Page 185 of 278 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2774

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 185

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Last night must've either been a great night or rough night for sleep. In addition to the dizzy this morning, I still have a sleep hangover. No headache, but the rest is there.
    Cost estimates at work today. Almost as much fun as watching paint dry.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Almost as much fun as watching paint dry.
    Good luck not getting overwhelmed with the excitment.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Urk. How can people eat cookies this early in the morning? Someone brought in a tray of grocery store chemicookies and folks are scarfing them down. Ew.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a touch of vertigo. Had that once & it was miserable. If I blinked I puked! Sinus issues will do that...I had an inner ear infection I didn't even know I had. Hubby had to take me to the ER. They gave me something...don't remember what. After awhile it went away & I've never had it since!! Could your blood sugar have been low maybe? I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you feel better.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

I think I just got up too fast. Everything seems fine now. The thought of food actually makes me mildly nauseated this morning.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Skipped eating lunch, wasn't hungry. Went and got my boots retapped during lunch. Took the guy all of 5 minutes and cost me all of $5. I would've paid more for a pair of taps and shipping.
    Didn't get to sweeping the porches before dark. I'll still sweep/ mop/ vacuum the house after dinner. The curry is taking a while. (Well, Geek's rice is taking a while.)
    My Primal Battle Tome

This is mostly just getting stuff out of my head. Feel free not to read.
    The more I think on the link between childhood and adult eating, the stronger the connection becomes. While I can't say we were ever welfare poor (or if we were, no one ever sought it), food was a precious commodity. Most of my childhood (from about the time I was 7 or 8) my parents were spending half to 3/4 of the income just to pay off debt through a credit counseling service. Tack on gas, car, and mortgage and that left very little for food. It was very rarely not enough, but I remember a few sleepless nights because there wasn't enough of dinner for one or both parents. (They ate the fallbacks of ramen or cereal.) I remember several nights a month where dinner was whatever you scrounged around the kitchen.
    I took my lunch from 7th grade on, because we didn't qualify for free lunch and even the reduced rate was too much. $0.40/ day ($.030/ day if you bought a lunch card and prefilled it a month at a time) was fine in elementary, but $1.50 for a lunch that wasn't enough anyways was out of our league. Most days it was a sandwich (wheat bread, not white, and 1/3 pack of the kind of lunchmeat that sells for a $1 a pack/ serving, maybe American cheese), chips, a piece of whatever fruit was in season (usually apples or oranges from the 3 lb sack), and a drink. If dinner had been one of my favorites, I took cold leftovers.
    Dinner was always a toss up between Hamburger/ Tuna Helper (with double to triple the noodles to stretch it), fend for yourself, or Dad cooking. If Dad was cooking, it was usually spag with homemade sauce, grilled fud, or stir fry, every once in a while something new. As we got older, I did more and more of the cooking or helping Dad with dinner.
    We rarely went out, usually only for a birthday or anniversary or special celebration. When we did, we kids knew to look at menu prices before ordering. It was never explicitly stated, just something we picked up from the edges of conversations. Once you could order off the grown- up menu, anything over $10 got you the hairy eyeball.
    When we were small, Mom would generally dish up the food at the stove and we ate at the table. You ate all of your dinner and drank all of your milk before you left the table, unless it really was just too big a portion, in which case it went to the cat. Once we were old enough to reach the stove, we served ourselves. "Take what you want, eat what you take" was the cry of the dinner table. It was a precarious balance between not taking so much that you couldn't finish it and taking enough so you didn't hafta hope for seconds. (With 5 mouths, there usually weren't seconds.) If you didn't like dinner, tough, eat it anyways. I was the exception to that, because of what is now known to be the sulfite allergy. If it would give me a headache or make me throw up, I was allowed to have cereal.
    Cereal, Knockoff Boyardee, and ramen were always the two foods we had around the house. We might be out of everything else, but there was always ramen or milk and cereal. Those are still comfort foods for me. They made the money seem not so tight.
    There was always meat at dinner, but it was usually ground beef or canned tuna. Judging by the grease poured off, I guess it was 70/30 beef.
    Like I said, we weren't poor, but we usually hovered right on the edge. I know Mom and Dad talked food stamps and WIC at one point, because I remember hearing "I will not feed the kids like street animals!" at the end of an argument.
