Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I did my first ever sprints the other day page 3

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Try hill sprints if you're worried about your hamstrings.

PaleoMum is offline Member
    Michael Johnson, when he's commentating on Sanya Richards doing the 400m in around 49s, always says that you can't sprint flat-out for 400m and you have to relax and maintain along the back straight. And he's got to be the guru, right?

PaleoMum is offline Member
    See, I know how good sprinting is for you, but it makes me feel so terrible I'm reluctant to do it. Did it a couple of weeks ago with my 9-year-old as a rabbit (I never caught her!) doing 4x30s with 4mins recovery in between, and afterwards I felt so sick I had to miss having my tea!

Cayenne is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I have started doing Sprint 8 on a recumbent bike recently and have to say I like it a lot. Much easier on the skeleton and less of a chance of pulling a hamstring. The older I get the more I am aware of the risk of injury. Also as I get older fitness gains come a lot harder and an injury can destroy months of training in an instant. I love sprinting in the park but am not sure how much I will do it from now on.
    A couple years ago, after being what I thought was very thoroughly warmed up, (I had hiked extensively a bit earlier in the day,) I took a Karate class and while executing front kicks, to my disappointment and surpirse, badly injured a hamstring.) Although I want to preserve the ability to sprint if ever necessary, (thinking more life and death than catching a train, for example,) for training situations I have now leaned in the same direction as you ecole66. I've done "sprints" with: Heavybag, rebounder, squat/row movements with resistance bands and, IME, the most brutal, the Scwinn Airdyne.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMum View Post
    See, I know how good sprinting is for you, but it makes me feel so terrible I'm reluctant to do it. Did it a couple of weeks ago with my 9-year-old as a rabbit (I never caught her!) doing 4x30s with 4mins recovery in between, and afterwards I felt so sick I had to miss having my tea!
    The best thing is to start out gradually and build up intensity. Sprints are not supposed to be a nice walk in the park, so if you want great results, continue to sprint, just remember that things must proceed gradually! Right now I have injured a tendon in one of my calves, so my stair sprints cannot be an all-out effort these days, but I still jog up the stairs…

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123