Page 240 of 283 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2828

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 240

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Got some chia seed kombucha at the hippie store, out of curiosity and because they were out/ didn't carry the plain black tea one. It's my first experience with chia seeds, aside from a Chia Pet. They're relatively tasteless, that I can tell, but I like the texture. Kinda reminda me of a small version of tapioca pearls/ tapioca pudding. Definitely makes for an interesting drink. Reminds me of a tart version of boba tea, except far less chewy.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I made the mistake of reading a Jezebel article on spanking. I've also made the mistake on reading stuff on home births, water births, and all this other shit.
    I want kids. I know I want kids. I'm finally moving beyond the "I raised my own damn siblings, so no kids yet" stage. I also know that there are some hard decisions we'll need to make. I'm not talking cloth or disposable or even vaccines. I'm talking how we raise our kids. Geek was raised in a loving, nonabusive way. Y'all've "heard" how I was raised. The idea of trying to make sure I don't raise an entitled prick or a cowering mess weighs heavily on my mind.
    There are so many things I want to do "right", but I'm human, I know I'll fuck up. We've talked about how we'll handle misbehavior and good behavior, in broad terms. I know I don't want to hit my kids (aside from the equivalent of swatting a hand from a hot stove.) I know there's a really good chance that kids we have will be logical and explaining reasons behind things would be all it takes for them to accept a "no." I also know there's a chance I could end up with a horribly illogical creature that I don't understand and that doesn't speak my language. I know all these hard things. Makes midwife center vs hospital seem a downright simple decision, in comparison. I know that base rules are all we'll be able to have until the child(ren) appear, because the kids' needs and personalities trump whatever best intentions we have.
    I just know two things, if I were to end up pregnant today: I don't want my children to need Al-Anon, and I refuse to let them be entitlement jerks.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I made the mistake of reading a Jezebel article on spanking. I've also made the mistake on reading stuff on home births, water births, and all this other shit.
    I want kids. I know I want kids. I'm finally moving beyond the "I raised my own damn siblings, so no kids yet" stage. I also know that there are some hard decisions we'll need to make. I'm not talking cloth or disposable or even vaccines. I'm talking how we raise our kids. Geek was raised in a loving, nonabusive way. Y'all've "heard" how I was raised. The idea of trying to make sure I don't raise an entitled prick or a cowering mess weighs heavily on my mind.
    There are so many things I want to do "right", but I'm human, I know I'll fuck up. We've talked about how we'll handle misbehavior and good behavior, in broad terms. I know I don't want to hit my kids (aside from the equivalent of swatting a hand from a hot stove.) I know there's a really good chance that kids we have will be logical and explaining reasons behind things would be all it takes for them to accept a "no." I also know there's a chance I could end up with a horribly illogical creature that I don't understand and that doesn't speak my language. I know all these hard things. Makes midwife center vs hospital seem a downright simple decision, in comparison. I know that base rules are all we'll be able to have until the child(ren) appear, because the kids' needs and personalities trump whatever best intentions we have.
    I just know two things, if I were to end up pregnant today: I don't want my children to need Al-Anon, and I refuse to let them be entitlement jerks.
    I am sure you could make an awesome parent. You know what not to do. Follow through and consistency make a world of difference. Kids do best when they can predict the result of their actions ( within reason of course). Take a deep breath and know that all will be well. The fact that you are taking all of this so seriously speaks volumes. It will most definitely not be like when you were a kid trying to raise your siblings. Trust yourself.

Thank you, marc. There are just certain topics that make me wonder if my fucked up childhood will cause me to be a fucked up mom, and I wouldn't wish that on any kid. I'm trying to have confidence and trust, but this is a topic, above almost all others, that causes me anxiety.
    I guess I'm not quite over whatever it is yet. I was coughing a lot yesterday (a nasty little dry cough) and woke up with a really painful bronchial cough and sneezing today. Because of the cough and what hurts, I'm really in a mood just to rip out my lungs and respiratory tract, feed it to the dog, and transplant with new ones. I feel like I'm drowning in my own lungs. I think it's a combination of allergies and bronchitis transmuting into this huge nasty THING that makes sure I can't breathe.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hubby and I both received sub-par parenting and I think we are doing a fine job with our son who is now 15. Knowing what you don't want is a fine place to start. When it comes to parenting I believe that if you follow your heart you can't go too wrong. We always did things our own way, home birth, extended nursing, unschooling etc. I couldn't have known before I had my son that I would make those choices, we made things up as we went along, following our intuition, taking into consideration our son's needs and temperament and doing a lot of research.

Now son is 15 and is doing independent study at high school, his teachers love working with him because he actually likes learning. He still enjoys spending time with his parents and I prefer his company to that of most adults I know. I wouldn't have thought it possible considering the lousy parenting I had growing up.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 03-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

That's encouraging, UF. Makes me think that maybe I can actually cut this parenting thing.
    Today I have two experiments in progress: homemade garlic dill pickles and homemade kimchi. I have the pickles in a cool dark spot, waiting for them to do what they do; and I have the kimchi salt soaking.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Just got back from the allergist. Apparently, my asthma numbers haven't improved at all in the entire time I've been seeing him. At all. Doesn't matter what drug or drug combination I try. If this last combo doesn't work, I'm pretty much SOL. Needless to say, I'm looking into alternative methods of control and getting better.
    So far, I've seen exercise as a viable option. Caffeine makes it worse, capsaicin seems to have a small positive effect. Garlic and probiotics don't seem to help. Bearing in mind that I refuse to use homeopathic crap, what do y'all know that might help on a long term basis?
    My Primal Battle Tome

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Long time sporadic lurker. I too had those fears about parenting - I come from abuse, as does husband. I also worried about passing on some medical issues I was born with - it was unlikely, but when has that ever stopped a person from worrying?

We have never hit our son (though the little so and so has pushed our buttons) and are not abusive parents in other ways either. We watch out for each other and tag-team when either one of us is on the verge of losing it (not that I think this would result in violence if one of us did completely lose it). We're not bad parents, not perfect (who is?), but not bad. If you come to this task from a position of humbleness and a willingness to learn, I think you'll be just fine. Also, being a mum is pretty magical.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Another lurker here. How was I not following this journal?!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi guys! Thanks for coming out of the shadows. BG, You vote of confidence, especially given a similar backgroun, means a lot to me. The advice doesn't hurt, either. As to how y'all missed me, I don't post horribly often and usually at odd times for the average Central Time zone person, so it's excusable.
    I think what I need to do is exercise (weights before work, walking with Geek after work, and yoga when I can fit it in.) Probably meditation too. More ginger/ turmeric/ curry can't hurt. I wonder if probiotics might do anything. The research seems inconclusive to disproving, but it helps my gut anyways. I think no more yogurt after this carton is gone.
    My Primal Battle Tome