Thread: Michael Clarke Duncan page

AlanC is offline Senior Member

Michael Clarke Duncan

Primal Fuel
    Couldn't help but notice this...

Michael Clarke Duncan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2009, he stopped eating meat and later appeared in a PETA ad campaign, touting the health benefits and his increased strength from a vegetarian diet.[14][15]

Illness and death
    On July 13, 2012, Duncan was taken to a hospital after suffering a heart attack...[19]

Things that make you 'Mmmm'

AC

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Um yeah, we discussed this months ago when it was still news.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65396.html
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Oh.

AC

mrh1968 is offline Junior Member
    not every one reads every posting

MeatMaker is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for posting. I was one of the folks who missed it the first time.

canio6 Guest
    My doctor and I talked about this at my annual physical. We were talking about BMI and how I basically think it is bullshit since it does not take muscle mass etc into account. His point was that while you may be labelled 'obese' and just be buff as hell, your body still has to move blood/account for your size, which can put a huge strain on your heart. As such, it was far more likely his being built like a Mack truck that did it not his diet.

Either way, he was great to watch on screen, and I'll miss his acting. I've found that it is best for me to ignore what celebrities eat and say and focus on what they do on screen. Otherwise, I'd never watch another movie.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    My doctor and I talked about this at my annual physical. We were talking about BMI and how I basically think it is bullshit since it does not take muscle mass etc into account.
    BMI values do not take muscle mass into account, but the brackets (under weight, healthy, overweight, obese, morbidly obese) do. If you are a 170 pound, 6 foot man you will be around healthy range. If you are a 170 6 foot women you will be more into the overweight range, because men have more lean mass then women on average.
    Additionally the muscle mass is essentially irrelevant since your average person does not have significant muscle mass to overestimate BMI. Very few people will be overweight/obese because of their muscles.

Ultimately though nobody uses BMI as a be all, end all, measurement. No medical professional reads a chart and says "This guy's BMI is 45, we better operate on him right away!". It works as a quick tool to assess your weight and therefore the impact on your health (or as an indicator of your health). Its used in statistics to represent the change in obesity/overweight in time. Since America has not put on 100 pounds of muscle in the last 100 years, BMI works.

Basically BMI is fine provided you don't think its the only measurement of health. Only fat people complain about BMI seriously.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Basically BMI is fine provided you don't think its the only measurement of health. Only fat people complain about BMI seriously.
    Understood, but there have been posts here where people with low amounts of body fat have been labeled 'obese' by their doctors due to BMI. (If I recall correctly zoebird's husband was one). I find any system that labels someone as obese due to body mass not due to body fat lame. Now, just because I am labeled obese because I am does not change that. That said, looking at it from a body mass standpoint where anything over X amount of mass = a strain on the body it makes much more sense. At least to me, which frankly is all that matters, to me.