Thread: Diaphragm. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Diaphragm.

Oh. My God!

How do people not eat more beef skirt? This stuff if AMAZING.
    I went in with low expectations; only one butcher has them and they're 4.50/kg versus his usual 7+/kg for ANY other beef steak cut. It looked a bit rough but, at that price, I was willing to give it a go.

When you peel the membrane off, the fat largely comes off with it, revealing a lean, intensely coloured piece of meat. You can trim off the membrane and render the fat SO easily, whilst making the BEST beef crackling in the process. I stir-fried my first try of skirt in its own fat, with a variety of veg and a bit of garlic. No other seasoning, so I could taste it all pure.

My first nibble of the crackling had me in ecstasy. It was gorgeous, crunchy crisp on top, juicy, yet light on the bottom. A preview of the flavours to come in a few bits of meat that still clung on for dear life, kept juicy by the oozing tallow.

I stirred my very thinly cut skirt into the almost-finished veg and gave it all just under a minute at top heat. I served immediately. The smell was inviting, but nothing extraordinary.

The taste, however... Wow. The meat was JUST pink in the centre -- well, I say "pink", though not bloody it was STILL vivid red in parts, something I'd only ever seen in heart. Yet it was medium, not rare. No visible blood, no taste of it (not that I mind). It almost melted in my mouth and every bite brought forth meaty juices, intensely flavoured byt its own fats.

I'd rank it only slightly below sirloin. This stuff's the dog's b******s.

Tomorrow is "Operation Perfect Skirt Steak (with eggs)".

EAT SKIRT STEAK!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I didn't know skirt steak is actually the diaphragm. I've had it before, I guess I was just unaware of what part of the cow it was!

Couldn't resist. Had a rare skirt steak now.

Just as awesome as the first try. Verdict remains unchanged. Eat diaphragm.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's odd how they have to market stuff to sound "un-offal-ey", eh? Apparently meat from too far beneath the skin is too "weird" for the general population. Hangar is also part of the diaphragm.

And I'm sure you agree that it's an amazingly juicy and flavourful cut.