Page 216 of 283 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2828

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 216

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today was, well, hectic. I walked in knowing precious little, aside from what I was teaching. I was pretty much thrown to the wolves. It doesn't help that I was told "oh, you probably won't have classes this week because retesting" and then found out that yes, indeed, I was teaching, and no, I didn't have any lesson plans. So, I winged it. Worked reasonably well. Didn't have any roll sheets or access to the gradebook site until the last half of the day. Still don't have access to the gradebook site for my first campus.
    Kids were reasonably well behaved. Tested me, but they're gonna do that. Hell, I did that as a kid, and I was a good student. I kept reasonable control of the room, using techniques from several of my favorite teachers.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Food has been primal and nonallergenic. Sleep has been hit or miss. I want to get to sleep at a normal time, but Geek is still used to my sleep schedule off work, so we spent 3 hours at his sister's setting up all her computer crap, after I waited an hour at walgreen's because they can't seem to understand "two inhalers a month." Then we ate, THEN he wanted some gaming time with me. I didn't get to bed until 0030, when I was aiming for 2200.
    Today's gonna be chaotic, but hopefully useful. I may or may not be in my classrooms at the morning school, and I have retesting kids. I'm hoping to start jumping ahead to use of significant figures in calculations, but I'm not holding my breath. Afternoon campus is still doing their spaghetti bridge analysis, and apparently resultant forces are relatively new material, so we'll be analyzing that. After school I hafta haul ass downtown for some benefits seminar and sign up at 1630, then MAYBE eat dinner, then my Al Anon sponsor meeting and Al- Anon meeting (need to leave town by 1800.) Then paperwork for classes, maybe dinner, prepping for tomorrow, and crashing.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I have all the proof I need that today's generation is entirely too coddled. For this young student (my first office referral), apparently "please [follow a district wide rule]" was not nice enough for the student to comply and was "treating [the student] like a dog." Two requests and a request for the offending object received sneers of "that's mean!" and "You ain't gettin' my [offending object.]" The student received a free trip to the office and the class got a lesson (including a quick verbal) on insubordination versus polite disagreement and that rules are rules.
    My Primal Battle Tome

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    They also learned that you are not a pushover, which will be helpful for you in the future. Kids devour the weak!

Hope you get plenty of sleep tonight.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    NK, how much did it cost to get all the components for the brushing powder (or did you make it into a paste? Wellness Mama's blend, right?)? I have never had cavities, but Hulky has had plenty & if I can make it taste okay and easy to use, I might make some for him.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Talking about your student that had to be sent to the office, Caitlyn has been to the principals office several times this school for politely making points of disagreement with teachers. One of her teachers sent me an email saying that "Caitlyn is a great student in class, but I do not appreciate her polite debate." I responded with, "I have advised all of my children to question with boldness and do it politely, anything they feel may be incorrect. You can't expect people to learn without questioning and maybe you need to change careers or at least ask yourself WHY you got into teaching in the first place." I never heard another response. Caitlyn has not been sent to the principals office as of late.
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    The student received a free trip to the office and the class got a lesson (including a quick verbal) on insubordination versus polite disagreement and that rules are rules.
    And the smack down has begun. Round one goes to Naiad.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I responded with, "I have advised all of my children to question with boldness and do it politely, anything they feel may be incorrect. You can't expect people to learn without questioning and maybe you need to change careers or at least ask yourself WHY you got into teaching in the first place." I never heard another response. Caitlyn has not been sent to the principals office as of late.

LOL That is great Geo. My response to such students was something like, "Huh, that is interesting, but we don't have time to talk about it now. Write me a 3 - 5 page paper explaining your point. I'll read it and we can discuss it on blah day. If you're right we'll share it with the class."

That way if they really cared they did it. If they were just being argumentative they shut up. Also, I love writing/reading essays so it was fun getting them.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    LOL That is great Geo. My response to such students was something like, "Huh, that is interesting, but we don't have time to talk about it now. Write me a 3 - 5 page paper explaining your point. I'll read it and we can discuss it on blah day. If you're right we'll share it with the class."

That way if they really cared they did it. If they were just being argumentative they shut up. Also, I love writing/reading essays so it was fun getting them.
    One of Caitlyn's teachers did this with her and it was on a topic I am knowledgeable on so I have her some of my knowledge on it, but also had her look up a lot of it. Her teacher asked her where she learned a lot of this from and she said her mom, but she researched most of it to verify what I said. Her teacher asked if I teach, and Caitlyn said, "no, my mom is smart enough to not want to deal with teenagers in a classroom and come to home them." I think I'm doing something right.
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I think I'm doing something right.
    definitely. That is too funny