Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did my first ever sprints the other day page

shelynne62 is offline Member

I did my first ever sprints the other day

Shop Now
    It was hilarious. I walked 30 minutes and then had to sprint across the road and I felt like I weighed a TON. Walked a little more then sprinted again (10sec each time), a 3rd sprint made me realize just how out of shape I am!

But I did SPRINTS! YEAH
    September 2010 SW 236 lbs.
    March 2011 lowest primal weight 190
    November 2012 CW 210 (yeah, I know)
    11/16/12 206.6
    GW 140 - 160 ( we'll see when we get there)

I'm not always consistent, but I am consistently inconsistent.

"If vibrant had a sound it would be you, welcome back to life" Michael Brown (my son)

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelynne62 View Post
    It was hilarious. I walked 30 minutes and then had to sprint across the road and I felt like I weighed a TON. Walked a little more then sprinted again (10sec each time), a 3rd sprint made me realize just how out of shape I am!

But I did SPRINTS! YEAH
    Aren't sprints fun? When I started sprints, I was well warmed up by walking, and then started small, short sprints. Now I sprint for 60-90 seconds and do at least 10. They are so much frick'in fun! They are my favourite part of the week!

Enjoy!
    /lU
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    I've only done them twice in the past month. My knee doesn't seem to like it which is weird.

I did feel stupid though. Good thing we live in the country. I felt like Feebee on Friends, the way she ran in the one episode...LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I like to try to do interval sprints at least twice a week. Unfortunately I have a herniated disk in my back so I can only do them on an elliptical runner or a bike.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    I've only done them twice in the past month. My knee doesn't seem to like it which is weird.

I did feel stupid though. Good thing we live in the country. I felt like Feebee on Friends, the way she ran in the one episode...LOL
    I always run like satan is chasing me

sprints are the best buzz, I don't time mine, I just run like hell.

Louisa655 - how the hell can you sprint for 90 seconds, there is no way I could go full out ass hauling top speed for that lengh of time/
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Cayenne is offline Junior Member
    Louisa,

Picking up on Primal Rob's thought, I would (***UNSOLICITED "ADVICE" WARNING***) respectfully invite you to consider adding some 10-30 second sprints into "the mix." Think 40 yard to 100 yard dash, with a near to all out effort. No doubt 90 seconds of sustained high intensity work is a tremendous effort. It is however, IMO & IME a very different beast than the shorter distances with nothing held back. (90 seconds, again, IME, requires some level of "pacing" to finish. Heck, even 30 seconds can. 10 seconds of pure exploding, explosive, explosion, with some explosioness to boot, now that's something :-) [An imagery I've used, which meshes with primal thinking I suppose, is that I am literally running for my life, usually, probably b/c I've seen too many movies, toward a cliff over a river that I am crazed and sufficiently survival motivated to jump into while those pursuing me would not. A wild beast, a hostile tribe, a real life Nigerian scam letter author, whatever works. In the words of an renowned internet fitness guru, Enjoy the pain.]
    Last edited by Cayenne; 11-21-2012 at 03:34 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I sprint I count breaths and try for 20 to 30 breaths. I will stop sprinting as soon as I slow down a little bit. Sometimes it requires a huge push to get all the way to 30 breaths. Sometimes I even can barely make it to 15 breaths. Typically the distance for 30 breaths is never quite as much as 200 yards and a little more than just the straightaway on the track.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I jog about a mile over to the high school track and run intervals twice a week. Currently do 10 X 100 meter sprints. I sprint down the straights, walk halfway thru the turn then begin a slow jog until I start my sprint at the end of the turn. Then I jog home. It took me a few weeks, but now I really enjoy the exerperience. Sometimes I'll do my sprints barefoot on the football field turf which I also enjoy very much.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
    Louisa,

Picking up on Primal Rob's thought, I would (***UNSOLICITED "ADVICE" WARNING***) respectfully invite you to consider adding some 10-30 second sprints into "the mix." Think 40 yard to 100 yard dash, with a near to all out effort. No doubt 90 seconds of sustained high intensity work is a tremendous effort. It is however, IMO & IME a very different beast than the shorter distances with nothing held back. (90 seconds, again, IME, requires some level of "pacing" to finish. Heck, even 30 seconds can. 10 seconds of pure exploding, explosive, explosion, with some explosioness to boot, now that's something :-) [An imagery I've used, which meshes with primal thinking I suppose, is that I am literally running for my life, usually, probably b/c I've seen too many movies, toward a cliff over a river that I am crazed and sufficiently survival motivated to jump into while those pursuing me would not. A wild beast, a hostile tribe, a real life Nigerian scam letter author, whatever works. In the words of an renowned internet fitness guru, Enjoy the pain.]
    I was coached for years in running. I'm used to interval training that included sprints on a weekly basis. Used to begin sprint training for :30 seconds, and would increase in increments of :10s up to 2min sprints. Would add additional # of sprints weekly. I know what sprints are and I know how to sprint and I know what my body can take. I intend to race 10 km races, training only using sprints. I'll check back in after my next 10km race. Sprint on :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I jog about a mile over to the high school track and run intervals twice a week. Currently do 10 X 100 meter sprints. I sprint down the straights, walk halfway thru the turn then begin a slow jog until I start my sprint at the end of the turn. Then I jog home. It took me a few weeks, but now I really enjoy the exerperience. Sometimes I'll do my sprints barefoot on the football field turf which I also enjoy very much.
    Funny, but that's the same sprint workout that I do.
    Jog to my local high school track, sprint the straight part of the track, then slow jog around the arc.
    I'm at the point where the soreness is no longer there, I'm staying on the balls of my feet and leaning foward better too.
    I was doing that twice a week as well, but I found a nice 90 yard hill in a local park that starts at 10 degrees, then increases to around 30 degrees before topping out.
    Now I sprint the track once a week, and sprint the hill once a week. I think the hill sprint is helping me to sprint better on the flat track, with better form and drive. I feel much more confident sprinting flat after incorporating the hill sprint into my routine.
    As a youth, sprinting was always my strong point, and I'm very happy to be doing it again. Noticing improvment makes me motivated to keep doing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast