Page 34 of 283 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 34

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Headache went away with water, like I thought it would. Jaw is still bugging me. It has off and on since my early teens. It usually only bugs me when I've had too much sugar, I use my jaw too much, or I open my mouth too wide. Today is because of the sugar. It's right on the joint, just a dull ache or sharp pang if I do something to piss it off (which, today, includes chewing.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like all the issues could be linked to sugar, potentially. Inflammation?

I'm prone to earwax build-up (though didn't get ear infections that often growing up, my sister was plagued with them). To avoid, I always put my ear directly in the line of water while in the shower, then let the water drain out or use my finger to wipe away any residue at the entrance to the ear canal. As long as I stay on top of that, everything stays clear. If I get sick or things back up for some reason, I dribble hydrogen peroxide in my ear with my head tilted & let it fizz till I can hear clearly, then I rinse with warm water. I used to have one of those ear irrigation bulbs (the kind they use for babies), but now I just do it before I hop in the shower. Be careful not to get the peroxide on your clothes .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, I'm prone to wax buildup too. The earaches I got every few months until primal (the kind that have you lying on the floor sobbing and clutching your ear) were from impacted ear wax. I actually have an earwax scoopy thingy (basically a safe version of a q-tip,) but I lost it and haven't remembered to buy a new one yet (it was less than $10.) When I remember to use that every week or so, my hearing's normal and no infections.
    Yeah, I know it's the sugar and inflammation. It's a known issue for me. I'm just really bad about remembering the bad stuff until after I eat the sugar.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My husband has an ear infection as we speak. He is prone to "swimmer's ear" and has to use q-tips daily to get the water out. He's done the peroxide thing and the rubbing alcohol thing (supposedly that helps dry up any water) but he says the alcohol burns like a bitch. I've seen those infomercials for the ear dryer (it lighly sucks the water out of your ears) and have contemplated getting one for him. I'm sure using q-tips to dry out his ears is contributing to the problem.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Try a bulb syringe, like the kind you use to suck the snot out of a kid's nose, first. That usually works for me.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Chiro cancelled on me for this evening, so my next appt is Wednesday.
    Had bacon (3) and eggs (2) for lunch. The eggs were omega-3 cage free, the bacon was nothing special. I think some of the capsaicin from the chipotle on the roast soaked into the seasoning on the skillet, because this is the second batch of things on this skillet that have had a kick when they shouldn't have. (Not bad, just unexpected.)
    My Primal Battle Tome

Here's the ear wax scoopy thingy I was talking about. Laugh if you want, but I love this damn thing.

Onto the sugar issues. Sugar is a known culprit for many of my inflammation problems. I wouldn't be surprised if cutting out sugar would help my thyroid. Unfortunately, sugar is also my largest demon (well, after some of my emotional demons from my past.) Finding that carb and sugar sweet spot that doesn't cause cravings, binges, or thyroid problems has been difficult at best. I think I've found it, though. This is all n=1, your mileage may vary.
    Under 50g total carbs and my body starts freaking out and my thyroid goes wacko. No go.
    Over 110 total carbs and my brain goes into craving/ binge mode. "It obviously must be a special day with all these carbs, so blow the wad!"
    Certain veggies do help me get beyond the cravings. Bell peppers, raw green leaf veggies ( especially greenleaf right from the head), raw onion, and cucumber especially seem to help. Gazpacho salad seems to be the biggest craving killer I've run into to date.
    Certain fruits help kill the cravings without sending my carbs through the roof or making me want more sugar. Strawberries and apples are generally my go tos.
    Certain things send me running for the sugar: grains, low carb days (my body needs at least 50 carbs, in whatever way it can get it), family stress (been that way since I was a kid), pain (a holdover from when I was a toddler and sugar actually cured pain), lack of sleep (means lack of willpower and giveafuck), and disappointing meals. Sugar represents comfort.
    Certain other things make sugar the last thing on my mind: balanced eating and distraction (especially when I can't get my hand free long enough to shove it in my mouth, like painting my nails, taking a bath, a good documentary, or video games.)
    Eating sugar means I want more sugar. I am an addict and I react as such. If it is a fruit and comes with nutrition, my body and brain seem not react as badly.
    There are certain items that, while they contain sugar, do not continue the cravings, and act to to halt a binge: honey, good chocolate, bananas, apples, and oranges.
    A balanced diet (meaning I hit all my micronutrient requirements except sodium, potassium, and choline, with no mental instability, cravings, binging, or body issues) seems to be 60- 90g carbs, 70-90g protein, and 80- 150g fat, with a calorie range between 1200 and 2200 calories (a weekly average of 1800 calories.) Of that, roughly 30g carbs can be fruit, starch, and dairy sugar before my cravings are triggered. Any refined sugar at all and my cravings are triggered. Honey seems to be considered a "safe" sugar by my body and seems not to trigger cravings. Fake sugars act as real sugar to my brain, and trigger cravings.
    So, my goal now is to take that all into account and see if I can kick sugar cravings for good.
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a good analysis. Your plan looks sound. I'll be watching to see how it works for you.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I to have a love/hate relationship with sugar. I seem to love it and it continues to hate me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm debating on whether or not I want to cough up for a membership at the Y or the local community college. I really would only use it for the pool and possibly the cardio equipment (we have a weight cage here at the house.) Either way, I'd pay about $40-45/ month on that, which I'm not keen to do just to use a pool and maybe the hot tub or cardio. I looked at UTPB and, while it's a heated pool, it's outdoor. It's cheaper, but convincing myself to swim outside when it's 30-40* outside just wouldn't happen.
    I know my company would pay a certain amount if I went so many days per month at the Y, but unless that brings it down to half price, I think I'll just stick with walking at the mall and parks. I love swimming, but not that much.

Things to do this weekend: spend my gift card, trade hostages at Goodwill, write up another SER.
    My Primal Battle Tome