    We kids were taught the value of a dollar early. We helped Mom and Dad cut up the credit cards. My allowance as of 1995 was $2/ week, raised to $5/ week in 1998, and dropped to $20/ week on the rare occasion Dad had cash. No chores? No money.
    I keep saying we weren't poor, but thinking about the bill conversations and heated whispers, as well as what I know the house cost, I don't know how far above poverty we were. I know it could've been more comfortable without the credit bill, but I think Dad earned the equivalent of my current salary when I was in high school. I know money was touch and go every other week. We were raised to believe... well, that money isn't everything but it sure as hell helps.
    I will say that a tight food budget as a kid has taught me to stretch my food dollar as an adult. We kids had to tell Mom what the cereal cost, watch her do he mental math, and get approval before we put it in the cart. Snacks and sodas never made it into the budget until I was in late high school, and even then it was only for my lunches. I still cringe at paying over $1-2/ lb on produce. I still look for the cheapest cut of meat or deepest sale and stuff it in the freezer. I'm not above taking someone else's hunting spoils if they offer it. I've been known to buy a ridiculously cheap cut of meat and look up a recipe later. I can usually get dinner for 2 for 5 days for $20-30, $40 if I splurge, $60 if I need household supplies. I know I can do 5 days worth of food for two +1 day for 5 on $20/ week, I did it on unemployment. We ate a lot of curry, spag, and cheap cuts.
    I watch other folks just blow their money on stupid shit, like keeping up with the Joneses, and then complain about being broke, and just wonder. We grew up with "reduce, reuse, recycle" and "use it up, wear it out, make do, or go without." Most of the clothing my parents bought for us came off the clearance rack or from the thrift store (in some cases, both.) Uniforms actually made it more expensive on my parents. We all wore hand me downs (mine came from an older cousin and my youngest sister tended to be the last to wear it before it went to Goodwill.) We were taught to look down on visible labels and logos, and that popular clothing tended to be junk. I took pride in wearing Hawaiian shirts, tank tops, and cargo pants to school. I loved those Army Navy surplus pants quite literally to death (crotch rot.)
    I guess things are different when you grow up on a budget. I knew girls who spent thousands of dollars on prom. My grandparents bought my dress, I went stag (doe?), and did my own hair and nails. Total cost to me? $10. Total cost to my parents? gas to and from the venue and a roll of film. To this day, I prefer to use things until they die, go obsolete, or cost more to maintain than to sell. We go through kitchen towels crazy fast, but I'd rather do a load of kitchen towels than use paper towels. I think the only thing we use paper towels for is things that would destroy a regular towel, like glue and foam, and blowing our noses. I see people buying things that they really can't possibly need. Who the hell needs an avocado cutter or a fancy butter holder? Use a knife and a small plate. I see people throwing out perfectly good furniture because it wasn't in fashion. Really? If it works, use it. Reupholster it if it ain't pretty enough. My love seat is older than I am, and the couch I'm sitting on is at least 20 years old. Both are still serviceable. Ugly as hell, but that's what slipcovers are for.
    Are we the only ijits out there that will abide by Depression rules? Are we the only freaks who don't give two shits about the Joneses? I know we can't be, but it sure as hell seems like we are.
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You are not the only ones. I don't really give a flying fuck about how matchy my furniture is. It's all serviceable. The only furniture we've bought for our place: our beds & our dressers, and all were bought before we lived together (one bed & dresser each, though we bought the shared dresser together). In the living alone, we have: steam trunk coffee table (my mom's), my grandfather's recliner (the comfiest La-z-Boy ever, possibly 20 yrs old), couch from Hulky's parents, two side tables (from my parents & from my grandma), and the entertainment center (Hulky's parents' attic). Don't forget the rug (my mom). Oh right, there's another chair that was a curb find, THAT really needs to be replaced. I can't imagine how much we would have had to spend if we'd bought any of this.

Hulky and I got by on frozen veg, rice, potatoes, and cheap cuts of meat (read: CAFO)... well, we mostly still are, just add squash for me. I'm looking into more reusable house maintenance stuff, like kitchen towels instead of paper towels. My parents were comfortably middle class so this is all pretty new to me. Hulky's childhood was probably like yours, I think. It's funny though because I'm the one who worries more about money. Probably because he has a better sense of how to use it than I do, though I'm pretty good at saving it up.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I think the only furniture either of us bought was mostly Geek's, long before I showed up. The only furniture in the house that's newer than us being together is the book cases.
    My alarm didn't go off. I woke up at 0745, freaked out, ran around, and was only 5 minutes late to work.
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Blugh, I hate rushing in the AM. Glad you got in quickly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).