Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: I did my first ever sprints the other day page 2

  1. #11
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,158
    Primal Fuel
    I love to do stair sprints in a public stair that goes up from the beach where I live, 7 o'clock in the morning I sprint up for 30 seconds and then walk down. First 4 easy warmups, then 10 all out sprints, and thereafter 1 calm down sprint. Finally I do 30 minutes of easy jogging on the beach for around 25-30 minutes, often without shoes. Sometimes I also walk a little to finish...

  2. #12
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I was coached for years in running. I'm used to interval training that included sprints on a weekly basis. Used to begin sprint training for :30 seconds, and would increase in increments of :10s up to 2min sprints. Would add additional # of sprints weekly. I know what sprints are and I know how to sprint and I know what my body can take. I intend to race 10 km races, training only using sprints. I'll check back in after my next 10km race. Sprint on :-)
    I am propper impressed. Is it a full out as fast as you can go thing or is there any element of pacing when you sprint for up to 2 mins, I'm asking cos I just can't imagine myslef being able to haul ass at full bore for that long, it seems so far away from the 15 to 20 seconds I manage. Not sure if sprinting is a term you are using for a specific pace - like sprinting on a bike for example is not as full out as on foot as you have to balance between spinning your legs and grinding the gears, so can be done for longer, where as with running you can just run all out 100% into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I love to do stair sprints in a public stair that goes up from the beach where I live, 7 o'clock in the morning I sprint up for 30 seconds and then walk down. First 4 easy warmups, then 10 all out sprints, and thereafter 1 calm down sprint. Finally I do 30 minutes of easy jogging on the beach for around 25-30 minutes, often without shoes. Sometimes I also walk a little to finish...
    I've tried sprinting up stairs -crap that hurt my legs
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  3. #13
    ecole66's Avatar
    ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I am propper impressed. Is it a full out as fast as you can go thing or is there any element of pacing when you sprint for up to 2 mins, I'm asking cos I just can't imagine myslef being able to haul ass at full bore for that long, it seems so far away from the 15 to 20 seconds I manage. Not sure if sprinting is a term you are using for a specific pace - like sprinting on a bike for example is not as full out as on foot as you have to balance between spinning your legs and grinding the gears, so can be done for longer, where as with running you can just run all out 100% into it.



    I've tried sprinting up stairs -crap that hurt my legs

    I tend to agree with this. If you are really running all out, can't go any harder I am not sure you can sustain that for more than 20-30 seconds.

  4. #14
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I've tried sprinting up stairs -crap that hurt my legs
    I find stair sprints to be the safest form of sprinting that I have tried, (not counting the elliptical machine!), probably due to lower maximum speed. I sometimes also sprint in the beach though, but in shorter intervals, like 5 – 8 seconds, due to a higher risk of rupture of tendons…

  5. #15
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    Yeah, I sprinted on the beach once, barefoot on wet sand, my arches were a tad sore the next day, it's hard on the body, but the distance between strides once I was going full bore was really amazing, plus the toe and ball of foot only prints really showed how different sprinting is from running.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  6. #16
    excursivey's Avatar
    excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I jog about a mile over to the high school track and run intervals twice a week. Currently do 10 X 100 meter sprints. I sprint down the straights, walk halfway thru the turn then begin a slow jog until I start my sprint at the end of the turn. Then I jog home. It took me a few weeks, but now I really enjoy the exerperience. Sometimes I'll do my sprints barefoot on the football field turf which I also enjoy very much.
    This is basically my exact thing too. Felt like a flailing idiot the first time as all my muscle memory is set on jogging it seems. But I'm getting better and better at it and feel SO good after!
    Breathe. Move forward.

    I just eat what I want...

  7. #17
    MisterFrancis's Avatar
    MisterFrancis is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    25
    Lately I've been vomiting after my sprints. I usually sprint 1.5 hours after a meal, usually after breakfast. I do alot of hill sprints for 20 seconds, 1 minute off. Anybody have suggestions on how to recover without feeling terrible?

    Since the weather is getting colder, I am switching to swimming to do my sprints. However, I feel whenever I go swim fast, my form suffers. Does anyone have suggestions to improve my swimming form via books or videos?

    Thank you

  8. #18
    Cayenne's Avatar
    Cayenne is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I was coached for years in running. I'm used to interval training that included sprints on a weekly basis. Used to begin sprint training for :30 seconds, and would increase in increments of :10s up to 2min sprints. Would add additional # of sprints weekly. I know what sprints are and I know how to sprint and I know what my body can take. I intend to race 10 km races, training only using sprints. I'll check back in after my next 10km race. Sprint on :-)

    Louisa, clearly you are a knowledgable and accomplished athlete. Sprint on indeed ! :-)

  9. #19
    counterpuncher's Avatar
    counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    257
    It's starting to get icy on the track in the early mornings, so I guess I'll be moving indoors to sprint on a machine......
    Yeah, right.
    I don't think so.
    I stopped off after work today and picked up a pair of cleats so I can sprint the football field that the track surrounds.
    Looking foward to it in the morning.

  10. #20
    ecole66's Avatar
    ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    104
    I have started doing Sprint 8 on a recumbent bike recently and have to say I like it a lot. Much easier on the skeleton and less of a chance of pulling a hamstring. The older I get the more I am aware of the risk of injury. Also as I get older fitness gains come a lot harder and an injury can destroy months of training in an instant. I love sprinting in the park but am not sure how much I will do it from now on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •