Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time to work out - morning, midday, or night? page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

Best time to work out - morning, midday, or night?

Primal Fuel
    I've read that cortisol levels are at their highest in the early morning and tend to dim down through out the day, as does testosterone, however testosterone is higher vs. cortisol towards the end of the day, as well as your body temperature being warmer therefore making it a better time for your workouts.

I've been thinking of changing my exercise routine to 30-45 mins light to moderate cardio in the mornings and then 45-60 minute weigh lifting sessions in the afternoon.

Opinions?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Yes

What ever gets you off your ass and works with your schedule works very very very well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I think it's far more important to work out when you're willing and able vs. some perceived gain in a certain time frame. If mornings work for you, then do mornings. Personally I work out at 6-7pm, that works for me.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I think it's far more important to work out when you're willing and able vs. some perceived gain in a certain time frame. If mornings work for you, then do mornings. Personally I work out at 6-7pm, that works for me.
    Cheers but I have the choice of either. So I want to go with one which offers best gains. I've been working out morning and night for the last 6 months. Now it's time to re-evaluate

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Biggly software doesn't track the time of day but I had a lot of feedback saying best results seemed to be cardio in the morning, weights in the evening, so yeah, do that.

AC

Cayenne is offline Junior Member
    Bravo Dirlot. I agree wholeheartedly ! For me though, it must be early a.m., the earlier the better. Modern life, (except for those who are retired or who somehow have tremendous schedule flexibility,) especially for those w/ kids, IME, usually finds a way to just nudge out the time you had planned/hoped to train.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    What is your objective?

When I was most concerned about stabilising sleep cycles, I exercised in the morning to have exposure to daylight to help sync my cortisol/melatonin cycles. Better than exercising in dark. But I suspect you want to maximise fitness?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i agree with what dirlot has said as well. you should do things when you feel the most comfortable doing them. for me personally, i can do some light cardio in the morning, but just don't have the energy or strength to lift heavy or do HIT in the morning, so i do those in the afternoon. i've been this way my entire life. i mean, you could track some stats (weight, bf %, gains on lifts, etc) for 3 months of doing your current routine, then change the workout schedule up and track the stats again, changing no other variable but workout time. then you'd really know what times were advantageous. to me, i think it's splitting hairs. i'd stick with dong what you want, when you want. then you'll be motivated to do it

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I've done them all and find a lunch hour workout to be the best for me. It re-invigorates me and my afternoons are much more productive.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have to say that a workout in a bad time of the day is better than no workout, but boy, is it a drag. I hate, absolutely hate that I am forced into working out from 3:30 to 4:30-5 pm slot. I basically has to wind myself up for the whole bus ride to the gym for like 40 min to get myself into the gym and get started. Then the first 20 min is a neurotic hell to get over the "Maybe you should just jump out of the window, it would be better for everyone'. And the whole high school is in the gym. F'k. Then the bad time passes and it all gets great for the next 40 min or so, then after I pick the kiddo and go back for a bit of cardio & steam room it's a breeze. Absolutely hate having no choice in the matter.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-21-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast