Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a green bean recipe for Thanksgiving page

Pomegranate is offline Junior Member

Looking for a green bean recipe for Thanksgiving

Primal Fuel
    Any suggestions? Maybe some sort of primal green bean casserole?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Render bacon in pan. Add a little garlic and onion, saute until fragrant. Add green beans, saute until tender.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Oven roasted in bacon fat. Sprinkle of sea salt. Done.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm already making something bacon wrapped, so any other ideas? Don't want my guests to leave smelling like bacon. ;-) Green beans sauteed with garlic works, but is too much of an everyday dish to use.

Edcat is offline Junior Member
    I saute my green beens in butter with chopped walnuts. Keep going till the butter turn a bit brown. Looks pretty in a white bowl with the butter and walnuts poured over.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I generally don't do anything more than bacon and onions in water (after appropriately sauteed), sometimes throw some potatoes in as well. If you want something a bit different I like to toss them with butter and slivered radishes, but that tends to be a bit more summery.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Saute in butter or lard, add dried cranberries and pecans just before serving.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Here's a slightly complicated recipe, but it pretty closely duplicates the non-primal "green bean casserole" that so many people like. Except this one tastes a LOT better!

Green Bean Casserole

Unsalted butter for baking dish, plus 2 Tbs.
    Olive or coconut oil for frying, plus 1 Tbs.
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Cayenne pepper, to taste
    6 large shallots, peeled and SLICED into thin rings
    1 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 cup finely CHOPPED shallots
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 lb. green beans, trimmed, halved and blanched

Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.

In a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer (to fry the sliced shallots in).

Season the sliced shallots with salt, black pepper, and cayenne; toss to coat evenly. Working in batches, fry the shallots until golden brown and lightly crisped, 5 to 6 minutes. Lay on paper towels so they stay crisp, lightly season with salt, and set aside.

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1 Tbs. oil and melt the 2 Tbs. butter. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the chopped shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. While stirring constantly, slowly add the cream. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green beans and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the fried shallot rings on top.

Transfer to the oven and bake until the edges are bubbling and the top is browned, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    We make a similar casserole except onions are sautéed and mixed in with the green beans, no mushrooms, sub sour cream for the heavy cream and sprinkle the top with sharp cheddar before baking.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

That sounds delicious!!! I am going to make this for Thanksgiving. Will let you know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast