprint, but you can get away with Primal Blueprint 21-day Total Body Transformation, or you can just read the Primal 101 section of this website. I've given you the short version below (hope I got it right):

Here is WHY your diet is tripping you up:

Unlike other diets, you're actually changing the way your body does business. Primal works by converting your metabolic hormone system from sugar-burner to fat-burner. We have the DNA to make hormones which either burn fat or burn sugar. When your diet is based on carbs or sugar, your body is accustomed to calling on the piece of DNA which makes sugar-burner (or sugar-storage!!) hormones, like insulin. When you eliminate sugar and start filling with fat, suddenly you have a bunch of sugar-burner hormones with nothing to do, and a bunch of fat that you don't know what to do with. Your body goes into shock for a little while. This is carb flu. Then your body says, "Oh we're eating fat now, are we?" and begins to dust off that piece of DNA which makes the fat-burning hormones. This is what Mark Sisson calls "reprogramming your genes." It takes your body about a month (IMO Mark's 21 days is the minimum) to properly ramp up that hormone process. Once your body starts burning the fat you eat, it now knows how to burn the fat you have sticking around. YAY! But in order to force the body to make the hormone switch, it is imperative that you are VERY strict during the first months of Primal. You have to really DEPRIVE your body of sugar/carb in order to FORCE it to get used to making the fat-burner hormones.

Thinking about it that way, it's easy to see WHY all those nuts and dairy trip people up. Dairy has a lot of sugar, the timing of between-meal snacking clashes with the timing of fat-burning, and nuts don't seem to be as effective as animal or coconut fat. You're not forcing your body into fat-burner mode, so your body hangs onto sugar-burner as long as it can and you're back at Square 1. Most people have to do this cold turkey. If you go through carb flu, that's actually a VERY good sign.

Look at sbhikes's meal plan and follow it to the letter. If you're still snacking, eat more fat during the meal until you're stuffed. That will really shock your body into fat-burner mode. Even if you gain a couple pounds, the important thing is to force your body switch those hormones at all costs. You can work on the fat later.

Calories do matter, especially for women. This is kind of a new concept for Primal. While Mark talks about calories in his books, he gave off the impression that we could just eat all we wanted. Petite women were all confused that they're weren't losing. This forum had a bunch of arguments on counting calories... isn't that conventional wisdom, isn't it obsessive? I thought our bodies gave us a stop signal?... After some discussion, the general consensus is that yes, in theory, your stomach know what "all it wants" is, but your emotions can override and it's easy to overeat. Your body will burn fat calories, but it can only burn through so much in a day. If you want to burn the fat you already have, you have to bring less into your mouth. Not counting may work for men, or those who work out a lot, but women have to at least estimate.

However, don't cut down on calories until you're sure you've switched to fat burner. Heal your metabolism first.

good luck!
    Last edited by oxide; 11-23-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't like the idea of confusing someone who is new, but I think that myself for example has never been able to enter fat-burning mode and live happily on 3 or less large meals a day and a huge fasting window, even when I ate coconut oil by a spoon (1/3 cup a day, eww) and stuck to perfect ketonic rules for 30+ days. That actually backfired very badly for me & caused damage.

I graze, but I eat perfectly fine food, meat, vegetables, fermented home-made dairy and nuts. My carbs are somewhere between 50 and 80 g. I do not restrict vegetables.

My measure of success is that when I eat ~ 1500-1700 cals a day with a stable preferred weight, without climbing the walls from hunger; sleep >6 hours a night; have strength and energy not impaired and do not have deep depressive spells about fruit. I normally can achieve it when I go for 1 week or more without sugars.

Somebody posted a few days back that there are people whose fat burning metabolism is just not there or is damaged beyond repair. I am thinking one can be a sugar burner but achieve a healthy balance, though one has to eat a bit more often and a bit less at each sitting, but the choice of foods is still Paleo.

In summary, if Primal does not work after 60 days, switching to a classic Paleo and not sweating that you can't eat 1 meal a day is probably not such a bad idea. After all, the change in nutritional behavior is designed to make you feel great, not to make oneself sick.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-23-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    +1 Leida

AC

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I've started grazing too, and it hasn't affected me much. But isn't it better to be strict in the beginning?

I would give it a little longer than 60 days. If it still doesn't work after, say, 6 months, then reassess.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Romana View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if people could point out where I am going wrong?
    You got some darn good advice with this question, some helpful even to a long-time PB'er like me. Please read and re read every comment!

janie is offline Senior Member
    Oxide-
    Your post was full of good information for Romana, as I think most were. I don't think she was reacting to any but one response that I also felt was unduly harsh and unkind. It is as though that poster hadn't even read the original post. Such people would do well to come from a place of kindness and helpfulness when someone asks a question instead of viewing it as an opportunity to attack.

Keep up the good work, Romana!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I've started grazing too, and it hasn't affected me much. But isn't it better to be strict in the beginning?

I would give it a little longer than 60 days. If it still doesn't work after, say, 6 months, then reassess.
    To be honest, I had barely managed 40 or so days, so I am reluctant to try to advise someone to stick to it despite adverse effects longer than I did. I know it would take a better woman than I!

I do Paleo - I feel great. I do Primal - I am barely human. Since both methods are about consuming clean, non-toxic food, and both methods will lead to weight loss with appropriate portioning and food selection, I see no harm in not spending 6 months under water to prove the point...

The other thing I take into consideration is that the original poster is in a relatively lean state, and going from size 8 (~ 27-28" waist) to size 4-6 (24-25" waist) is not an area were Primal excels done 'intuitively' without a genetic predisposition. If the OP had a genetic predisposition, she would be there posting the: "OMG, I am losing weight too fast, and I am never hungry, how can i stop it, please?"

Her leanness indicates a relatively clean (or less destructive) diet to start with, so no major damage from diobesity to overcome.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-23-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast