Page 15 of 272 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 15

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow. Busy Lady. I have several work projects on the burner for the next two days as well. I will be so happy when they are done.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My brain is trying to get twitchy about how that one project is falling out.
    My boss is the engineering manager. She's a great woman, but her specialties in the civil world are more closely related to the development side than mine. The lead owner of the company (one of the men the firm is named for) is an awesome engineer, but again seems to have his 30+ years in development only. I can't say this is a problem, as the firm itself is largely a development firm, and it's good to learn from those that know.
    I won't pretend like I haven't made any learning mistakes along the way. Prior to this firm, my experience had been regulatory and environmental, for the most part. I've flubbed a couple times, but not made that particular mistake again. It's good to work at a place where a mistake isn't the end of the world and it's recognized that shit happens.
    The project that I've largely been leading from the shadows is a TCEQ paperwork project. The client is putting in a system to remove a certain nasty from the water, and it's a new method.
    Originally, they accepted it not knowing a damn thing except the name the client had given them. My bosses and the rest of us engineers scratched our heads on it, and I suggested that it may be what it turned out to be (based on exp at the env firm.) Fast forward a week or two, and my boss comes in, admits her chem memory is fuzzy at best, and asks me to look at the reports and help her out. I point out what's likely happening with the system the client has chosen, which could cause another regulated contaminant to skyrocket when it's already high. After I got that ironed out with the client and vendor, my boss asked me to help her with the P&ID flowchart, because she was completely lost. After we puzzled that out, she asked me to walk her through what I could of the rest of the regulatory paperwork so she could start typing up some of it. I get to talk to the client today because it involves chemistry and environmental type questions, which she flat out said she wouldn't understand the responses to.
    I don't mind being more knowledgeable on a topic than my boss on a topic. That's part of why I'm there; if we all had the same strength and specialties, we'd be a pretty weak civil firm. I also don't think she minds when I'm able to step in and help her do the heavy lifting work behind the curtain. I'm leery, though. I've gotten into problems with other places when it turned out I knew more than the bosses; two led to me being canned and the other I got out before I was canned. I love helping folks, especially when they're lost, but for all I know, I maybe shooting myself in the foot again.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    She's asking you for help, so I'm inclined to think this is a good thing. Fingers crossed, anyway.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...that is a tough spot Naiad, and I think a lot of it comes down to the boss involved. Personally, I agree with you. Different people have different strengths. It is a meshing of these strengths that makes the company work. I may be the best hammer in the world, but sometimes a job requires a screwdriver. I'm not going to fire the screwdriver because it turns screws better than I do. I would like to think that your bosses appreciate the knowledge and skills you have and will reward you for it.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    And you might throw a bit of butter their way occasionally- ask them to explain something from THEIR fields, and then comment how great it is to learn from someone who really knows their stuff. Even bosses like to be appreciated.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I can see where you'd be a bit leery in this situation. I say go with it, don't get too cocky and if you do have any concerns, it seems as if the owner and boss could be open enough to want to work with you on your concerns. Sounds like a good company IMO.
    Georgette

I've decided to go with it. She was in my office as soon as she could get away from thr phone this morning, so I'm not horribly worried. Sabine, I've asked for help several times, mostly because I've never really done development, so I'm unfamiliar with some of the codes and regs. It just threw me.
    I go to the dentist for the first time in nearly a decade this evening after work. Not particularly looking forward to knowing what kind of damage is there, aside from the cavity know about, and really not looking forward to paying some asshole to stick his fingers in my mouth. Not really my fetish.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the dentist!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Oh, I neglected to mention a change in the supplement/ pill regimen a week or so ago: I removed the selenium, just out of curiosity. Bam. Seafood cravings gone; matter of fact, seafood is about the last thing I want most days.
    Also, for those looking to nuke your allergies to kingdom come with meds, may I suggest a combination of Singulair and Allegra? That combo has me clearer than I've been in quite a while.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    FYI, deep frying corndogs and French fries tonight in the dutch oven you got us as a wedding present.

I swear, cast iron is the best present EVER.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly