Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: It's not working! :( page 4

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Roast your vegetables, but make sure that starchy vegetables are minimal, and most of your vegetables are non-starchy (like every kind of cabbage, eggplants, zucchinis, green beans, celery, leeks and peppers rather than beets, carrots, turnips and potatoes).
    Wait a sec. I thought green beans were considered legumes, not vegetables, and weren't really a "Primal" food? Or am I completely wrong?
    Please tell me I'm wrong, because I do love green beans.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I think that green beans constitute a grey area in the old primal world. In a perfect world, we would avoid them, but they are so affordable that we eat them, and since we are eating more pod than bean, i think it works out in the wash. i think mark even had a blog about it around here somewhere . . .

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Try this instead:

Breakfast
    4oz meat (beef, ground beef, liver, salmon, eggs, chicken)
    As much vegetables as you want

Lunch

Dinner
    A small sweet potato
    butter if you need it

You can thank me later.
    +100000!! This is my meal plan and it works for me.

Romana is offline Junior Member
    Gosh, some people are a little harsh on here! I think when people ask for advice, it's not kind to berate them for 'whining'. This forum is for sharing tips, isn't it?

Thank you for all your advice though. Yesterday evening, I came in from a run, saw all your advice, followed it and I honestly feel better! It's amazing Finger crossed I will be seeing results in the next month or so!

I had some eggs with veggies this morning for my breakfast and a tiny bit of cream in my tea instead of milk. But I am definitely cutting out most dairy from now on (no yogurt or cheese, just some cream in my tea...I really don't enjoy black tea and tea is vital to my life!!). Now that I think about it, I can see how dairy is probably one of the main culprits.
    Last edited by Romana; 11-22-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think that green beans constitute a grey area in the old primal world. In a perfect world, we would avoid them, but they are so affordable that we eat them, and since we are eating more pod than bean, i think it works out in the wash. i think mark even had a blog about it around here somewhere . . .
    Gotcha. I would imagine if someone has their own vegetable garden and grows/cans their own, that would be more Primal friendly?

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romana View Post
    Gosh, some people are a little harsh on here! I think when people ask for advice, it's not kind to berate them for 'whining'. This forum is for sharing tips, isn't it?

Thank you for all your advice though. Yesterday evening, I came in from a run, saw all your advice, followed it and I honestly feel better! It's amazing Finger crossed I will be seeing results in the next month or so!

I had some eggs with veggies this morning for my breakfast and a tiny bit of cream in my tea instead of milk. But I am definitely cutting out most dairy from now on (no yogurt or cheese, just some cream in my tea...I really don't enjoy black tea and tea is vital to my life!!). Now that I think about it, I can see how dairy is probably one of the main culprits.
    No kidding. Putting people down does not help anyone. Good luck Romana! Sounds like you're figuring this out.
    : )

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Beans and peas as pods are considered vegetables, while dry beans and peas are considered legumes. There is no restriction on green beans and peas as vegetables in the modern paleo and primal. Only legumes. Even with the legumes, plenty of authors that are close in their philosophy to the paleo and primal, such as Ferris and Hyman suggest legumes as valuable food source. Properly prepared, legumes can be a part of a primal and paleo diet, more valuable than nuts imo, since they share the same flaws as nuts, but carry FAR more beneficial satiation index. I believe if one made a decision to consume tubers, skipping legumes is a hang-over from the initial Paleo days when no starch was allowed, even radishes. I find it odd that people consider eating chocolate (as long as it is >70%) and drinking wine primal, but soaking and eating legumes as non-primal.

EDIT: That's said, just like beets and potatoes, I would avoid mixing legumes with high fat load and reserve them for the lean protein and high carb days.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-22-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Romana View Post

Yeah, some folks around here were weaned on sour pickles. For a healthy (happy) living website there are plenty of d-bags that like to chime in. Ignore them, ask your questions and keep at it. I for one hope you succeed!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    As well as Mark's primal blueprint book. My Son also bought me the book "It starts with food" that solidified for me about what I should be eating and how, and started me on the path of not trying to substitute old favourites, but make new, healthier ones. I would recommend both. doing the whole 30 I finally realized I just can't tolerate eggs or dairy, not fun eggs and dairy, particularly together were one of my absolute favourite things

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Romana, it sounds like you're making changes in the right direction! and if it makes you feel better, even Mark has milk and sugar in his daily coffee.

I'm gonna emphasize again - read a book (or several, and not simply a recipe book, though those contain some yummy primal/paleo friendly eats!) about Paleo/Primal... Primal Blueprint, It Starts With Food, The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Solution, Primal Body Primal Mind...

Here's Mark's take on green beans
    I still see soaking grains and legumes as non-primal (but it may suit some people)... and I would just avoid legumes all together. I also see chocolate/wine as non-primal, but part of my 20%

Also, (and this is not meant to be rude), as a newbie, you should probably ignore anything encouraging carb loading, or lean protein... those... I'll call them "advanced" techniques come into play when you're stuck on weight loss for a few months, or trying to achieve super-cut-ness.... not when you're just trying to learn how to eat primal/paleo.

One last thing - my PSA blurb to describe primal to people - "You eat REAL, unadulterated food - meat, fish, eggs, TONS of veggies, fruits, nuts, and the whole point is to reduce the toxins coming into your body. I feel great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Beans and peas as pods are considered vegetables...
    ...I find it odd that people consider eating chocolate (as long as it is >70%) and drinking wine primal, but soaking and eating legumes as non-primal.

EDIT: That's said, just like beets and potatoes, I would avoid mixing legumes with high fat load and reserve them for the lean protein and high carb days.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast