Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition to fight cold sores page 2

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Short fire question: what ingredients contain arginine? Never heard of it before!
    On these travels, when you end up eating grains; do you happen to have peanuts or peanut butter with them? Lots of arginine in those peanuts. Supplementing with lysine is the best way to prevent an outbreak.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I use L-lysine at the first sign of a cold sore. 1,000mg, 3 x a day for a couple days than gradually tapper off. I also will use some sublingual B12 - 1,000 mcg a day - that helps to calm any tingling or pain. This treatment keeps it from completely erupting and it tends to disappear within 2-3 days for me.

Same treatment has also worked for my husband twice when he had shingles. Symtoms disappeared for him in 4-5 days.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    +1 on upping your L-Lysine through supplementation. I take 1000mg a day of Lysine, it helps to keep the cold sores in check. It also seems to act as a general anti-viral and I find I get sick less often when taking Lysine.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about the amino acid question, but I wanted to tell you of my mom's experience: she found out she had a sensitivity to nightshades (eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers), and when she cut them out of her diet, her frequent cold sores stopped. Once she succumbed to the temptation of ratatouille and they came on all of a sudden. Sad to cut out those foods, but I guess nightshade sensitivity isn't terribly uncommon, and some people have worse side effects. Good luck...

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Lysine doesn't work for me, I take prescription meds. Gele Royale might conceivably work. Or toothpaste, I hear.

Sally Hansen lipstuff reliably gives me cold sores.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Hubby got a cold sore the other day, I had him put a drop of Lugals Iodine on it & it had completely cleared up by that evening.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Skydiver is offline Member
    Thanks for all the tips all!

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    On these travels, when you end up eating grains; do you happen to have peanuts or peanut butter with them? Lots of arginine in those peanuts. Supplementing with lysine is the best way to prevent an outbreak.
    Last time I had a cold sore on my travels there were no peanuts or peanutbutter involved. Just apple pie and an Indonesian pasta dish. But I followed up your tip and got the Lysine in the kitchen cupboard ready for the suitcase

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidVTX View Post
    Years ago, in the early '80s, my college roommate told me that his grandmother's cure was to take a LOT of acidophilous and every time I feel a cold sore coming on I take about four acidophilous capsules about four times a day. I do that for a couple of days and I never have a cold sore breakout. It's been working all these years. I used to take cod liver oil for them as a kid and that didn't help. Try acidophilous at the first feeling of a breakout. Goo dluck!
    I also got this in the cupboard now.. Just wondering VTX, are those 500mg or a 1000mg you take 16 of during a day?

Another quick question: would the combination of taking acidophilous and Lysine together during an outbreak cause any harmful effects?

LiquidVTX is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    I also got this in the cupboard now.. Just wondering VTX, are those 500mg or a 1000mg you take 16 of during a day?
    I don't worry about the dosage, I just grab a bottle and take several, usually four, at a time, three or four times a day for several days. I never really checked the dosage and it's always worked when I start takeing them at the outset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast