Thread: HIIT & Empty Stomach page

fateater is offline Member

HIIT & Empty Stomach

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What do you think about doing HIIT on an empty stomach? I googled it and ended up with so many different opinions, some say you'll lose muscle? I don't want to do that, I want to lose body fat and maintain my strength and lean mass.

Today was the first time I tried it, I was on the elliptical. I had already pushed a stroller and 40lb child on a power walk to an appointment first thing in the morning, after coffee and 1 hard boiled egg. I probably walked 30 minutes before getting to the gym. By the time I began, the egg was 2 hours prior.

I had INSANE energy ;p I warmed up and then was doing 45 and 60 sec full out as hard as I could go, and then would rest for anywhere between 30 and 120 seconds. I know this isn't like a 'technically correct' way, but it was my first time trying it, and I kept that up for 20 minutes and felt like I could go longer, but it was time to go pick up my lil' one. And it felt so good

Anyway, I'm going to try again later this week. I think 2x week is probably sufficient, given the other stressors in my life right now. But like I said, I don't want to lose muscle or anything.

I'm eating high fat, low carb and it's been 2 weeks. I think the suppressed appetite kicked in today for the first time in full effect. My mood is way more balanced and steady and positive as well. Hence the sudden drive to exercise. I'm starting to feel like I might be fat adapting

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Question for you if you don't mind.

Why do you feel like your "fat adapting"? I"ve been doing this for sometime, pretty strict about it. Carbs are way down, daily. I can't even get a Ketostix to turn colour that I'm in Ketosis. ? Just curious what you are feeling/experiancing.

I use to do the HIIT on treadmill every 3rd day religiously and stopped after reading everything here about fitness. Is it right? I have no idea. I walk almost daily for an hour and cover 5.5 kms. I've sprinted two times, in the last month; 6 times for 20 seconds as fast as I could go, with 8 days between. My right knee is killing since, so I haven't done any sprints. Never had that happen on the treadmill, did this outside. ??????
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

fateater is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Question for you if you don't mind.

Why do you feel like your "fat adapting"? I"ve been doing this for sometime, pretty strict about it. Carbs are way down, daily. I can't even get a Ketostix to turn colour that I'm in Ketosis. ? Just curious what you are feeling/experiancing.
    Well to answer that question, I suppose it's mostly an energy-appetite-mood thing.

I can get up in the morning, drink water, have my black coffee and then go out and run errands while carrying a 40lb child, go to the gym and exercise for 30 mins work up a sweat, and still have plenty of energy to walk home, make lunch for the child, and I myself am only moderately hungry.

Before I would have been cranky, super grumpy, irritable with no patience and desperate for a sugar fix! And feeling physically weak to boot.

It's a big change that's for sure Took about 4 weeks total to get the results I experienced the past few days, with the past 2 weeks being pretty strict in terms of low carb 75g total including fiber or less daily. High fat, and not restricting calories.

I don't know it that helps at all. Oh, also my sweat and urine have a different smell than I'm used to.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    As far as energy, if you felt fine, I'd say don't change anything. Personally, I feel steady energy working out in a fasted state. Ironically, I just did an INTENSE Crossfit WOD yesterday morning while fasting and felt even more powerful than when I eat a bunch before.

As for preservation of muscle mass, I've read/heard that taking 10 grams of Branched-Chain Amino Acids pre-workout can help prevent muscle breakdown.... then again, if you eat high protein during your eating window and have consumed a decent amount of fat, you shouldn't have to worry (if you're fat adapting). I never feel the need to consume "pre-workout carbs" anymore. I could be mistaken, but I think this is how it works...