Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition to fight cold sores page

Skydiver is offline Member

Nutrition to fight cold sores

Shop Now
    I love primal, especially because I no longer get cold sores, at all! I never could have imagined or dared to dream this.

However, the real world does sometimes force me to eat grains on my travels, and then I will develop one almost straight away (talk about the proof is in the eating of the pudding and a real motivator to stave off those evil gluten proteins).

Now as a remedy I found that putting thin slices of garlic on the affected place at bed time and soaking it with echinacea works well but it still takes seven days for it to have fully healed. So my question to you, what natural remedies gets rid of your cold sores and how do you apply it?

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore. 1-2 applications a few hours apart and it just shrivels up. It also kills pinkeye/conjunctivitis very rapidly.

Now that I have squicked you out, and for those without access.....

I have found that Coconut oil is highly effective for getting rid of cold sores quickly. I will apply 4-5 times throughout the day, and usually by the second day it has almost disappeared, and gone by day 3.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I've heard people use lysine supplements. LYSINE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD. I don't have personal experience, but I know that a friend of mine who use to get them quite frequently in college says this worked to stop the outbreaks. Have no idea if it would speed the healing once you already have an outbreak though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-21-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore. 1-2 applications a few hours apart and it just shrivels up. It also kills pinkeye/conjunctivitis very rapidly.

Now that I have squicked you out, and for those without access.....

I have found that Coconut oil is highly effective for getting rid of cold sores quickly. I will apply 4-5 times throughout the day, and usually by the second day it has almost disappeared, and gone by day 3.
    Coffee everywhere...! Yes breast milk will be quite hard to get hold of. But coconut oil to the rescue, once again! Really is a super weapon.

LiquidVTX is offline Junior Member
    Years ago, in the early '80s, my college roommate told me that his grandmother's cure was to take a LOT of acidophilous and every time I feel a cold sore coming on I take about four acidophilous capsules about four times a day. I do that for a couple of days and I never have a cold sore breakout. It's been working all these years. I used to take cod liver oil for them as a kid and that didn't help. Try acidophilous at the first feeling of a breakout. Goo dluck!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Are we talking sore on the inside of the lip/mouth or those that are on the outside? I think one is a virus (outside) and one can be stress induced, poor diet induced (inside). Cold sore vs canker sore.

If I spike a high fever I get a fever blister in the exact same spot every time: the top lip (right side) on the outside. If I catch it early enough I can make it go away with 500-1000 mg lysine capsules or a lip balm that has lysine in it.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    If you get sores frequently and you find lysine helps, take a look at reducing arginine in your diet. Arginine will feed the virus (cause of cold sores) and lysine will kill it; put simply.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Thanks all! Will have to experiment with acidophilous and lysine to see what works for me

PH, I'm talking about the cold sores on the outside of the mouth.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    if access is available, fresh breastmilk is the best way to get rid of a cold sore.
    Whaa?! Hmm it's only primal if the mommy is primal right? LOL I don't have cold sores, but now I have an excuse to ask women for breast milk.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    If you get sores frequently and you find lysine helps, take a look at reducing arginine in your diet. Arginine will feed the virus (cause of cold sores) and lysine will kill it; put simply.
    Short fire question: what ingredients contain arginine? Never heard of it before!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast