Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here with a few questions page

Shelly6 is offline Member

New here with a few questions

Hi all---

I've been going Primal since mid September and have been very pleased so far with the results (more, even energy, better teeth/skin/hair, etc). I do have a few questions I'd like to pose...

For one, I am deathly allergic to fish. Any fish, and any sea creature, which pretty much makes sea vegetation and sea food out of the question. On a few occasions I've had sea salt, my lips swell up. I've read about taking certain kinds of fish oil, but that's obviously out of the question. Should I be supplementing with Omega 3's? I currently take Flax Oil, and have been for almost 2 years with no real noticeable problems.

Secondly: HOW DO I FINALLY DROP THE LAST PIECES OF NON-PRIMAL FOOD?? In all honesty, I used to live on 3-4 cans of soda per day, doughnuts, and pre-made stuff. My idea of a "good" meal was a double cheeseburger and fries with organic ketchup I've ditched fast food and soda and cookies and doughnuts...any "goodies" I want is made here at home with organic, primal friendly ingredients (NO grains, NO sugars). My biggest downfall of late is organic peanut butter...I could eat it by the jar, no fooling. Before I gave up sugar, PB was kind of an "eh, it's good but not to die for". (There is no sugar in the peanut butter I buy....peanuts, oil, and salt). However, I would like to drop some body fat and I know that spoonfuls of nut butters per day can't be helping (to say the least....)

I get all my meat and eggs from a local farmer...all grass fed beef, chicken, turkey, and the best damned bacon and sausages on the planet. (Imagine! A pack of sausages without an ingredients list that's 2 miles long!) We also own a cow share, so we do get raw milk (about 1 gallon per 2 weeks). When I run out, I wait...I don't buy from the grocery store. I've cut back on fruits (though not cut them out 100%), and I stick to berries and apples. I've cut back on sweet potatoes, from daily (heh) to about once or twice a week. I've hated vegetables with a passion since my childhood but have learned to like zucchini, squashes, peppers, and big ass salads...

Also, since sea food and sea vegetation is out of the question, should I be eating more than pork/bacon, chicken, turkey, and beef?

Any ideas to curtail the peanut butter binge monster and/or any suggestions on the Omega 3 supplementation (if needed) would be appreciated Thanks!

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    All of my cravings seemed to go away slowly with no effort on my part. First it was nuts, then, fruit, and now, I pass on the morning coffee. I have been Primal since June 1.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Easiest way to cut out something you overindulge in is to stop buying it. Peanuts are legumes, not nuts.

fresa is offline Member
    I know when I was starting out, the best way for me to cut out anything that wasn't primal was to not buy it. If it's not around, you can't eat it. If that isn't a viable option (family member throws a fit or something), what also worked for me was to just eat primal. For example, if I was craving ice cream, I would instead grab some sweet potato, squash, or another veggie/meat I liked and eat that instead. It may not be the perfect solution, but I found that when starting out, stuffing my face with primal foods was key because I got used to eating only that. Because you are fighting a craving rather than real hunger, eat it slowly and drag it out. Soon you won't even want that other bad stuff, trust me. You'll try it and it'll make you feel sick. Once you get beyond that, only eating when you are hungry comes pretty naturally. Another thing I used to do was drink tea if I had a craving. Again, not perfect, but 3 cups of tea is better than a jar of peanut butter!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Go cold turkey. Throw away all your non-primal junk foods. Can't eat it if you don't have it in the house, and that drive to the grocery store might make you reconsider wanting to binge. As for omega-3s, you don't need to take a supplement, you can get healthy fats from eggs, nuts (not peanuts, they're a legume), avocados, coconut oil, etc.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I'm allergic to fish too! From the research I've done the Omega-3 in flax is basically useless anyway. The only good forms of DHA that don't come from fish are from omega-3 eggs, grassfed meat and algae. They are hard to find but you can buy Vegitarian Omega-3 that is flax free and made from Blue-green algae in capsules but they are expensive (Flora makes some) . I take a half dose and fill the rest of my diet with good grassfed meats and eggs daily. Good luck!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    ^ I second that. I've also heard omega-3s from flax are crap.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Graycat is online now Senior Member
    I would recommend very low carb for a couple of weeks as a tool for getting rid of cravings and weight loss jump start. Just basic meat, fat and veggies type of diet.
    As far as O3 supplementation goes, i wouldn't worry about that given that all fats consumed are of the natural, healthy kind.
    Last edited by Graycat; 11-20-2012 at 05:05 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    The O3 from flax seed is ALA (not DPA or EHA). It's not terribly bioavailable. Very few people can actually "use" it (process it so that it's helpful to your body, instead of just passing through). I agree that looking into an algae-based O3 supplement might be worthy. You can, however, get enough O3 from eating pastured eggs and meat from quality sources (pastured pork, free-range chicken, grass-fed beef).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    A word from the other side:

I would not worry about the peanut butter for at least six months. MAYBE try having more true nut butters instead, but only if you like them. Sounds like you have done great so far, and legume butter is not the worst 20% you can have. More than likely, you will naturally eat less and less of it as you get used to the primal way of eating. Two months isn't that long, and look how much you have already done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast