Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Rut page

mauler5858 is offline Member

Weight Loss Rut

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been going at again now for about 4 weeks. I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, but the last two i cannot seem to budge any on my weight. I have been very good on my eating. Let me give you an example of my day:

7am Wake up: Eat 4 fried eggs(coconut oil) with 4 slices of bacon. Weight 266.6

1030am Snack: Couple handfuls of almonds.

12noon Exercise: 30 min treadmill(couch to 5k program) 15 minutes shoulder and tricep workout

1pm lunch: leftover grilled chicken with broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus

7pm(later than usual because my daughter had karate) dinner: Grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing.

830pm evening snack: 4oz Cabernet Sauvignon, 2 squares of dark chocolate.

I had probably 40 additional ounces of water throughout the day. Woke up same time this morning, climbed on the scale. And it was..........266.6

Can any of you see any gaping holes in my list up top that I might can address to help fix this?

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Skip the snacks.

Tough love but try Intermittent Fasting. Thermodynamic and mathematically impossible not to lose weight.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest the following changes:

Skip bacon. You are already eating coconut oil with eggs, no need for extra fat. Instead, add egg white for extra protein and volume plus spinach and/or mushrooms to your breakfast
    Check on those 'handfuls' of almonds. Count out 20-30 almonds, and that should be plenty
    Pick either wine or chocolate, not both.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    me personally.

Skip breakfast. (unless you are seriously hungry)
    Skip the treadmill for the most part (maybe once a week)
    WALK OUTSIDE!
    spend 45mins lifting heavy either upper or lower body, alternate your workouts.
    Combine your breakfast and lunch post-workout.
    Don't snack.

when you are closer to your ideal body/weight, add in snacking/wine/chocolate whatever.

edit: Are you Male or Female? You didn't really specify, it would change things such as IF.
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 11-21-2012 at 05:33 AM.

The poster is much more likely a female, than a male so IF is likely to make things worse rather than better. She is also in a weight range when her walking on a treadmill + short lifting session she does gives her strength exercise bonus for now.

The trouble is that her diet is neither completely Primal (wine & chocolate, ranch dressing) nor completely CW (bacon, oil). We also do not know the amount of complete calories consumed, since grilled chicken is not specific enough.

We also do not know the lifestyle apart from 45 min a day the OP moves. As in is it sitting down the rest of the day or moving around most of the day doing chores or leisure play?

The solution is to make the diet to adhere to either ketonic way or CW (and then she needs to start counting calories).

Thanks for the advice all:

Welding: I am a 28yo male. The treadmill is not always the norm, it just happened to be the most convenient thing yesterday at lunch because we have a gym at my office. Also, breakfast skipping for me is not possible. Unless trying to IF, i get WAY too hungry at lunch time and usually have more problems being sensible at lunch. Also very light snacking keeps me in control because snacking used to be my weakness. I have a baggie at work of about 40 almonds today and the plan is to "graze" on them throughout the day today. Current body weight is 266, goal is 200. (large frame 6'2" male)

Leida: Ill skip the bacon, and i do sometimes add in mushrooms to my eggs. I had just ran out of them already. The eggs come from a friend who has 18 chickens on their own acre of land...completely free-range and delicious. If i had to pick between my wine and chocolate, id have to pick the wine. I know its healthy, and the stress relieving properties are very nice after crazy days like yesterday at the office. And I am definitely male btw :P....with the exception of the dreaded man-boobs . As for activity I have a sedentary job, but get my exercise in at lunch and try to do things at the house as much as i can. A for instance is that I know Mark says to be sure you "play". One activity that I do often to help with this is that my wife and two young daughters love to play the "Just Dance" series of games. I will play with them to keep myself moving and keep a small sweat going.

Beatles: I am planning a 1/2 day IF Friday(to help recover from Thanksgiving)
    Last edited by mauler5858; 11-21-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Your eggs sounds super-good, so yeah, no egg whites crap for you, but I would do vegetables instead of bacon for sure.

Could you add a walk to your routine, preferably after supper?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Imo, ditch the nuts. I know they're touted as great sources of whatever, but they pack a lot of calories for a small amount. Depending on the size of your handfuls, you could easily be getting the same number of calories in a couple of handfuls as you are in the whole rest of your food.

While primal is an excellent way to lose weight and regain health, some very concentrated foods (nuts and oils) should be used within a context of calories for losing weight.

I will try adding an extra walk in, and I will give ditching the nuts a go and see how it goes. Ill try some snack veggies or a fruit such as an apple or something in its stead and see if that helps.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauler5858 View Post
    I will try adding an extra walk in, and I will give ditching the nuts a go and see how it goes. Ill try some snack veggies or a fruit such as an apple or something in its stead and see if that helps.
    Do you have to snack? eat a little bit more in your square meals. Nothing wrong with veggies or fruits of course, but psychologically getting rid of the idea that you need a snack is important. You don't need to snack, let your body work on its fat stores when it feels it needs sustenance, that's the whole idea behind losing body fat. That's why fasting works, in the absence of food, your body has no choice but to tap into its fat reserves. This becomes easier once you're following a relatively low-carb primal diet (as you are) but if you're snacking you're elevating insulin and shutting down the mechanism your body has in place to eat fat, you're giving it other things to work on instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast