Page 115 of 279 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2785

Thread: Still on the Warpath: Naiadknight's Battle Tome page 115

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Good thinking with the savings. Hulky and I are trying to decide how to tackle my loans. After we get through his (car & medical, so fairly minimal), he wants to start tackling my student loans as a joint venture. Seems odd to me, since it's such a personal debt, but it will get us to larger savings & moving on/out/away much faster, so that is good! Interest rates are confusing to me. I thought none of mine would change, but then I saw one at 6.8% and I'm pretty sure it used to be 6.5%. At least that's the smallest balance one and the others have definitely not changed. I'll knock that sucker out first!
    Once you're married, your credit will affect his, unless every single time you borrow money from now until death you only do it as a single person and not as a married couple. In recent months, because of debt ratios, Brad and I have had to apply for things jointly if we wanted a good rate. If you were to buy a hosue together, chances are you'd apply jointly, in which case your personal debt will be a factor. You two are a team now. Very seldom will there be a situation of your money vs his money. As a married couple, things change and even stuff from our pasts have to be tackled as a team instead of singly. We paid of Brad's student loans before we were even married (he only borrowed $3500 - compared to my $50,000). It might be MY debt, but it's our problem b/c it affects our household finances. It's nice that he's thinking this way already. It'll make things so much easier when they're legally just as much his burden as they are yours (at least, that's how it works in Iowa).
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    NK, congrats on defeating another debt. it's such an awesome feeling.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    This one wasn't as critical as the other. I did it mostly to give myself peace of mind. The loan maturity date on the car is August 2014. If I really went balls to the wall on it and allowed for little to no pleasure money and didn't sock back to savings, I could probably pay it off by May or June. I've been burnt too much to do that, though.
    I finally went home sick about 1430. I came home and crashed for 3.5 hrs. I feel slightly better, but not by much.
    Having a fb talk with my youngest sister. She's dating one of Dad's friend's sons (one of her longest running to date) and trying to figure out how/ when to tell the parents. She's also trying to figure out how to get someone to give her driving time so she can get her license. (Tells you how much Mom and Dad care- all 3 of us were of or very near drinking age before we learned to drive.) She got an internship with Bell Helicopter this summer, but that's in Ft Worth (She lives in a suburb north of Dallas.) I'm glad she trusts me enough to tell me this stuff though, even f I may not get ALL of it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

The douchebag neighbors have been replaced by rational pod people. I wrote them a note the morning after our discussion, apologizing for hosing his dogs down and some of the less savory parts or our discussion, as well as thoroughly explaining why we want their dogs to be quiet and what we have done on our end to drown the dogs out. The guy came over today and said that he had replaced the gate with a solid gate so that the dogs hopefully wouldn't bark as much, being unable to see through the gate. He even wants us to let him know whether or not it works! I'm not sure who these people are, but I like having rational neighbors.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Still feeling shitty, but not as bad. Sleeping a fair chunk of yesterday evening and afternoon helped but not enough. Trying to determine whether I need to go to work or not.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Thanks, doc. I decided to go with socking back to pay off the house, as the house has a higher interest rate and significantly more owed. Also socking back to pay off these things, as opposed to paying extra each month, means I have a slush fund if things go south.
    One thing to consider about interest is that you can write house interest payments off your taxes, but not the others ( unless the rules have changed for student loans) , so that interest rate would need to be like 25-30% higher, plus house loans have the interest paid up front which is another wrench in the works when trying to figure out what to pay off first. Another thing to consider is that the money you stash in the bank will earn almost no interest these days. A slush fund is definitely a must, but make sure you consider these factors as well ( and maybe you have - I know you are a smart cookie) when choosing what to pay first and when.

Kudos for paying off your loan - being debt free is a wonderful freedom that I know you will experience one day

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Glad your neighbors are being reasonable. Sorry you are feeling ill. Think it's a bug or just general run-down-ness?

MF, student loan interest can still be written off on taxes. It gives me a little bit more money every year once I enter them (though I guess I've only had to enter them in taxes two years now, being in my third year of pay-off).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, I think it's Form 1099- INT. We can also write off interest accrued in my savings account, as well as the house (and part of the payments, I think, under the homestead exemption.) It came down to which "cost" more each month and how things would hurt if we got well and truly fucked. I can get a deferral if I absolutely have to on the student loans. If we lose the house, we're truly up shit creek. Getting the house paid off would give us shelter if things went to hell, and something to borrow against, if it came down to that. Paying off the student loans does nothing for us in terms of equity or physical protection. Once I get the car paid off, we should both be able to funnel an extra 500-1k a month into the joint savings. Once his gets paid off, that'll go up again. That's in addition to the savings chunk built in to the monthly bill pay pull. Within the joint accounts alone, we have 3 months bills (it may be 4 or 5 now) set back if we both lose our jobs and 6 months if only one loses their job. That's not including what he has stashed in his checking or what I have stashed in my checking and savings. We have a plan that'll work, it involves me staying employed long enough to make it work.
    Which, in turn, involves me not getting sick. I think this is actual sick, not burn out. No fever or outward indicators, just the "oh god, I really don't have the energy to move", lack of appetite, and sleeping a lot.
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Awesome savings plan. I wish we could get to that point sooner! We don't even have one month's worth of rent saved right now, so you can imagine my worry about getting money saved up for a wedding.

Feel better! Drink some KE Tea .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Y'all'll get there. It just takes time. (yeah, I know, I hate hearing that line, too.)
    I just took a hot bath in the hopes of driving out whatever is causing this illness. I feel a little better, but not as much as I'd hoped. Aleve didn't do squat.
    I wish I knew how accurate the iodine patch test really is. Some sources say it's a joke, some say it's better than any other test and I can't seem to find an answer I'm comfortable with. It wouldn't surprise me if I was low in iodine (I tend to avoid salt without realizing it, and being landlocked means seafood is overpriced.) I just don't want to start a potentially harmful therapy if the test means little to nothing more than a guess. I know that, with my results, he'll want to start me on some form of iodine or sea vegetables. I'm kinda hoping for the veggies, because at least that way, my body can take only what it wants and waste the rest. Then again, if the patch test is useful and reliable, then drops/ pills would heal me more quickly, I think. I dunno. I never took the whole iodine deficiency thing seriously, mostly because of the original spouter on the boards here. I knew it existed, but I figured that iodized salt meant that very few people got it.
    He also mentioned selenium deficiency, which I highly doubt. I know how that manifests in me and I haven't gotten the cravings recently.
    He mentioned that it could be my adrenal glands dragging down my thyroid production. I'm not sure on that one. I mean, my original diagnosis was during a very stress period in my life, so it would make sense that adrenal issues caused thyroid issues, but that doesn't sound right, in terms of what I've experimented with. If it actually is true, awesome, I can actually "cure" my thyroid issue eventually. I'm just not putting money on it without further proof.
    He did say that it appeared to be simply that I need Armour or the like, and these tests are just to double check that.
    I hate being in limbo, but this is more answer than I've had to date.
    My Primal Battle Tome