Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Marissa page 2

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here is WHY your diet is tripping you up:

Unlike other diets, you're actually changing the way your body does business. Primal works by converting your metabolic hormone system from sugar-burner to fat-burner. We have the DNA to make hormones which either burn fat or burn sugar. When your diet is based on carbs or sugar, your body is accustomed to calling on the piece of DNA which makes sugar-burner (or sugar-storage!!) hormones, like insulin. When you eliminate sugar and start filling with fat, suddenly you have a bunch of sugar-burner hormones with nothing to do, and a bunch of fat that you don't know what to do with. Your body goes into shock for a little while. This is carb flu. Then your body says, "Oh we're eating fat now, are we?" and begins to dust off that piece of DNA which makes the fat-burning hormones. This is what Mark Sisson calls "reprogramming your genes." It takes your body about a month (IMO Mark's 21 days is the minimum) to properly ramp up that hormone process. Once your body starts burning the fat you eat, it now knows how to burn the fat you have sticking around. YAY! But in order to force the body to make the hormone switch, it is imperative that you are VERY strict during the first months of Primal. You have to really DEPRIVE your body of sugar/carb in order to FORCE it to get used to making the fat-burner hormones.

Thinking about it that way, it's easy to see WHY all those nuts and dairy trip people up. Dairy has a lot of sugar, the timing of between-meal snacking clashes with the timing of fat-burning, and nuts don't seem to be as effective as animal or coconut fat. You're not forcing your body into fat-burner mode, so your body hangs onto sugar-burner as long as it can and you're back at Square 1. Most people have to do this cold turkey. If you go through carb flu, that's actually a VERY good sign.

Look at sbhikes's meal plan and follow it to the letter. If you're still snacking, eat more fat during the meal until you're stuffed. That will really shock your body into fat-burner mode. Even if you gain a couple pounds, the important thing is to force your body switch those hormones at all costs. You can work on the fat later.

Calories do matter, especially for women. This is kind of a new concept for Primal. While Mark talks about calories in his books, he gave off the impression that we could just eat all we wanted. Petite women were all confused that they're weren't losing. This forum had a bunch of arguments on counting calories... isn't that conventional wisdom, isn't it obsessive? I thought our bodies gave us a stop signal?... After some discussion, the general consensus is that yes, in theory, your stomach know what "all it wants" is, but your emotions can override and it's easy to overeat. Your body will burn fat calories, but it can only burn through so much in a day. If you want to burn the fat you already have, you have to bring less into your mouth. Not counting may work for men, or those who work out a lot, but women have to at least estimate.

However, don't cut down on calories until you're sure you've switched to fat burner. Heal your metabolism first.

Quote from username: Oxide.

Sorry, I had to copypaste this post from another thread, because I found it really interesting. I will try it for a while, see if increasing the fat in meals, will help me kick start those useful hormones.

I'll introduce a protein shake, not to replace a meal, but to fill up the afternoon munchies, Ill let you know if this works or not!

It is so relieving to find out that there are a lot of struggling people at this, despite having become primal to some extent...
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to MDA! It sounds as though you are transitioning from sugar burner to fat burner as has been mentioned already. It is best to be really strict for the first while (at least 21 days) until your body has settled into fat burning mode. Going back and forth to grains is not going to help you at all. For lunch I try to do leftovers, or some kind of breakfast type thing too. You can make big batches of things like egg/veggie muffins or meat muffins (like mini meatloaves) and freeze them. Really quick and easy and loaded with good stuff. I find it is important to have enough veggies with the fat and protein as they also help to control cravings. A lot of times too little fat results in cravings too. If you like butter a dab of that works well as a little snack that can tide you over if hungry. Once you are done transitioning to fat burning mode you will find yourself a lot more energetic and able to skip meals a lot more easily than before. If you need more carbs you need to find ways to increase your intake with starchy veggies and some fruit too. Milk (I only recommend raw milk) is a very good supplement if you are working out a lot ... and if you don't have problems with it of course.... Just a few thoughts. Hang in there and keep on going. The first few weeks can be tough... but soooooo worth it!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and cottage cheese drizzled with olive oil. Coffee (reminder to buy cream).
    Im off to my saturday german lessons, I hope I dont stumble upon a brownie... So, to avoid that Im taking a tupperware with chopped cucumber and tomato and cottage cheese. Will commit to make that my mid morning snack.

Marissa2788 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    If you need more carbs you need to find ways to increase your intake with starchy veggies and some fruit too. Milk (I only recommend raw milk) is a very good supplement if you are working out a lot ... and if you don't have problems with it of course.... Just a few thoughts.
    That's pretty much the strategy I have been taking. When i need carbs i have been doing whatever it takes to stay away from bread... with varying degrees of success. I have stocked up on tons of veggies and some fruit so i have another carb source to reach for when the need hits. Im actually a big fan of veggies so that has been working quiet well the last couple days.

Anyway, I managed to get through the rest of last night ending the day on a high note. This morning i tried a recipe for primal pancakes that Annie suggested. Honestly i was skeptical at first but I found them to be quiet good!

Nice going Marissa! Pancakes with almond or coconut mill?

On your other post i was wondering how did you ever get un-tempted by a baking day with your mom? The smell of baked goods... mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    On your other post i was wondering how did you ever get un-tempted by a baking day with your mom? The smell of baked goods... mmmm...
    I wish i knew for certain. like i said i normally don't make it through those situations unscathed. The only difference being was that i haven't been consuming nearly as many carbs. Even on my not so good days its been under 300g which is actually a significant improvement. Since I started transitioning toward a primal way of eating/life I have noticed I haven't been physically hungry and without that factor cravings are somewhat easier to manage especially the last couple days.

Also I have changed the way I am going about this transition. Instead of telling myself go low carb, which makes me feel like it has eliminated everything i'm just telling myself "no grain at all costs" which still leaves a wide variety of foods available. Some how it makes it feel less like i'm depriving myself and more like i'm protecting myself... if that makes any sense.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it helps to take the transitions in stages. I would say that grains and sugars are your first things to cut out all together - and yes you are protecting yourself The only thing that I find is that if my carb intake gets high enough I do get more cravings ... just what happens for me. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person (and I never liked grains much anyway) so it was really easy for me to toss the grains. Sugar was another story altogether. If I keep my carbs low I feel much better - but then I have a lot of weight to lose still and you don't seem to. We are all different and have different things that work for us. That said, I would find a primal 'replacement' for a few baking type things that you miss. There are some pretty yummy recipes out there - not the same but delicious, and leave you feeling great after eating them instead of wiped out from the grains. I don't know if you have looked at Elana's pantry yet, or the Food lovers kitchen.... and of course here on MDA there are loads of great recipes too. You can really enjoy your food and not feel deprived at all if you get some delicious recipes lined up Good luck.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Ok somehow I managed to pass by two bakeries with fresh bread, muffins and brownies... and didnt go in! I had a salad (drenched in olive oil) for lunch and a handful of blueberries with heavy cream.

Heading to the gym now, hoping to stick to slow cardio!

So this is where i am starting from. 175lbs ish, not sure what BF%. I just want to be a bit leaner

Me 11.24.2012.jpg

There are websites that can approximate BF% by taking some measurements like you are going to the tailor (hips, thighs, bicep, wrist). I like to go to two different sites to corroborate data.

Dinner: grilled steak and grilled bell peppers (and a glass of red wine I know I know... its saturday!).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast