Page 212 of 249 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2482

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 212

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Congratulations. I am so excited for you! I hope you love it as much as I have for 20+ years.
    I fought becoming a teacher because I hated school so much, the idea of re entering HS and not graduating for 30 years was horrifying. Lol It turns out that my personality and talents were exactly right for the classroom.
    Last night I went out to dinner with my husband. Our waitress was a former student. She said some lovely things to me.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I hope you love it. I think you'll be an awesome teacher. Sometimes I think I might like teaching, but it's a scary prospect. I wouldn't know where to begin! And I'm sure there are plenty of English teachers out there already.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Our waitress was a former student. She said some lovely things to me.
    In Spanish I hope, lol....

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I hope you love it. I think you'll be an awesome teacher. Sometimes I think I might like teaching, but it's a scary prospect. I wouldn't know where to begin! And I'm sure there are plenty of English teachers out there already.
    Don't underestimate yourself, I agree it would be bloody scary though, and there's never enough teachers!

Belated congrats Naiad, I concurs with NW, you'll make a great teacher!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I fought it because I was told my entire life "teachers don't make enough to survive" and I wasn't sure I had the patience for stupidity. Upon hearing starting pay (more than my engr starting pay), I kept fighting to "use" my engr degree in a "useful" way, which obviously bombed.
    I'm kinda basing my strategy off several teachers I loved throughout school. The ones that kept you engaged whether you liked the subject or not. The ones that pushed you until you thought you'd given your best and then shoved you to make you do better, because they knew you could. The ones that took a poor bullied girl from Oak Cliff and turned her into the "take no shit" woman you see here today.
    I think I will enjoy it. I've loved tutoring. I love teaching people new things. The bright spots in my engineering career were the days I could hand knowledge down to the next generation. There's something about know I'm doing something that will affect the future (in a meaningful way) that tugs at me. That was a big reason I went into civil. Buildings and pipe systems long outlive their designers. Now I can actively touch (no, not that way) the future every damn day and impart new knowledge every damn day. Even better, I'll be licensed (eventually) in the things I have a passion in: physics and mathematics.
    That's not saying I'm walking in with clouds in my eyes about how everything and every day will be perfect. I'm well aware there will be hard days. I'm well aware there will be disagreements with policy (like No Child Gets Ahead.) I'm well aware there will be kids I just won't get through to, no matter how hard I try. But if I can convince just one kid that physics isn't a boring waste of their time, I'm happy.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    In Spanish I hope, lol....
    Unfortunately no, but she did say that I was one of her favorites. She remembered that I would always give bus passes to her and her friend Anna even if they did not stay with me for extra help. In other words, she loved me because I was a push over.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I fought it because I was told my entire life "teachers don't make enough to survive" and I wasn't sure I had the patience for stupidity. Upon hearing starting pay (more than my engr starting pay), I kept fighting to "use" my engr degree in a "useful" way, which obviously bombed.
    I'm kinda basing my strategy off several teachers I loved throughout school. The ones that kept you engaged whether you liked the subject or not. The ones that pushed you until you thought you'd given your best and then shoved you to make you do better, because they knew you could. The ones that took a poor bullied girl from Oak Cliff and turned her into the "take no shit" woman you see here today.
    I think I will enjoy it. I've loved tutoring. I love teaching people new things. The bright spots in my engineering career were the days I could hand knowledge down to the next generation. There's something about know I'm doing something that will affect the future (in a meaningful way) that tugs at me. That was a big reason I went into civil. Buildings and pipe systems long outlive their designers. Now I can actively touch (no, not that way) the future every damn day and impart new knowledge every damn day. Even better, I'll be licensed (eventually) in the things I have a passion in: physics and mathematics.
    That's not saying I'm walking in with clouds in my eyes about how everything and every day will be perfect. I'm well aware there will be hard days. I'm well aware there will be disagreements with policy (like No Child Gets Ahead.) I'm well aware there will be kids I just won't get through to, no matter how hard I try. But if I can convince just one kid that physics isn't a boring waste of their time, I'm happy.
    What you posted here is why you should succeed as a teacher. You are realistic in your expectations as a teacher, but you know you can impact lives. As one if my favorite teachers told me recently, "knowing that I have made an impact on one life in my years of teaching made my career choice a great one." She's been retired for about 10-12 years, but she now tutors ESL kids in town. Still one of the sweetest women I know.

Thanks, Geo. That means a lot.
    Now, I'm getting concerned about the weight loss. It's still going down. This morning is my lowest adult weight: 109 lb. I measured myself. Roughly 20.5% body, upper end of the "athletic" range. (25.5" waist, 35.5" hips. 12" neck) I'm not athletic, by my definition. I don't go out my way to work out. Yes, I do housework and yardwork and such, but I spend my time on my ass, given the option. I generally only eat one meal a day, mostly because I'm not hungry enough for other meal.
    I remember having this issue as a kid: I couldn't keep the weight on. I ate and ate and ate, and couldn't get out of underweight/ lower end of acceptable. I wonder if suddenly having this issue again means that I'm finally on the right thyroid dose and my thyroid is as close to fixed as it's gonna get.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    How big is this one meal? If your thyroid is all hunky dory and you are under-eating, it would be be surprising if you're losing weight.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of a pound of meat, 1-3 cups veggies and 1-2 tbsp fat. Wow. I'm not even hitting 1000 cal most days. Time to figure out how to eat more.
    My Primal Battle Tome

I met half my classes today.
    6th and 7th period was a decent batch of kids. There were a few budding engineers in each class and a few who had very little experience building anything. Most were right in the middle.
    8th period is definitely going to be a challenge. They're a bit of a wild bunch. Not bad kids, that I can tell, just full of energy and ready to let it loose because it's the end of the day. There are a couple of inclusion kids in there (special ed students that they're trying to adapt to regular classes with modified assignments.) I think I can identify one of them because he couldn't keep still and had a LOT of difficulty paying attention.
    There was also a little mini me in there. This girl is almost exactly as I was at that age. She's already talking about how I'm going to be her favorite teacher.
    I think they seemed to like me. Most of them seemed to like the idea that I (to take it out of the nicer phrasing) could be a cool teacher or the world's greatest bitch, depending on how they acted. They also seemed to like the idea that I'm willing to help them from the ground floor, if only they ask.
    I think this'll work.
    My Primal Battle Tome