Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions about Oil page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

2 Questions about Oil

Shop Now
    #1 If I just plain out don't like coconut oil, is there something else out there that can give me the same benefits.

#2 Does anyone know of any cooking sprays that would be Primal? I'm not using any right now because I haven't found any, but I sure miss the convenience.

Thanx in advance for any info.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a thing against ghee? Or lard?

We have coconut oil and oilve oil as our backstops.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil's particular benefit is MCTs. You can still get this using refined coconut oil. Palm oil is also rich in MCTs. I'm guessing you won't like the unrefined stuff but again there is refined (but there are environmental issues with its large-scale production)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    #2 Does anyone know of any cooking sprays that would be Primal? I'm not using any right now because I haven't found any, but I sure miss the convenience.
    I have no idea about pre-packaged sprays, but...

For $10-20/ea you can buy hand-pumped oil sprayers. "Misto" is one brand out of many. I've used them with olive oil and they offer most of the convenience of the spray cans, once you learn their quirks. Should be able to stay 100% primal with that.

For slightly thicker stuff, I personally really like FIFO bottles...you can get them at restaurant supply places, amazon, etc... search for "FIFO bottle". I have a FIFO bottle with ghee for example. It's a plastic bottle and you are on your own regarding BPA and the like but they beat seven types of tar out of the classic plastic squeeze bottles.

magicmerl, lard is awesome (just rendered my first small batch a few days ago). Ghee I haven't tried, but I do use butter.

peril, yes, it's the MCTs I was wondering about. It seems like these might be a good thing to have in my diet. I read that horse's milk also has them, but I'm thinking it's probably hard to come by. Does refined coconut oil have any downside?

Him, thanks for the tips! I've seen the Misto on Azon, but it gets such mixed reviews. I'll check out the FIFO bottle for sure.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    I should have said this about Misto: I bought a two-pack from Costco maybe two years ago. I used them with habanero oil and lime oil (really just flavored olive oils I think). After about a year of light use one split down the side. I replaced it with one from another company that has a glass bottle...it seems to be holding up better but I can't remember the brand.

Still, if it lasts three fills, it's probably cheaper than PAM and you know what sort of oil you are getting.

My parents had a stainless steel-bottled sprayer with olive oil years ago and it lasted a long time. They may still use it for all I know. So there are some decent ones out there.
    Last edited by Him; 11-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    magicmerl, lard is awesome (just rendered my first small batch a few days ago). Ghee I haven't tried, but I do use butter.
    Our primary use of butter is to render it into ghee.

We put the whole stuck in a glass measuring cup, in the oven, on the lowest temp for about an hour. When you come back, the pure butterfat is see through and on top. Using oven mitts, pour the ghee layer into another vessel and store in a cupboard. Simple and easy.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jakey is offline Senior Member
    refined coconut oil is totally fine if you don't otherwise like the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    refined coconut oil is totally fine if you don't otherwise like the taste.
    Thank you, jakey and everyone!

Ya know, six months ago, I didn't have butter (or margarine ever, ick), lard, or "liquid" oils of any kind in my home. I used a liquid butter substitute for flavor and cooking sprays for things like eggs or to start stir-fries. I used Coffeemate and Spectrum Vegan Mayonnaise. I think of all the things that Primal changed for me, it was my attitude toward fats. I'm still a calorie counter, and I'm not sure getting 70% of my calories from fat is a good thing (I kind of worship protein), but my hair looks good and my food tastes much better.

IOW, my conclusion: too much fat on my ass isn't great, but some more fat in my food is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast